PDA

View Full Version : New job and sick.

Mrsh11
15-05-15, 18:56
I start a new job in 2 days time and have just started with a sore throat and chesty cough. My husband has had a flu type bug for the last week or so but is getting better now. What is worrying me is how to deal with this if I am still sick on my first day. My anxiety is already pretty bad as my last job was awful and I am really hoping for a fresh start but I can't think of a worse way to begin. If I have what my husband had I will be able to work through it but I don't know if I will be allowed water or throat sweets and am terrified of making a bad impression.

Fishmanpa
15-05-15, 19:29
The other side of the coin is... If you show up regardless of feeling ill, it shows dedication in spite of obstacles. They may end up sending you home anyway but making the effort is admirable.

Positive thoughts

.Poppy.
16-05-15, 01:51
What is the job? Most jobs will let you have water and cough drops, unless you work in some environment where it is risky to do so.

I'd show up with a bottle of water and whatever you need to feel better. Apologize, tell them you are getting over something but you didn't want to miss your first day. If they look funny at your water (and I don't know why they would) just say you need it for your throat/cough.

They may just tell you to go home. Or if you feel terribly at lunch, you could always tell them that you're sorry and need to go. I think they'll admire that you tried to come in. People get sick - it happens.

FWIW, I've always been terrified of calling in sick to work. I worked a job where it was a big no-no - even if you were ill, you came in unless you had a doctor's note. And I worked at a restaurant, which was always surprising to me as I know I wouldn't want sick people around my food. When I got my next job, I was constantly surprised at how much more empathetic they were when people got sick. Some people are just much kinder - and I'm sure that's who you'll be working with!

BTW - congrats on the new job!

Mrsh11
16-05-15, 09:23
Thanks, my previous job required written management permission for cough sweets and a doctors note for water. Think I have been used to the worst end of the scale.