PDA

View Full Version : The gender gap

joelhall
26-01-07, 14:57
I've noticed that there is a difference in the numbers of males and females here. I know that statistically more females suffer with anxiety and panic than males, but the diference seems larger than that. My only thoughts are that most men have problems talking about things like this or showing weakness and admitting to things like this (the "pridse" excuse)
Personally I have this problem al;ot and feel like I'm being judged for "not being a man", and bad for not being able to do the things expected of me, especially at home. I know alot of people love to shout sexist (or any-ist) at things people say these days, but I still think that there is a big difference btween men and women the way nature programmed us, and even the most PC-person stills expects certain things of certain people. This seems particularly so with the sexes.

Do any other blokes on the site feel like they have suffered more social stigma with anxiety and panic because they are male? Or that people are more likely to brush it off and tell you to "pull yourself together" ?
Do any ladies here feel that help is more forthcoming or that people try to be more sympathetic because they are female?

clickaway
26-01-07, 15:12
Hi Joel

An interesting point. It may surprise you to learn that 31% of our members are male, but I think when it comes to the numbers that are active the number is somewhat lower reflecting our gender's reluctance to admit to others.

I think I am one of those that are quite OK about being open with my issues. Maybe this is in part due to the fact they I still need to be mothered - I don't have a partner but my friends are mostly female.

I don't have too much of a stigma about anxiety, but did so when I had epilepsy when I was a young teenager. I could not admit that to anyone, but my attitude over anxiety in adulthood seems to be the opposite!

Cheers

Ray

http://www.anxietyrelease.org.uk/

And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance, I hope you dance.
~Mark Sanders and Tia Sillers

Piglet
26-01-07, 15:29
Funnily enough I don't think more help is forthcoming just because I am a woman - infact I think it's often put down to 'hormones', or PMT with women, or that we are too emotional or somesuch!!

I think if you are a man and not worried about being open about your anxiety I tend to think in someways you get treated with more credibility.

However these are massive sweeping statements and I can totally understand how men may still feel uncomfortable about talkin about it - we still have an awful long way to come in society regarding not just anxiety etc but also gender roles, physical appearences etc etc!!

Piglet :)

"Supposing a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?" said Piglet.
"Supposing it didn't," said Pooh after careful thought.

ceecee
26-01-07, 15:53
hi joel
i think it must in some ways be harder for a man when it comes to having anxiety and panic attacks.
i think that women find it alot easier to talk to people about their problems and to cry when we are feeling anxious/upset,but i think men find it much more difficult to open up to people and tell them how they really feel.
although my hubby doesn,t doesn,t suffer from anxiety,when his father and young cousin passed away last year,he wouldn,t show that he was upset in front of others(he did his grieving in private)so i think that this is really a male thing where you feel as though you can,t show your anxieties.
though piglet is bang on when she says about the pmt or our hormones(thats what my hubby always puts mine down to!!!!!)
take care
rach x

Nick1981
27-01-07, 21:17
Hi All,
I found it difficalt to admit my problems when they first happened. But i find it better to talk openly about it now. It helped my put things in perspective. My friends, family and company all know i suffer GAD and Panic Attacks, i also have bouts out agraphobia. It helped me to worry less about having an attack in from of them.
Nick

"It does get better"

Ross
28-01-07, 18:30
I think Males tend to be less supportive of eachother than females with regards to anything, not just Anxiety or Phobias.

I guess also females are still thought upon as 'the weaker' sex. I personally don't believe thats true, but certain social circles certainly hang on to archaic beliefs. For example, it is accepted for a lass to be scared of Spiders, but a man should be butch and take control of the situation, removing the offending eight legged monster from the bath with immense heroism.

Therefore, isn't it plausible that it is more commonly accepted for females to have these worries, whereas men shouldn't?

Different societies, different communities will have varying degree's of 'ism's'.

domino
28-01-07, 21:09
Weather you are a guy or girl does,nt make any difference, it,s the surport you get from your family and friends that,s inportant surely.