PDA

View Full Version : Continue Or Stop Mirtazapine?

nedmcg
21-05-15, 11:48
After 8 years on citalopram I went through a relationship break up about 10 months ago and this rocked the boat a bit I was able to live day to day life normally it was just going out in the evenings and driving medium/long distance journeys. I decided to change medication to see if it was I just grew a tolerance to it.

I went on to fluoxetine I found after 3 weeks on this I could cope and had to withdraw and doctor prescribed mirtazapine

I have been on mirtazapine for about 4 weeks now just want to shared my experience and see what other advise people have.

I started on 15mg then increased to 30mg two weeks later. I have been on 30 mg for 4 weeks now and just increased to 45mg but I have never felt so anxious.

They seem to give me real stomach issues and abdominal discomfort (slowly gotten worse the last few weeks), as stated above the doctors has increased the dose to 45 mg (30mg before bed 15mg in the morning) but not sure If I should say enough is enough. I honestly have felt better taking nothing at all than on these.

Anyone else been in this situation or similar?

Moley
22-05-15, 10:57
Hi nedmcg

I take mirtazapine too and like u I have my dose split 15mg morning and 30mg night.
I suffer from acid reflux as a side effect of mirtazapine which is controlled by another medication called omeprazole.

mirtazapine can be quiet slow to reach its full effect maybe 8/10 weeks and its seems that ur increases have been quiet quick. only u can decide what is right for u but I would consider sticking it out a bit longer if u can to see whether the anxiety does settle. also might be worth discussing with ur doc something to help with ur stomach issues.

hope this helps a bit

Moley

hanshan
22-05-15, 11:38
Hi nedcmg,

It takes a minimum 4 - 8 weeks before you can say an AD is effective.

Please try to stay with your current medication.

nedmcg
23-05-15, 00:10
Thanks for the replys, has anyone had any stomach problems with the mirtazapine?