PDA

View Full Version : How to calm myself down

Sara27
15-05-15, 22:26
when ever i try to calm myself down when i feel myself having a panic attack it just makes it worse i don't know how to deal with it, if its best to let it happen even though i don't know how i'd do that because it feels like i will die if i do. I just pace around like a lunatic i cant stay still
will therapy help with learning how to cope when i'm having one?

Miche31
15-05-15, 22:50
I'm having the same problem Sara. I am having about 4 panic attacks a day, and the ONLY way so far to get thru them is to take a xanax and that is scaring me of rebound panic. I'm playing "guess which med will work for you" game and it's seriously taking a toll on me. I tried Paxil and it is clearly not going to work for me. I will be trying Cymbalta for the second time starting tonight. I took it 3 years ago and it worked for two years than it just stopped working one day when my sister called and told me she had cancer. So I weaned off and have been off for 6 months. Then another sister suddenly passed away in January, and my sister with cancer said it is in her uterus now. I have been diagnosed with esophageal spasms, where it feels like food is getting stuck and am on a panic scare like crazy. I'm afraid to eat, breath, move, etc. I just pace around my house all day, and what little sleep I can get is filled with nightmares. I started counseling last week. I don't know if it will work, but I have to try...if your that bad too, it can't hurt ((hugs)) Michelle

Sara27
15-05-15, 23:32
sorry to hear about your sisters thats terrible, ive never lost anyone but im always thinkin I will do, im in a lot of pain at the minute so not helping with my anxiety I will be seeing my gp soon about therapy once im feeling good enough to go out,
I dont have as many as you it would be once twice a week but ive had 3 now in last two days

Miche31
15-05-15, 23:40
I think my brain is stuck on a glich where it just stays in constant panic mode. I'm trying so hard :(

Sam123
15-05-15, 23:45
have you been offered cbt?

---------- Post added at 23:43 ---------- Previous post was at 23:42 ----------

(I'm not sure how it works in the U.S)

---------- Post added at 23:45 ---------- Previous post was at 23:43 ----------

Sara i sent you some links in message, it's no wonder you are feeling the way you do right now, allow yourself time it's very difficult for you at the moment. Then yes see your GP and see what they can do for you

MyNameIsTerry
16-05-15, 06:25
It feels like that, it feels real, but it can't actually harm you by a panic attack going all the way because the adrenaline only spikes for a few minutes and then it leaves you anxious because the adrenaline needs to be metabolized by your body into other chemicals its needs.

Its scary and its very unpleasant and it leaves you shocked and fearing it happening again.

If you can't try to calm yourself down, can you get some exercise to work it off?

Can you do some breathing techniques?

Can you focus on an object very intensely for several minutes and nothing else? This can help to take your focus away from symptoms.

newme
16-05-15, 16:15
Good morning Terry,
I know I don't post here a lot so folks don't know much about me yet but I do read here. I just wanted to pop in and say Thanks for including the free Mindfulness resources. I came on here this morning after being awoken from nightmares. I was looking for some relief from the after effects of waking up in a panicked state and found your post and clicked on the link you put up for mindfulness and did two of their audio meditations. It brought me back to the present moment and I am feeling some relief at the moment. I just added their site to my favorites. I'll give myself another session or two and see if I can turn my focus to some positive distraction next..Thanks so much for sharing this link with all of us..

MyNameIsTerry
17-05-15, 06:59
Good morning Terry,
I know I don't post here a lot so folks don't know much about me yet but I do read here. I just wanted to pop in and say Thanks for including the free Mindfulness resources. I came on here this morning after being awoken from nightmares. I was looking for some relief from the after effects of waking up in a panicked state and found your post and clicked on the link you put up for mindfulness and did two of their audio meditations. It brought me back to the present moment and I am feeling some relief at the moment. I just added their site to my favorites. I'll give myself another session or two and see if I can turn my focus to some positive distraction next..Thanks so much for sharing this link with all of us..

Thats great to hear, newme!

Mindfulness really helped with my intrusive thoughts, more than CBT did.

There are plenty on that thread, Tara's website has loads. There is also the free 8 week course which could be useful. MBCT is also worth a look and the books about only about £5 if you decide to try a mix of Mindfulness & CBT.

Giraffe11
22-05-15, 18:26
Where can I find these mindfulness links please? X

Davit
22-05-15, 20:43
Right above you, last line of Terry's post.