PDA

View Full Version : New to forum -> Looking for general reassurance + shoulder / arm discomfort

brainiac
17-05-15, 18:17
Hi folks, first time poster on here. Been a lurker for a little while. So basically, I'm a very hypochondriac type person. I would likely classify it as health anxiety because thoughts fill my mind constantly. I also, at the same time, have the unfortunate connection of being afraid of doctors and hospitals. So I generally don't go and get anything checked unless it's likely real (last time I went was for a suspected kidney infection) Here is a basic idea of the things I have:

- Sinus Problems (real, but waiting on hospital check)
- Tinnitus (again, on ENT waiting list)
- Visual Snow
- Mild headaches (assuming related to sinusitis)
- chest / shoulder / left arm discomfort
- general left side discomfort
- palpitations
- often cold hands / feet / cold in general
- dry eyes / eye fatigue

That's just a general list of my most common complaints. There are a lot more things I notice like teeny tiny blood spots on my arms yesterday, a lot smaller than most people would even see, but they are there. And lot's more I won't bore you with.

Anyway, what I'm looking for I suppose is some general reassurance on the above things, see people who think they have a similar list of issues that generally wouldn't go together.

My main reason for the thread however goes outside the general reassurance. Basically, my main worry atm and in general are heart fears. Lately (about a month or so possibly) I've had a very dis comfortable left arm, left shoulder and possibly chest. Now of course, in my head I chalk this up to heart problems, but I know realistically it probably isn't since it's been there for so long. Having palpitations doesn't help with this fear though. It is worth mentioning that my blood pressure was fine when I last went to the doctor, but I haven't had any major heart examinations as of yet (I'm only 21, so the doctors mostly think I'm fine and it's hypochondria)

Here is basically how it feels: My shoulder area is the most prominent section of it, and everything seems to radiate out from that into my arm, neck and chest. It basically feels like tension that I am always aware of. Around my shoulder, it feels like a dull pain that's just always there regardless of what I am doing. And then it feels like it's partially in my heart too.

Anyone have any experience with a problem like this or have any insight they can offer? It just bugs me in general as I shouldn't have a constantly and consistently sore arm / shoulder / chest.

brainiac
17-05-15, 23:13
I'm also frequently cold, and cold to the touch. Like I might not feel cold sometimes, but my sides or legs to the touch would be cold.

And my left leg tends to be tired / heavy too sometimes along with slight discomfort along my left ribs etc. Just left side in general as mentioned.

Any insight / reassurance would be much appreciated, but particularly for the shoulder pain :)

Emilym80
18-05-15, 09:22
Hi there,

I have pretty much all of the things you listed, too (including visual snow and tinnitus), so you're definitely not alone!

The shoulder/arm/chest discomfort is, for me, musculoskeletal. My joints are hyperlax due to weakness and poor posture (which I'm working on) and so I usually have some joint pain and my shoulders crack in and out of place a fair bit.

Good on you for trying not to see the doctor too much, but would you consider visiting a physio? They'll be able to tell you if it is musculoskeletal and, if so, what exactly its going on and how to improve it.

Best wishes :)

brainiac
18-05-15, 13:12
Hi Emily,

Thanks for the response and that helps somewhat! I should probably get the arm and shoulder checked in some fashion then to see if there is something underlying (even if not serious) that's causing it? Do you get other pains all along your left side too, well, more aches than pains. Usually mild but definitely noticeable.

Any other insights to some of the other things appreciated too from others :).

Trueman
18-05-15, 22:50
Hi,

Sinus, headaches and tinnitus could be affecting balance and posture? Could you be tensing up as a result. In particular have you felt dizzy or out of balance? Hard focussing on things. I've been told I get migraine induced vertigo. Which causes that..

brainiac
18-05-15, 23:44
Hi,

Sinus, headaches and tinnitus could be affecting balance and posture? Could you be tensing up as a result. In particular have you felt dizzy or out of balance? Hard focussing on things. I've been told I get migraine induced vertigo. Which causes that..

Hi,

I get very minor dizziness frequently. Never feel like I'm going to fall over or anything, but yeah frequently I would feel a bit lightheaded and misplaced. Focusing on things, in a sense yeah. If i'm looking at a screen or whatever my eyes have no issue staying in focus, but sometimes randomly outside I would lose focus often.

Trueman
19-05-15, 07:06
Hi,

I get very minor dizziness frequently. Never feel like I'm going to fall over or anything, but yeah frequently I would feel a bit lightheaded and misplaced. Focusing on things, in a sense yeah. If i'm looking at a screen or whatever my eyes have no issue staying in focus, but sometimes randomly outside I would lose focus often.

Are the headaches coming with sinus pain or nausea or disorientation? As well as the visual snow? It sounds like migraines and they would certainly cause tingling or arm shoulder pain with discomfort re tension or posture changes with even a little minor balance issues or disorientation. Anyway worth chatting to GP about. I was on amytriptlyine for a while and helps with nerve issues and migraines. Can be quite debilitating migraines. Worth checking into and not thinking the worst.:yesyes:

---------- Post added at 07:06 ---------- Previous post was at 07:04 ----------

Also common I believe is low Vit d and migraines. And btw I also get very cold feet and hands I have to stick them in baths of hot water or walk around with hot water bottle even though I'm warm generally!

brainiac
19-05-15, 11:18
Are the headaches coming with sinus pain or nausea or disorientation? As well as the visual snow? It sounds like migraines and they would certainly cause tingling or arm shoulder pain with discomfort re tension or posture changes with even a little minor balance issues or disorientation. Anyway worth chatting to GP about. I was on amytriptlyine for a while and helps with nerve issues and migraines. Can be quite debilitating migraines. Worth checking into and not thinking the worst.:yesyes:

---------- Post added at 07:06 ---------- Previous post was at 07:04 ----------

Also common I believe is low Vit d and migraines. And btw I also get very cold feet and hands I have to stick them in baths of hot water or walk around with hot water bottle even though I'm warm generally!

hi again,

I think they're part of the sinuses, since they are very minor (but frequent) pressure headaches. More of a dull ache in the centre of my head coupled with massive pressure in the ears (feel like the are blocked almost always along with the tinnitus) and some in the nose.

