PDA

View Full Version : Intermittent tingling....fear of stroke

hannah25
17-05-15, 22:09
Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone has experienced a similar symptom to me as I am really struggling having no real answers from doctors and am plagued now by fear because of this.

I'm a 26 year old girl and about a year ago the bottom of my left leg and a little bit of my left arm began tingling, this lasted for about 3 weeks and then went away. Since then it has been tingling intermittently every couple of months for a few weeks at a time constantly.

I have had an MRI on my brain which came back normal, and the doctors say it may be migraine related, as I had a hemiplegic migraine when I was 15 (where half your body goes numb as part of a migraine attack). Even this mention has worried me because I know that migraine can increase your risk of stroke and it worries me that i'm having such constant tingling.

I now have a fear that I'm going to have a stroke/the tingling will get worse. I am wondering if it might be possible to have tingling in one leg or arm constantly as a symptom of anxiety? I just wish I could have more answers and stop worrying.

The doctors have mentioned MS but because my MRI was clear it makes it unlikely.

I'd be so grateful for any help at all on this.

Thanks in advance.

hannah25
19-05-15, 17:47
Does anyone have any advice? I can hardly sleep from worry.

Trueman
19-05-15, 18:38
Migraines can cause tingling. Anxiety can cause tingling. Combine the two and you are most likely to get tingling.

How long ago was your brain scan? Recent? I believe stroke is usually a combination of events such as high blood pressure, high cholesterol, other factors like diabetes can contribute over time.

If you have had a recent check on basic functions re bloods and vitals and the brain scan I would consider anxiety and migraine as the real culprit. I was diagnosed with migraine induced vertigo. It cause disorientation, balance problems, and tingling, some vision issues, nausea and I often think my peripheral nerve hyper excitability is all linked in.

Have you had your Vit D checked? Often another culprit..

Try to relax if you can. :)

hannah25
19-05-15, 18:48
Thanks so much for your reply. Can you have constant symptoms for weeks with migraine? I have no head pain but I do have dizziness, nausea on and off and the tingling constantly for about 3 weeks at a time, is this possible with migraine?

The brain scan was nearly a year ago, but my symptoms haven't got worse, just stayed the same. I have had a trillion blood tests and also tests on my heart.

Trueman
19-05-15, 19:03
Migraines are well known for lasting days and days. Longer if the the trigger of the migraine is not addressed or known and causing repetitive migraines.

Perhaps you need to work on what may trigger them and see if this makes a difference? Food diaries, cut out certain foods - coffee or chocolate etc, smells, sprays, toothpastes, cleaning teeth can trigger me sometimes.

Also there could be a sinus link? Ear problem link? Just simple reasons why migraines can occur and be related to..

Yes, migraines typically cause those symptoms. Very debilitating.

I'd rule out stroke if you have had normal results. But again keep your GP informed if you are concerned.

hannah25
19-05-15, 19:11
Thanks so much for your help, I feel a lot more relaxed :)

Trueman
19-05-15, 19:11
And most of all try to relax. Take control :hugs: