PDA

View Full Version : Can anxiety cause a pain near the ribs?

reddevil
26-01-07, 08:25
Hello all,

I have been doing well of late (proud of myself, which I have not been in years).
I have had this symptom before, which the doctor was not concerned but it was about 6 months ago.

Since last Monday, a pain has appeared, where my left rib is, which does not stop me doing my everyday things but I know it's there.

The other night I forgot about it (which is my aim for the year, to try and ignore symptoms) but when I went to pick up my son, I then felt it.
It does not hurt when I breath in / out but obviously with anxiety it's just starting to cause me a little concern.

I must admit, since I have had this pain, I have been concentrating on it, which I know from experience, anxiety can make things worst.

I noticed a few threads on this forum about people having a pain near their ribs and I was wondering if there is a link to anxiety from this pain near the ribs.

Red

belle
26-01-07, 08:33
I have a rib problem where it feels more "tender" if i press between my ribs.

Sarah

jo61
26-01-07, 08:41
I get this quite a lot and with me it's trapped wind as my anxiety causes me to gulp in air rather than breathing properly.

Jo

pinkpenny1uk
26-01-07, 09:09
hiya,
i get this alot but my pain tends to be more on the right side. i can go days without any discomfort then its there again for a week or so.
at first i thought it was down to my anxiety and acid reflux, and at one point when it was bad i was convinced it was breast cancer!!!!
but thinking back my actual rib pain started a good year before my anxiety did. it started just after the birth of my son (which was traumatic).

i have been informed that it could be chostrochondritis (spelling).

maybe you should give it a few days, just to see if it settles.
all the best to u

penny x

Ma Larkin
26-01-07, 13:03
I had this pain for months. It was just under my left breast and affected my side as well - felt like it was deep inside me. I went to A&E with it cos it really scared me and was told it was muscular skeletal due to anxiety. I was given Kapake painkillers. It does rear its ugly head every now and then so now I just take paracetamol or co-codamol. It doesn't scare me any more but I must admit the painkillers don't do much good, just makes me feel better knowing I've taken somthing I suppose. I think when it is anxiety related its hard to treat.

Les

reddevil
29-01-07, 08:10
<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">I had this pain for months. It was just under my left breast and affected my side as well - felt like it was deep inside me. I went to A&E with it cos it really scared me and was told it was muscular skeletal due to anxiety. I was given Kapake painkillers. It does rear its ugly head every now and then so now I just take paracetamol or co-codamol. It doesn't scare me any more but I must admit the painkillers don't do much good, just makes me feel better knowing I've taken somthing I suppose. I think when it is anxiety related its hard to treat.

Les

<div align="right">Originally posted by Ma Larkin - 26 January 2007 : 13:03:41</div id="right">
</td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">

Well, it's been 7 days today and I'm starting to think it could be anxiety but saying that, on Sunday when I got out of bed it hurt, which got my alarm bells ringing again.

I'm not sure what I'm thinking but I guess I'm worried I have a growth there, my wife finds it funny when I say it but that is what's bugging me.

Red

Danikenmir
15-03-12, 01:13
Hey Red, I have had severe rib pain the last 2 weeks, and I do gets very stressed over nothing but I had a stomach ulcer and assumed it was what was upsetting my ribs, well it wasn't! it was 100% my stress, my ribs hurt to the touch or if I bent the wrong way but did not affect my breathing or anything else, you I just want to say as hard as it is to do, try and ignore it and it will subside

sparkle_1979
15-03-12, 10:52
I've been suffering with this for a couple of mths. I keeping thinking i must have banged it x

Beyonderz
15-03-12, 12:27
Hey Red, I got a bit rib problem myself a month ago. Tender right rib and a type of pain that I also felt in my back so I worried myself quite a lot thinking that it was liver related or lungs.

It was just excessive gas and stress :) Now I feel fine.

You say you are having this for a long time. That means it can't be something very serious and if it was serious it would be a persistent pain which would make you wake up from your sleep. Anxiety makes it worse, since stomach pain and acid/gas occurs during anxiety.

