PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety and holiday

MissBee
21-05-15, 11:30
Hi all,

Just a bit worried really. I have been suffering from anxiety for the past year or so. Never really affected me too badly until the past 6 months where I've began to let it interfere with my life - not going places, staying home where 'I'm safe' etc. This is mostly because on of my key symptoms along with the tight chest, panic, breathing difficulties is a desperate need for the toilet. As soon as my anxiety begins you can bet my bowels will start a few minutes later. Obviously when I'm out and about this can be a real problem as I start to panic about getting to a toilet and things like immodium don't seem to work for me anymore.

Before this got out of hand I booked a family holiday abroad and was so looking forward to it. But now I'm dreading the travelling - car journey to the airport, waiting around in queues, plane and then coach transfers at the other end. Then being in an unfamiliar place where I don't know where toilets are. I really don't know how I'll cope and I'm so gutted that this is happening to me and ruining what was supposed to be a relaxing holiday before it's even begun.

I know this is purely a reaction to my anxiety. I have never had an accident but the fear of it happening is taking over my life. I'm fine at home or in familiar places like work or supermarkets where I know there's a toilet close by. I thought at one point it was IBS but it know now it's down to my anxiety and I desperately want to find a way to control it.

Any advice on how to handle the holiday and my anxiety in general would be really appreciated x

Oosh
22-05-15, 00:12
I can see how you'd worry about that. I've recently been on holiday abroad though and honestly, there wasn't a point in the journey where there wasn't access to toilets. I drink lots of tea and more often than not need a wee so I'm also someone who likes to know about toilet availability :shades:

MissBee
24-05-15, 15:04
Thanks Oosh, I guess there are very few places these days where you can't get to a toilet pretty quickly. The main thing that worries me are the car/coach journeys. After a few horrible panic attacks and urgent toilet stops in the car, my brain seems to have registered this as 'danger' area and now I seem to get anxiety whenever we go on a journey out of town. I am due to start CBT and exposure therapy in the next few weeks although with my holiday just 10 days away, I think I'll be throwing myself in at the deep end with my own forced exposure with no chance to build up to it in steps.

Praying I'll be ok. It doesn't always affect me, sometimes I'll be fine. But the second I start with the feelings of anxiety you can bet the urge for the toilet will start and unfortunately the two work in a vicious cycle.