PDA

View Full Version : What sets off your anxiety?

Hearts
18-05-15, 22:40
I'm trying to figure out what triggers my anxiety. It is constantly with me but can be mild and then all of a sudden it gets bad and I can start having panic attacks. I'm keeping a diary and think hormones may be one of the causes. I know stress doesn't help either but I'm not usually too stressed beforehand but my stress then increases once the anxiety kicks in......a vicious circle!! What is your trigger? Do any females here think that hormones make them worse? x

MyNameIsTerry
19-05-15, 06:39
I have noticed some of the ladies on here saying it does cause them increased anxiety. On one long running thread it has come up at least 3 times were the OP had this problem.

If it does cause an increase, is there anything you can take to ease the hormone shift hence bringing down your anxiety?

Libra
19-05-15, 13:28
Hormones certainly do play a big role in triggering anxiety, both pre and post menopausal...With me its dizziness ,lightheads that trigger anxiety..

GingerFish
19-05-15, 13:44
Sometimes my anxiety/panics get worse when I am due a period but the number 1 main thing that triggers my attacks is nausea. I have such a strong fear of puking and nausea that it developed into panic disorder and agoraphobia. If I didn't have this fear then I doubt I would have anxiety at all tbh.

Leah1971
21-05-15, 22:07
Yes I def find the week before my period and a couple of days into it my anxiety is worse. I feel sick, anxious, lightheaded and headaches. Stupid hormones!!

Davit
21-05-15, 23:24
I'm not female besides if I was I'd be too old. So I'll address the other question. We have what is called semantic memory but is better known as associated memory. It is the memory we use when we don't have answers. (guessing comes from here) BUT it also is where we store every thing we know, even the scary bits. Episodic memory is where we get our quick answers from for all our routine thoughts and actions.
What happens with low grade anxiety in all of us because we don't want it is we block it. Toughing it out and if we are busy it sometimes works because we move on to something else. With an anxiety disorder it usually just follows. So Episodic memory goes to associated memory for an answer, It has one preference or control and that is the closest to appropriate because it works only with appropriate. It finds panic and since it has happened before it is considered appropriate. So that is what it offers and bango you react where up till now you have not, so panic must have been the answer. If you find low grade anxiety, stop long enough to look at why it is there. Episodic memory will then give you logical reasons that you can accept or discard but it will stay out of associated memory except t give you logical answers. Triggers are just triggers, it is how you treat them that causes the panic.

ricardo
22-05-15, 13:19
Having to wait for anything, like being in a waiting room or in a traffic jam or even traffic lights.

feelthelove
22-05-15, 16:06
anything even a scratch causes me to panic . Menopause was horrible and heightened anxiety .