PDA

View Full Version : I've got to see my Gastroenterologist next month...

cjemc
23-05-15, 19:13
This has been going on now for 21 months since I first saw my doctor complaining of persistent dry retching/heaving. I have had major blood testing which has all come back normal, I have also had a Barium x-ray to examine my stomach and esophagus and nothing was found on that either.

Would he send me for capsule endoscopy if I asked or would they have to be privately funded by myself?

I have told both gastroenterologists and my GP that I think this symptom is anxiety related but none seem to think of this as a viable explanation.

Help me???

MyNameIsTerry
24-05-15, 06:24
Hi Calum,

There is still the possibility of anxiety, but they should rule any physical cause out first. Then they can refer it to a psychologist to determine if this is one of the Somatoform disorders.

Given there are examples (these are the extremes) of people losing sight, control of a bodily function or limb, etc then there is the possibility for an issue that, to a lesser extent, is seen already in anxiety disorders.

You won't need to pay for tests at all under the NHS, only if they don't believe they should be conducted and you private.

cjemc
24-05-15, 19:45
Hi Calum,

There is still the possibility of anxiety, but they should rule any physical cause out first. Then they can refer it to a psychologist to determine if this is one of the Somatoform disorders.

Given there are examples (these are the extremes) of people losing sight, control of a bodily function or limb, etc then there is the possibility for an issue that, to a lesser extent, is seen already in anxiety disorders.

You won't need to pay for tests at all under the NHS, only if they don't believe they should be conducted and you private.

Hi Terry,

I wonder what physical causes could be triggering retching? Hiatal hernia, Esophagal cancer, Acid Reflux, Barrett's oseophogus?

I feel like everything is horrific and causing me to retch, everywhere feels incredibly dangerous and I feel constantly threatened like something horrific is going to happen. I cannot be a passenger in a car anymore because that makes me retch severely, I cannot go into a multi storey car park because that makes me retch horrifically.
Surely a Gastrointestinal disorder wouldn't cause this perception/illness of the mind?

Crystalhiggs
24-05-15, 20:05
Hi Calum, the only way they can know for sure what's causing this is by doing an endoscopy, I'm surprised they did a barium but a not a camera down. I have a lot of experience of this as had nissen fundoplication surgery last year (the reason for my anxiety!) so I know (if it is GI related) how awful this can be. I would push for an endoscopy so they can rule out GERD and/or hernia. Unlikely to be Cancer if your swallow was fine!
Let us know how you get on and good luck!

cjemc
24-05-15, 20:22
Hi Calum, the only way they can know for sure what's causing this is by doing an endoscopy, I'm surprised they did a barium but a not a camera down. I have a lot of experience of this as had nissen fundoplication surgery last year (the reason for my anxiety!) so I know (if it is GI related) how awful this can be. I would push for an endoscopy so they can rule out GERD and/or hernia. Unlikely to be Cancer if your swallow was fine!
Let us know how you get on and good luck!

What if I retch whilst the camera is down "there"
Would this perforate my gullet and require an emergency operation to repair?

Hi crystal, just read that you said that nissen fundoplication surgery was the reason for your anxiety. Does that mean that your surgery was the reason for your anxiety? I'm sorry but I don't understand fully!

Crystalhiggs
24-05-15, 20:49
Hi Calum I don't know about retching whilst camera is inside but I was sedated each time so I guess you prob wouldn't if sedated?

Yes I have had anxiety since surgery as I had swallowing issues afterwards and it was scary. I was back in hospital twice but they couldn't find out why. Then in Feb I developed insomnia out if the blue which I know was because of the anxiety. I'm much better now but take a low dose of Trazodone to help me sleep - I hate taking it though so trying to come off.

Anyway I know a lot of people who have had very similar symptoms to you who have ended up having the surgery, most have been successful (I was unlucky) so def get it checked out properly!

cjemc
24-05-15, 20:53
Hi Calum I don't know about retching whilst camera is inside but I was sedated each time so I guess you prob wouldn't if sedated?

