PDA

View Full Version : Eating bread on best before date

zx123
25-05-15, 11:30
Is bread safe to eat on the best before date?

MyNameIsTerry
25-05-15, 11:41
Best Before Dates are purely a measure of guaranteed quality. After that date the maker can't guarantee the product will be as good. So, you can monitor the food or supplement and eat/take it long after this date. There is no legal obligation to even have them on the packet as the government don't care about them.

Its Use By Dates that you need to be careful with. These are legally required by the government on certain foods. They shop cannot sell the product after this date as this is about food safety.

So, if you mean a Use By Date then it is safe on the day of expiry. You can extend it beyond this date anyway by freezing it for up to a month. The same on many other foods such as frozen meats.

If its a Best Before Date, it really doesn't matter and you should judge it yourself as to whether it look, smells and even tastes ok.

To be honest, you should always exercise judgement on anything as sometimes things can go off even before. For instance, two of mandarins were in date for another day but when I got them out there was some mold forming on them. I've allso had some chicken and bacon that has been in date but not smelled right.

venusbluejeans
25-05-15, 13:05
I don't take any notice of best before dates on bread..... as long as it is still relitavely soft and not mouldy then I eat it :)