PDA

View Full Version : Been Prescribed Mirtazapine -worried

Munchlet
18-05-15, 20:56
Hi

I'm currently taking escitalopram which is about the 5th SSRI I've tried. I've also tried TCA's which give me horrible side effects. As the SSRI's don't seem to be doing much for my mood and they have all but depleted by sex drive I've been prescribed Mirtazapine.

I'm really worried about starting it though because I've read an awful lot of horror stories about weight gain. To be honest I can't afford to put on a 1lb, I'm already overweight and put on about 7lbs since starting escitalopram which despite going to the gym 4 times a week and doing lots of cardio and weights will not shift.

I've heard it's good for depression and anxiety but I just can't face putting on weight. I think half my problem is due to my weight and if I could lose some I think I'd actually feel better so I feel like I'm caught in a vicious circle as if I starting taking Mirt I feel like I'm just going to get heavier.

Has anyone managed to take this drug and not had an increase in appetite/weight gain?

thanks

aprilmoon
18-05-15, 21:15
Hi
I was on Mirt for about a year,and although I didn't find it very good for anxiety, it definitely helped get me out of depression.
I also actually managed to lose weight on it,but it wasn't easy,and I was very careful about what I ate,but I found that to be a good trade off for feeling so much better.
It did make me feel hungry though.

hanshan
19-05-15, 06:59
I managed to lose around 10 kilograms (20+ lb) between 2012 - 2014 and keep it off since while taking mirtazapine, so it is possible.

I didn't do any specific exercise, but I sold my car in 2011, which meant a moderate amount of walking to shops, transportation, etc. When I was losing weight I was counting calories every day and it took a bit of willpower, but since then I've been a stable weight without feeling I'm starving myself.

Munchlet
19-05-15, 15:06
Thank you both of you for the replies, they have certainly made me feel more positive. Everything I'd read up until now made it sound like weight gain was inevitable and in some cases people were saying they'd gained stones in a matter of weeks which was very scary!

I've picked up my prescription today so I will give them a go, I'm sure I'll be able to gauge fairly quickly if my weight is increasing. I'm exercising a lot anyway and I do want to lose weight just with my mood feeling so low I'm finding it really hard to get any willpower!

Hopefully if the mirt improves my mood I will be in a position to start a weight loss programme as well as doing the exercise.

thanks for the replies

SmilingAlbert
19-05-15, 21:57
Hey munch,

weight gain is by no means inevitable with mirt

but you do need to be disciplined: count those calories, avoid fatty foods, and keep plenty of fruit and other healthy stuff handy to answer the hunger pans, and keep up a good exercise regime, which is a good idea in any recovery from mental health issues

good luck!

albert

Munchlet
20-05-15, 20:54
Thank you Albert, I'm going to start it tomorrow, so will update on how it goes. :D

lisa0406
21-05-15, 09:36
I am taking Mirta for a few months now and I have to say that my priority lies within my health getting better not so much the gaining weight part! But I understand if you are worried about it.
I am and have always been rather skinny and I only gained 5 kg but that is bc a) that's what psychopharmacologic drugs do!! b) I really ate a lot the past few months so I would have gained that weight anyway.

lindamine
22-05-15, 21:53
Hi there....i have been on mirt for a couple of years now. I did not find it to increase my weight however I am now exercising 6-7 days a week of an hour cardio and can't loose a pound! It's been a month since I joined the gym and I was so hoping for greater results. I am 51 years old so that may be a factor as I am older now and can't loose as easily. I have lost several inches on my waist but as far as weight-just a couple of pounds lost.

For me the mirtaz. helped tremendously. I have panic with depression and bipolar. It is one of my many meds I take daily. I would not go a day without it because I worry that I would feel worse than I already am. I used to be much more depressed and couldn't even work, but now at least I am back to work full time which is huge progress for me. Still have depression and panic but is managable at this point.
I hope you find relief from this med.
You can control the weight as long as you don't give in to the ravenous hunger twangs meds can send you into. Just have lots of fruits and veggies around to pop in your mouth when this happens.
Good luck!

Munchlet
25-05-15, 15:21
Thank you for the replies, I'm speaking to my GP tomorrow, still really anxious about starting it, I know the only way to find out is to give it a try and my mood is so low I'm thinking really what have I got to lose as it might actually help pull me out of this depression and enable me to get things back on track.

I just wanted to speak to the GP to have a back up plan in place so if it does start causing my weight to increase there is something else I can switch too.

Thanks for your support and replies x

hanshan
26-05-15, 06:47
Hi Munchlet,

If your mood is low it's certainly worth a try. Mirtazapine tends to work more quickly than other ADs (often around the one to two week mark), but you should still give it the full four to eight weeks, as some people are slower to respond.

Lindamine - if you are doing a lot of gym work without much weight change but several inches off your waist (which is a lot), then you are probably building up muscle mass as you lose fat. This is a great thing - the muscle mass is so important in staying active into your sixties and beyond.