Yes I have had anxiety since surgery as I had swallowing issues afterwards and it was scary. I was back in hospital twice but they couldn't find out why. Then in Feb I developed insomnia out if the blue which I know was because of the anxiety. I'm much better now but take a low dose of Trazodone to help me sleep - I hate taking it though so trying to come off.

Anyway I know a lot of people who have had very similar symptoms to you who have ended up having the surgery, most have been successful (I was unlucky) so def get it checked out properly!

But you had nissen surgery triggering anxiety, I haven't, have no gastrointestinal symptoms and have tried Omerprazole, had 50 blood tests and a barium x-ray so there is no medical basis for my retching. I say it is a highly osychological schizophrenic/anxiety/bipolar/depressive disorder personally.

Crystalhiggs
24-05-15, 21:12
Well I don't know Calum I was just responding to your mention of endoscopy really, and because I have come into contact with a lot of people with similar symptoms since my surgery. But perhaps you can have an endoscopy to rule the physical side out completely?

Only you know your body and how you feel inside so maybe some counselling might get to the bottom of it? Whatever is causing it, I hope you get some relief soon!

MyNameIsTerry
25-05-15, 05:53
It won't be Schizophrenia and to be bipolar you would need to be experiencing the mania & depressive episodes. Its more like anxiety based as you have just mentioned how everything feels dangerous to you and how you can't be inh a care because it makes the retching start.

So, providing they cannot find a physical reason for it via tests, they should be considering a referral for assessment by a psychologist to determine if it is perhaps one of the Somatoform Disorders.

Retching is already a symptom of anxiety so we have control over it. This means that we could also make it happen whenever we want whether consciously or subconsciously. Like I said, some people with Somatoform Disorders have advanced in terms of symptoms to a very specific physical symptom. There was an article posted by fight&flight a few days ago by a Neurologist in The Guardian where she explained some of the strange cases she had come across. If they can advance to that, and they were influencing areas of the body not associated with anxiety, then it is always a possibility that retching could be in that category as we already can do it anytime we want. People with Sensorimotor or Somatoform OCD feel they have to control a physical function all day long, most commonly blinking, swallowing and breathing. In their case they do it consciously but they are trying to control what is essentially an automated process.

cjemc
25-05-15, 14:43
It won't be Schizophrenia and to be bipolar you would need to be experiencing the mania & depressive episodes. Its more like anxiety based as you have just mentioned how everything feels dangerous to you and how you can't be inh a care because it makes the retching start.

So, providing they cannot find a physical reason for it via tests, they should be considering a referral for assessment by a psychologist to determine if it is perhaps one of the Somatoform Disorders.

Retching is already a symptom of anxiety so we have control over it. This means that we could also make it happen whenever we want whether consciously or subconsciously. Like I said, some people with Somatoform Disorders have advanced in terms of symptoms to a very specific physical symptom. There was an article posted by fight&flight a few days ago by a Neurologist in The Guardian where she explained some of the strange cases she had come across. If they can advance to that, and they were influencing areas of the body not associated with anxiety, then it is always a possibility that retching could be in that category as we already can do it anytime we want. People with Sensorimotor or Somatoform OCD feel they have to control a physical function all day long, most commonly blinking, swallowing and breathing. In their case they do it consciously but they are trying to control what is essentially an automated process.

Hi Terry, I have been doing some research and based on what I have read I may have a somatisation disorder. Do you have any idea on what treatment there is for such a disorder? Is it therapies or medication?

Fishmanpa
25-05-15, 15:03
Are you still drinking heavily? In addition to the negative effects it can have on anxiety, it also plays havoc with your digestive system.

Positive thoughts

cjemc
25-05-15, 15:21
Are you still drinking heavily? In addition to the negative effects it can have on anxiety, it also plays havoc with your digestive system.

Positive thoughts

Hi fishmanpa, yes still drinking a lot. Only 1 night off of alcohol since last September and drinking anything from 3-6 cans of lager per evening. However had tests for liver function, renal function and ggt test and all came back normal.