PDA

View Full Version : Is this considered discrimination against someone with anxiety?

Blondiexxoo
18-05-15, 23:09
I went to see a new doctor today (I've been to several already with no luck) because my old PCP switched to holistic medicine. I saw this doctor on a thyroid website. She was on a list that she runs the appropriate thyroid tests and gives natural treatment. I have a thyroid condition so I thought it would be a good fit.

I have severe anxiety/OCD. They wouldn't let me do the blood pressure with a jacket or long sleeve shirt on saying it has to directly touch the skin. I have never encountered this and I've been to several doctors offices. They always let me use a jacket or long sleeve for blood pressure. When I said I couldn't do that, the nurse got the supervisor and had her come talk to me. The doctor kept refusing to see me unless I got the blood pressure done. I left because I didn't have a long sleeve (which they acted like they wouldn't allow anyway) and they wouldn't let me use the jacket. I told them about my anxiety/OCD. They didn't care. I asked the supervisor what they do during winter when everyone comes in wearing long sleeves. She said she's not back there but probably has them pull back their sleeve. That's UNHEARD OF. I've never heard of people having to take their shirt off at the doctor's office for blood pressure. I called back when I got home and set up another appointment saying I would wear long sleeve. They called back saying that doctor does not want to see me and cancelled my appointment. They said it isn't a good fit and she doesn't deal with thyroid conditions which I know is a lie because she was on the thyroid website. They told me to find another doctor. I have already been to numerous doctors and am not having any luck. I'm guessing they probably won't even allow me to see another doctor in that office. The office was close to where I live, nice, clean, etc. But it looks like the doctor didn't want me as a patient seeing that I couldn't get blood pressure done directly on the arm when I'm 21 so she wanted nothing to do with me.

Is this considered discrimination against someone with anxiety? Can I do anything about it?

Sam123
18-05-15, 23:19
Hi,

I'm in the U.K and here we do roll back our sleeves to get blood pressure taken as standard, but i'm not sure maybe they would do it with the sleeve down i really couldn't say. You may find an answer to it online am sure others would have asked the same, or hopefully somebody here from the U.S can help you :)

Fishmanpa
19-05-15, 00:39
It's not as accurate through clothing... close enough but.... If that's their method and policy then that's their method. You left, they didn't tell you to leave. You had a choice and refused.

Positive thoughts

Blondiexxoo
19-05-15, 01:16
It's not as accurate through clothing... close enough but.... If that's their method and policy then that's their method. You left, they didn't tell you to leave. You had a choice and refused.

Positive thoughts

I did not refuse. I have anxiety and OCD. I can't handle the cuff touching my arm that has touched everyone else's arm. That's not refusing. That's unable to get it done. And this is a somewhat harsh response coming from someone on an anxiety forum which surprises me. I'm guessing you have anxiety too and just because it's not just like mine, that doesn't mean you shouldn't still be compassionate and understanding. And yes they did tell me to leave. They said the doctor wouldn't see me without it and that I should try finding another doctor and to call and let the doctor know over the phone before I come in that I have to do the blood pressure over clothing. Just because they didn't directly say leave, that doesn't mean anything. I was still REFUSED proper care.

I've always done it through clothing ever since I've been younger and it's always been very accurate. It may be their policy but I would think it's still discrimination against someone with anxiety/OCD. I've been to so many doctor's offices over the years and not one has ever had a problem with me doing the blood pressure over a long sleeve shirt or a jacket.

.Poppy.
19-05-15, 02:19
Hm. Do you have a regular doctor? Who do you see for anxiety/OCD?

You may try having your regular doc send over a note detailing why you have to wear long sleeves. This could help them understand there's a real reason for it, but it could also help in the very, very off chance that they needed your exact blood pressure for their records and they had to perform it a different way due to a doctor's note....if that makes sense. It's been a long day :) Basically, if something happened and they needed documentation, they'd have it.

You could also try speaking with the doctor herself (she may not even know about this, or be getting a skewed story), or the owner of the clinic if there is one that you can contact.

Otherwise...I'm not sure. It's certainly not fair, but if that's their policy I don't know if it could be discrimination as the same policy applies for everyone, but I'm no lawyer. If nothing else, you can exercise your power of a bad review!

Fishmanpa
19-05-15, 03:37
I did not refuse. I have anxiety and OCD. I can't handle the cuff touching my arm that has touched everyone else's arm. That's not refusing.

Ummm... it is. Sorry you had a bad experience. Maybe next time you'll find a scenario that suits your situation.

Positive thoughts

MyNameIsTerry
19-05-15, 07:13
Ummm... it is. Sorry you had a bad experience. Maybe next time you'll find a scenario that suits your situation.

Positive thoughts

I think if she said "no, I'm not having/doing that" it would be a refusal. To say "I can't do it because of my anxiety can we do it X way" isn't a clear refusal since the OP asked for an alternative. They dug their heals in. So, you could also argue they refused to treat the OP.

Another example would be a severe agoraphobic asking for a phonecall with a GP for the receptionist to refuse and state they can only speak face -to-face at the surgery. The agoraphobic can't do that. Technically a refusal in terms of the English language but hardly the same as saying no when you ask for an alternative based on a medical condition.

---------- Post added at 07:13 ---------- Previous post was at 06:42 ----------

As said above, in the UK I've always known it to be the standard practice to roll up a sleeve. Some doctors even advise you should take your top off because rolling up sleeves can affect blood pressure but thats only going to be if you create enough pressure so the person taking it can easily determine that just by looking at your upper arm.

It can be done with a layer and there are studies that show it to be statistically insignificant (the caveat being those who are hypertensive where it may be more appropriate to use a bare arm) but its still not the norm as far as I know over here.

Regardless, a doctor may decide it is appropriate with a layer but I would guess it would have to be very thin. I would hope its a matter of the doctor not knowing your OCD issues and the nurses making an ignorant call.

As for discrimination, can you check against the laws which govern your country? (and any local state differences if that can be the case?). It will be different in the UK so a lot of people on here wouldn't be able to say but we have an openly discriminatory NHS who don't treat mental health on the same level as physicla health so for us its always a no win as its always been this way, a systemic problem.