PDA

View Full Version : Effexor success????

crazyldy
22-05-15, 18:15
Hi, I am new to the forum. I have been on Prozac on and off for 22 years. I'm weaning down from 60mg a day.(currently on 20mg and miserable) to switch to Effexor.I have social and general anxiety disorders and severe depression. Has anyone had success with Effexor? Was there huge weight gain? My Prozac was increased and increased and losing efficacy.

aprilmoon
22-05-15, 20:44
Hi and welcome to the site.
I've been on Effexor for several years now on different doses at different times,and have found it effective.For a while when I was very depressed, I took it alongside Mirtazapine,but now I'm just on the Effexor at 187.5 taken as one dose in the morning as its slow release.
My weight has fluctuated over the years,mostly due to my own bad habits than the med I would say.:)

nicola1980
22-05-15, 21:18
Hi im also on effexor 187.5mg and have been for the last 3 years, i find it very effective against my anxiety and panic altho it took a while to get my dosage right. I have gained weight with it unfortunately but I've recently joined slimming world and have successfully lost over a stone, im not sure whether it was the effexor that made me gain weight or like Aprilmoon just my bad eating habits XX

crazyldy
22-05-15, 21:23
Thank you both! Prozac was great for me up until the last year..it just isn't working anymore. I tried Paxil and had a psychotic episode and then horrendous withdrawal getting off of it...that terrified me so I'm really worried about a new medication. Thanks so much for the encouragement!!!

lindamine
22-05-15, 22:01
I've been on effexor for several years now. Yes, it did increase my appetite for a while but that leveled off after some time on it. This med takes time to work. I had the same issue with Prozac. It pooped out on me. I also take several other meds to help with my bipolar depression and panic. I am in an ok place. Would like to be better but am hugely grateful for the progress I've made thus far. It's taken me a long time to be able to say this. Many many years.
I hope you have good results with the new med. Good Luck

tommackent88
25-05-15, 17:20
Hi

I have just started taking this too and also worried about taking new meds. I've not had the best start as I've had some undesirable side effects already (it's been 3 days). It's always difficult especially if you have to keep up a routine.

I was on prozac for several years and I now regret coming off it.

Wishing you the best of luck