PDA

View Full Version : Agraphobia and Jobcentre Appiontment

oncehappy
17-05-15, 12:58
Hi..I claim ESA and in the WRAG group.I have Fibromyalgia and agoraphobia and I was put in the WRAG group after my appeal when I failed the ATOS interview.Last year I went for my first interview (so hard for me) but the jobcentre was really helpful and saw me in a private room.I had a letter on Friday with an appointment for a Jobcentre interview on 26th May.I am already in a state about it....if I don't go and my benefit stops I live on my own with no other means of support so I won't be able to eat or pay all my rent...please can anyone advise me on what to do....

23tana
17-05-15, 14:01
Ring them and ask for a home visit. If they cannot do that, contact the Advocacy Service for someone to come with you :

National Advocacy Service for People with Disabilities
www.citizensinformationboard.ie › Services
The National Advocacy Service for People with Disabilities provides an independent, confidential and free, representative advocacy service that works ...

oncehappy
19-05-15, 17:14
YAAAAY!!!!! The lady from the jobcentre has just phoned me out of the blue to do my interview over the phone....BRILIANT....all I could say was thankyou so much over and over again...PHEW!!!!

My Cat Boots
20-05-15, 16:26
im happy for you onecehappy......i'm in a similar situation to you but can manage to go to the job centre for the interviews if my anxiety isn't too bad but i always INSIST on a private room,it is your legal right,and if they say they haven't got one i tell them to reschedule the appointment when they have one.
Many in the job centres are ok but they all lack real knowledge of mental health issues and are under pressure to get people of benefits.
Use your rights and complain if you feel you haven't been treated right and get as much info from your doctors or mental health councillors to show how your illness affects things you can do.

I spent almost half an hour telling one job centre advisor how my anxiety makes it impossible for me to be in a room with other people and it triggers panic panic attacks in me...she nodded all the way through then said she had placed me in a job search group with 15 others..i just flatly refused and told her my doctor and mental health nurse would give me a note showing how my illness affected me..she grudgingly relented but i fear for others who cant speak up for themselves as it only makes their condition much much worse.
Stand up for you rights and your health.
John.

i'd say to anyone tackling the benefits system like i am

oncehappy
21-05-15, 07:32
Hi my cat boots...I think I am really lucky she was so helpful and anxiety being what it is I am of course worried that she may leave but I must admit that is so silly it even makes me smile.She said that I should claim PIP and gave me the number of someone to help with my claim that will make home visits.I really don't see how giving me more money will help and I find the whole process of claiming anything traumatic however I am thinking of giving it a go.Maybe going through the claim without the worry of failing will help me to cope in the future...

My Cat Boots
21-05-15, 16:18
if you are entitled to it and can get help with claiming it then why shouldn't you?
Too many people feel it isn't worth the hassle but i would say claim it and if you feel it is getting to much for you then there are people out there only too willing to help you.

My anxiety stops me from doing a lot of things but i know if i was worrying about money it would be a lot worse.
I don't expect thousands of pounds from the government and in fact I'm grateful for what i do get and never complain and would never complain about anyone else getting help when they really need it.

The government and DWP have got to make it easier for vulnerable people with mental health problems and learning difficulties to claim benefits without them feeling guilty or making them feel like a burden on the country.
It's an old tory trick to do this and isolate people but it has a severe and sometimes disastrous effect on peoples lives.

I wish you well with your health and your claim,and remember you are entitled to it.
John.

MyNameIsTerry
22-05-15, 07:31
It's an old tory trick to do this and isolate people but it has a severe and sometimes disastrous effect on peoples lives.

And a New Labour one with the wonder they gave us in ATOS (gladly they are going now).

My Cat Boots
23-05-15, 16:07
very true.

feelthelove
23-05-15, 18:35
if universal credit comes in and we lose the working tax credits as self employed i will be forced into signing on and that terrifies me i couldn't do an interview .

Gotagetthroughthis
23-05-15, 18:43
if universal credit comes in and we lose the working tax credits as self employed i will be forced into signing on and that terrifies me i couldn't do an interview .

Its not like a job interview. It would just be asking about your circumstances and you pretty much giving yes or no answers. Its not a test its just to see if you are entitled to the benefit.

Davit
24-05-15, 00:15
It has been almost 15 years since I jumped through the hoops to get a disability pension. My check goes directly into my account every month. I've never been bothered since then.
Once a year I get notification that I'm allowed to earn 4000.00 while on pension. This winter I lose it for two different pensions and a Guaranteed income supplement. The two pensions are automatic, the GIS I have to apply for.