PDA

View Full Version : Stressing over toilet seats - reassurance please

AmyMJ
17-05-15, 01:50
This is so embarrassing that this fear of illness has taken over to the point where I need to post for reassurance to something I probably already know the answer to but I seriously cannot get these thoughts out of my head. So here goes.

I went out with my friend this evening to a pub, that sadly was a bit of a dive. Just not very clean and I really don't do well in those environments. I braved using the toilet as I was desperate and they were just dreadful - those horrible outdoor toilets you get in dodgy pubs. Anyway, the toilet seat was a bit weird and as I sat down I misjudged and a certain part of me touched the seat. Didn't think anything of it until I came out and my brain suddenly started to think about HIV and STDs, mainly HIV. I know that catching it from a toilet seat is a myth but I'm scared that it's different if your bits actually come into contact with the seat, I literally cannot stop thinking about this and I'm gradually getting into more and more of a state. Desperate for some reassurance please!

HalfJack
17-05-15, 02:19
Oh sweetie big hugs! You're fine.
You know it's a myth, so you already know you've got no reason to worry which is great, even though you feel freaked out. It's important to remember that the cause for your stress is your anxiety not the toilet seat. You might feel better if you address the panic you feel and slowly learn to control that rather than try to reason with panic.

Also... Out door toilets? Seriously?!

AmyMJ
17-05-15, 20:11
Thank you for your reply. You're absolutely right, I need to address the panic rather than reason with it. At the moment though my worries are just taking over again.

Ugh, they were disgusting. Not really outside, but they were in like a separate building at the bottom of the pub garden - the proper ladies were out of order. I've used one before but it was before my health anxiety got really bad so I didn't get this worried. I calmed down a bit today but the anxiety has just crept straight back up again!

I feel so stupid for worrying about this! It's just exhausting and I'm worried now this will happen every single time I use a public toilet.

hannah25
17-05-15, 23:38
Hi AmyMJ,

I went years worrying about toilet seats (I still actually can't sit down on a public toilet seat, I always squat and hover over), I was convinced for a long time that I had somehow contracted HIV from a toilet seat or from touching door handles in public toilets etc., and it tortured me! I'm telling you this because even though I still can't sit down on one, the fear of getting HIV has gone because I finally managed to rationalise how silly the thought was...one of my friends is a doctor and they told me that even if someone had unprotected sex with a person who definitely had HIV, it wouldn't be sure fire that they would contract it. That helped me a lot. I hope this reassures you a bit! I know how maddening the thoughts can be!! xx

AmyMJ
18-05-15, 19:48
Thanks for your reply Hannah. You're totally right, the thoughts are awful and its so hard to put a stop to them. Half the time I can't do anything without them creeping in and taking over. But I will try and remember your friends advice, I think in the long run I will find that helpful.

Thank you both for your advice :)