PDA

View Full Version : help please really scared

ella32
18-05-15, 15:09
Please can someone reassure me . I'm having a really bad day with chest pain and fear. I went to doctors earlier and she listened to my chest and took blood pressure and she said everything seemed fine she would have done ecg only the machine is broke so couldn't do it. My biggest fear is heart related and I'm terrified I'm going to have one. I've had tests on heart in 2013 and they came back fine. Had slight pain in right arm aswell and apparently Google says that heart attack symptoms. I keep telling myself that the doctor wouldn't have sent me home if she thought for a second I was in danger. I'm just so scared at the mo and don't know what to do.xx

swgrl09
18-05-15, 15:20
You said it yourself, if they thought it was serious they would have sent you somewhere to get checked more thoroughly asap!

ella32
18-05-15, 15:27
Thanks for replying. I'm just so tired of doubting the doctor and of constantly being afraid. I just want to feel normal and not be afraid of my own heart.x

---------- Post added at 15:27 ---------- Previous post was at 15:24 ----------

I was diagnosed by a psychiatrist as having a somatic disorder with obsessive thoughts surrounding my heart. Sometimes it's hard to understand how the pain isnt heart related or sign of heart attack coming.x

Gary A
18-05-15, 17:07
First things first, get off of google and stay away. Your heart is fine, medical examinations and a fully qualified doctor both say so, trust me, both of those opinions mean more than the opinions of a search engine.

That you've been diagnosed with a somatic disorder which categorically States you're obsessed with your heart, perhaps its time to pay attention to that diagnosis and not one that you're basically making up in your own head.

ella32
18-05-15, 17:26
Thanks Gary. Working with a therapist to try and change the thoughts of heart attack or heart problems. Slowly working through it. X

Trueman
18-05-15, 18:53
^^^

That's great advice Paul.

I mowed the lawn yesterday. Felt dreadful all day after thought I was dying. Muscles in upper back killing me today and think I am dying. Just the little things can keel you over and it's sooooo frustrating because you think why can't I just do these things without it turning your day into a nightmare?

Guessing you need to just tell those thoughts to sod off.. Somehow.

Trueman
18-05-15, 19:53
I just find it difficult to control the obsessive nature of these anxieties. It's like just a little check of heart rate will reassure and I will be fine, but two seconds later it's check again. Today the tension is so bad that I swear my blood pressure is sky high and I will keel over because of that. I won't take tablets to relax me in case I lose control. Can't bloomin win!

Each day, I tell myself will be better. But then within hours of getting up bang I spiral and the day is ruined.

I try the exercise but then that can trigger it too. At least I can kind of laugh at myself a little. Because if I didn't it would just be a cry - which it often is.

I've got out of this hole before so maybe like you Paul - I need to try happier thoughts but the anxiety just sits on your shoulder waiting to take hold of you!

I went to pick up the kids and a mum asked me how I was - and I wanted to scream I'm not okay and I going to die and I'm just a wreck. But I just said I was fine. And hated every minute standing waiting to pick up the kids...

ella32
18-05-15, 21:49
Thanks for the replies. I'm working on concurring this fear its not an easy one I must say. Been under a lot of stress so that not helping any bit. If I could break the cycle of fear surrounding the chest pains I'd be fine but it is a constant battle and a constant need for reassurance. It takes every bit of willpower not to ring ambulance sometimes.xx

Trueman
18-05-15, 22:20
I've been like that today. Got to get to a hospital but better not get to a hospital and just try and rationalise all the symptoms and fear.

It's hard hard work. I'm exhausted afterwards! There must be a better way of using our thought processes! It's hard to rewire you brain to let the rational and positive thoughts flow.. But it can be done.