PDA

View Full Version : took beta blocker after endoscopy...worried about overdose from sedative

eastofeden
15-05-15, 21:50
Hi I had an endoscopy today at 12pm. They gave me the lidocaine/xylocaine throat spray and 2mg of the sedative midazolam.

I usually take 120mg of propanolol everyday and I hadn't taken any all day.
So I called the pharmacy and asked if I could take 40mg of propanolol because I know you're not supposed to stop beta blockers abruptly. He said there was no interaction between midazolam and propanolol so it was okay. So I took that at about 8:30pm.

However, I forgot to tell him about the xylocaine throat spray. I've looked it up and xylocaine is a powerful heart drug.

So now I'm worried that I'm going to stop breathing and die because of the propanolol and xylocaine interacting together :weep:
I'm honestly shaking so much I had no idea that a little throat spray that numbed my throat was also a powerful drug like lidocaine.

I'm waiting on a call back from NHS 24. Any advice?

Gary A
15-05-15, 22:06
Take the advice of NHS 24, but to be honest, the worst you'll probably get is a bit of nausea and maybe some dizziness.

eastofeden
15-05-15, 22:11
Thanks. I called the pharmacist at Boots and he said if it was only 3-4 sprays then it was probably very minimal amounts of lidocaine. He looked up xylocaine/propanolol interaction on his database and said there was nothing. So I feel a bit better.

Still waiting for the NHS advisor to ring me back though. I'd rather make sure they have proof of it on my record just in case anything should happen. I feel really stupid now. I should have just missed the beta blocker dose. But then, they tell you 'NEVER SKIP A BETA BLOCKER DOSE, IT COULD LEAD TO ALL SORTS OF POTENTIALLY LETHAL EFFECTS'

I feel like I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. I hate taking meds for this reason :/