PDA

View Full Version : Hello

joelhall
26-01-07, 13:18
Hi all,

My name's Joel, i'm 24 (until March at least) and currently live 9in Peterborough, occaisionally staying in Aylesbury with my parents. I 've been suiffering with panic and anxiety for around 4 years, 'though I had some psychotherapy and was fine for around 2 years, with only isolated periods of anxiety. Since last October however, they've returned (so I'm told) and I've become really bad this time round - agoraphobia, trouble relaxing, always feeling hot or nauseous or weak and shaky, and finding it impossible to relax and interact with other people properly. I'm convinced I'm dying of something and everyone around me treats me like I'm imagining it or just get annoyed with me talking about it, and have a go at me for whining, etc.

My GP referred me to Manor House againfor therapy, but of course there's an NHS waiting list! All I really need is people to talk to but it's very hard finding someone who will listen without trying to give me "advice" or starting their sentances with "I know these symptoms seem real to you...".

Worse still we're expecting another baby in about 2 weeks, and I'm not sure about how I'll cope with being in a strange place (that's the maternity ward - which I've been to before) or being on my own and trying to look after a 3 year old. I was a professional drummer but I cannot do that anymore, and when we have guests I make excuses for them to leave because I feel so crap. Now I feel incredibly isolated from everyone and like I'm letting everyone down.

I could go on but I don't want to get on your tits as well.

Robertc160882
26-01-07, 14:16
Hi Joe,

Welcome on board mate..

Firstly congratulations on the fact you are going to be dad again that is good news and something I’m sure you will cope fine with etc. Like you I went through an experience similar to that you are about to go through worrying about visiting maternity again and at the time I had a two year old to look after. The only thing that I believe was different is that my partner at the time was pregnant with twins.

What I would like to say is that it doesn’t matter what other people think, like you my family come out with comments like you need to snap out with it. This kind of think is just ignorance to mental health problems as they wouldn’t say it if you had cancer. The thing is anxiety and panic attacks is like all other health problems it is required to be treated like all other conditions.

What you don’t mention is how your partner copes with it I imagine it must be hard for her etc with you making excusing to guests. I had the same problem and at the time my partner thought I didn’t want her to have a live but she now understands a little more about my condition.

Anyway best of luck.

Robert

joelhall
26-01-07, 14:23
She doesn't cope with it. Neither do my parents, or anyone around me which in turn makes me feel even more like I'm falling apart at the seams and letting everyone down.

yorkylover
26-01-07, 14:25
Hi Joel and welcome,theres lots of support here and advise,your not alone.;)

Ellen XX

honeybee3939
26-01-07, 16:40
Hi Joel

And a BIG warm welcome to you, lovely to see you here im sure you will get some great advice while making new friends on the way.:D

Take a look at the first step pages also Joel you may find them of interest.
First Steps: First Steps to overcoming Panic and Anxiety (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=942)

Love

Andrea
xxxx

"If you have a worry turn it into a problem, you cant solve worrys but you can solve problems"

sal
26-01-07, 17:22
Hi Joel

Welcome to the site. Sorry you are not feeling well at the moment. You have immense pressure on you and give yourself some credit many people expecting their second child with a toddler aswell would find that daunting and question how you are going to cope.

I am sure in the maternity ward when the baby arrives you will be too busy being the proud dad and that will take the edge of how you are feeling.

There are so many people on this site who understand and can offer you loads of support and help. You are not alone and however we can we will support you.

Love Sal xx

Dont mess up the best things in your life, just because at present you are unsure who you are.

"Life is a distance and to travel that distance you were given the strength and guidance to do so".

manmoor
26-01-07, 21:22
Hi Joel,

A big warm welcome to you.

"When There Was Only One It Was Then That I Carried You."

kazzie
26-01-07, 22:09
Hi Joel

A very big WELCOME to you

You will not get on anyones tits here I promise:D

Luv Kaz x

ALWAYS LOOK ON THE BRIGHT SIDE OF LIFE!!!!!!

trac67
27-01-07, 14:26
Hi Joe,

Welcome to the forum, you will get a lot of good advice here and make some new friends.

Take care

Trac xx

'Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain'

nomorepanic
27-01-07, 18:39
Hi Joel

Welcome aboard and lovely to see you here and hope we can be of some help.

You will meet some fantastic people here.

Nicola

People will forget what you said
People will forget what you did
But people will never forget how you made them feel