PDA

View Full Version : Endoscopy

VickyC
18-05-15, 11:44
I've got an endoscopy next week. Ongoing stomach issues and doctors don't seem to know what's wrong with me.
Has anyone had one? I'm a bit nervous about the procedure, and even more nervous about what they might find...
Thanks

countrygirl
18-05-15, 14:47
I always ask for max sedation which means that I know nothing about the proceedure, usually come to to someone gently shaking me and asking me questions.
If you are brave like my friend she has it done with nothing at all but most people find it not nice when they are putting the camera down. They do spray your throat with some banana flavoured local aneathetic but that does not stop the gag reflex.
Its usually over and done with very quickly and they usually tell the the results before you leave the hospital.

VickyC
18-05-15, 15:17
Thanks countrygirl. I think I will ask for sedation to make it as 'pleasant' as possible. When you say you 'always' ask for max sedetion does that mean you've had more than one endoscopy?

Trueman
18-05-15, 19:00
Sedation. Had two done. Hardly notice it after that. If you are slightly alert it just seems like two seconds!!

countrygirl
18-05-15, 22:13
I have had 3 scopes in past 14 years the last one 5 years ago because I have hiatus hernia and I at some point start worrying about barratts oesophagus!
The last time I was told that the sedation is between 2 - 5 so I askd for the 5 and it was the best, I felt totally calm and relaxed afterwards as well:)