Try to focus on other thing, you will see that it will go away.
Hope you feel well soon

mamaof4
04-04-12, 21:07
I too have rib pain. Mine goes all the way around my body though. What I mean by this is if you start at the L side alongside my breast it is tender across the top of my chest (under collarbone), around the R side. It also effects my should blades. Even laying on my side at night to sleep hurts. I have read online that anxiety can cause rib pain due to being tense. Of course.... there was a boat load of bad stuff too relating to the rib pain.
I hate getting these panic attacks over health issues. The panic attacks are the worst! I have had two recently (haven't had any others since I was a teenager 20+ yrs ago). The feeling of doom and/or dread in the pit of my stomach is awful and almost impossible to ignore. I pace, breath heavy, feel like I am going to pass out, etc. Nothing I would ever wish on anyone. :(

alwaysworriedsick
04-04-12, 22:22
Hi all, i have just joined as i was looking for some advice of rib pain, and there like someone was answering my prays was this topic. I too have been suffering from left rib pain for about 2 weeks, it sometimes causes me pain when i wear a bra, but doesnt stop me from doing normal everyday things. My dad has recently been diagnosed with lung cancer which is incurable and my anxiety has gone through the roof. I have convinced myself that i have something terrible, but wont go to the doctors just incase. My ribs are sore to press, and when i apply pressure of the side i can feel something inside moving - popping- clicking. Not sure what it is, i have been lifting really heavy things recently so not sure if its related. It would be great if someone could enlighten me and put my mind at rest. x

lkk2507
13-04-12, 15:08
I have the same, started a few weeks ago... glad to find this thread. I recently had a baby and he is growing obviously I wonder if its from lifting him.

alwaysworriedsick.. if you have been lifting heavy things I am sure that is it! I would imagine.

skygreen_leopard
13-04-12, 19:08
Yes!, i believe the term hypochondria is related to the region of ribs called the hypochondrium. I imagine this is because a large portion of people with health worries believe pain there is related to the heart. :)

miss sparkle
13-04-12, 20:31
My most recent,but totally genuine,pain in around my right rib, which goes to my lower back.
obviously panicing its liver related!
had it for about 2 weeks now, not excruciating but constant.
anyone else right rib?

sharon10756
14-06-12, 21:39
Hello all,

I have been doing well of late (proud of myself, which I have not been in years).
I have had this symptom before, which the doctor was not concerned but it was about 6 months ago.

Since last Monday, a pain has appeared, where my left rib is, which does not stop me doing my everyday things but I know it's there.

The other night I forgot about it (which is my aim for the year, to try and ignore symptoms) but when I went to pick up my son, I then felt it.
It does not hurt when I breath in / out but obviously with anxiety it's just starting to cause me a little concern.

I must admit, since I have had this pain, I have been concentrating on it, which I know from experience, anxiety can make things worst.

I noticed a few threads on this forum about people having a pain near their ribs and I was wondering if there is a link to anxiety from this pain near the ribs.

Red

Hi

---------- Post added at 21:39 ---------- Previous post was at 21:28 ----------

Hi, I'm new here and I have searched the net trying to find someone, anyone with rib pain the same as mine.. It started when i moved desks at work and had to stretch to use the PC, it felt like a stitch in my right side.. as if i'd been running, it would ease off when i went home and come back within a few hours of being back at work.
The stitch went away, but i developed a nagging ache inbetween my ribs on my right side at the back.. it became a constant ache and then little stabbing pains in and around the same area.. now 6 weeks down the line i have these little stabbing pains underneath a few of my ribs but only on the right side.
My GP has given me sick leave, but the pains haven't gone.
I have been really stressed over an unrelated health problem, which thankfully is now on the mend and i was wondering if stress could be the cause of the pain i'm in now?
I have no other symptoms, not tired, sick, or ill in any other way, I've had bloods done to check my liver, all fine and I am awaiting a Gallbladder scan, I know it's not Gallbladder as nothing I eat makes it worse... It is now driving me crazy and I wonder if it will ever go away.
Anyone out there who can help x

ewood79
15-06-12, 03:01
In hearing all of you at the moment with this..... Sore ribs, sore pec muscles! The works!

Tension and anxiety are best friends!

Sandra86
10-07-16, 11:42
Anxiety and Stress can be developed within years. I have noticed it within 5 years. First, it started with breathing problems (not having a clue why) which I thought was a heart problem (age of 25 and perfectly healthy!)..no comments.
Then, it gradually developed into depression and panick attacks, due to stress about work, future, past, present..every moment was stressful. Still having no clue what caused it, I finally decided to do complete health checks (blood, x-ray, ultrasound). I was and am perfectly healthy.
After doing a lot of research (reading psychology books, nutrito books, health related articles), I have finally managed to control my panick attacks and stress disorders. However, it can be on an off. At least I know the source of my disorders and how to deal with them.
Advice: If you suffer from stress disorders, do not by any chance try to examine your body (your ribcage in our case) to see how painful it is when you press it. I have done it and it made my stress even worse thinking I have tumor or liver/heart problem.
Start doing something creative or get out of your flats/houses and go for a nice walk. I live near the Meadows in Edinburgh and I know that city life can be very stressful. However, having the chance to go out in the nature or climb up the Arthur's seat gives you a great pleasure. Get the endorphins do the job for you ;)
Hope that helps.