Certainly wouldn't call them Migraines anyway as I never have major head pain. So any other ideas?

Another random little thing I've noticed on my arms and elsewhere. I have a good few (few and far apart though) tiny tiny almost invisible little red pin pricks on my skin. They do seem to fade a little with pressure and I'm not sure if they are on the surface or underneath the skin. I don't think they are petechea, or whatever they are called. But I don't really know, any pictures I've seen are extreme whereas these are really small and most normal people probably wouldn't notice them. Anyone have experience with this along with the arm discomfort (they are in some other places I've noticed but not as many).

Trueman
19-05-15, 11:26
hi again,

I think they're part of the sinuses, since they are very minor (but frequent) pressure headaches. More of a dull ache in the centre of my head coupled with massive pressure in the ears (feel like the are blocked almost always along with the tinnitus) and some in the nose.

Certainly wouldn't call them Migraines anyway as I never have major head pain. So any other ideas?

I didn't call mine migraines until a neurologist diagnosed them!
I didn't get visual disturbances eg snow.

If you have sinus issues and ear issues it will be highly likely you have been over compensating with your posture even if you don't realise it. Again aches and tingling one sided can be related. If you are going to google - just have a look at migraines as you might be surprised! And sinus/ear..

Although ultimately I would chat to GP and get his opinion on this.

PS I have had terrible sinus issues too..

brainiac
19-05-15, 12:12
I didn't call mine migraines until a neurologist diagnosed them!
I didn't get visual disturbances eg snow.

If you have sinus issues and ear issues it will be highly likely you have been over compensating with your posture even if you don't realise it. Again aches and tingling one sided can be related. If you are going to google - just have a look at migraines as you might be surprised! And sinus/ear..

Although ultimately I would chat to GP and get his opinion on this.

PS I have had terrible sinus issues too..

Hi again,

Thanks for the responses. Really helps. I am in a waiting list for an ENT appointment for ears and Sinuses so I will discuss all this when the time comes around.

The Sinuses have been there for years though and the arm pain is a lot more recent. Did you happen to see my edit above and know anything about it?

Trueman
19-05-15, 12:43
The rash? Could be viral? Feeling run down? Do you have a rash across your cheeks? I come out in weird little rashes sometimes... Actually think I've an allergy to our cat as recently been prescribed inhaler for wheezing a little, runny nose and itchy eyes..

brainiac
19-05-15, 12:48
It's not a rash, its tiny little blood spot type things, but really small and they're few and far apart on my arms.

Trueman
19-05-15, 12:53
It's not a rash, its tiny little blood spot type things, but really small and they're few and far apart on my arms.

Have the GP seen these? Worth letting him/her look. Just to get them checked out if not. I'm sure it something of nothing.that way you can nip that worry in the bud so to speak.

brainiac
19-05-15, 13:02
Have the GP seen these? Worth letting him/her look. Just to get them checked out if not. I'm sure it something of nothing.that way you can nip that worry in the bud so to speak.

Only noticed it tbh, doesn't seem like much and it's probably me just being crazy, like they're small a normal person really wouldn't see them. And i'm trying to avoid going to the doctor atm.

Trueman
19-05-15, 13:11
Only noticed it tbh, doesn't seem like much and it's probably me just being crazy, like they're small a normal person really wouldn't see them. And i'm trying to avoid going to the doctor atm.

I try to avoid the GP too. But if it is making you worry just go. With rashes/unknown spots I would to be on the safe side. No point trying to self diagnose. Just takes you into a world that you don't want to be in.

I think a lot sounds like sinus/ear issues that can be debilitating believe me. Hopefully your ENT appt is soon. The shoulder thing might be worth checking out with a physio. They can refer you if they don't think it is muscles etc..

Let us know how you get on.

brainiac
20-05-15, 13:38
Thanks for the help man, I think I'll try and hold out until I see an ENT and tell him all this then. If nothing's coming to a head I doubt anything's fatal anyway!

I might get the skin looked at, but I've been looking around and a lot of people say they're harmless.

Today I am feeling a little off though, wondering if you know if it's to do with sinuses. Have a kind of tickle in my throat that makes me want to cough and feel a little bit lightheaded with it. Ears are as blocked as usual and still have somewhat of the chest / muscle pain in shoulder / left arm. Thoughts?

Trueman
20-05-15, 20:06
Don't understimate muscular pain from ear nose throat issues! Ha ha.. Believe me going through it myself! Sinus ear issues will affect the throat. In turn making you react by perhaps coughing or clearing throat and then maybe different postures or muscles used... You will feel light headed or disorientated with any kind of ear or sinus issue.

---------- Post added at 20:06 ---------- Previous post was at 20:04 ----------

Have you considered allergies?!