PDA

View Full Version : Something ALWAYS hurts...

its1111
25-05-15, 21:45
Hi everyone-- I'm sure there has been a thread similar to this, but sometimes I feel like writing down my issues helps, especially to people who will understand them! I hope you'll take the time to read :D

I'm 29 and have been plagued with health anxiety on and off for about 10 years. I had a major surgery when I was 18 and for a few years after that, I was always worried about my body. Thankfully, this went away for a few years, but came back with a VENGEANCE this past September when I had to have my Gallbladder removed. There is a chance I am allergic to anesthetic, so any surgery worries me, but for some reason, this one put me over the edge and I'm not sure why?? All went well and the recovery was no big deal. I'm starting to wonder if all the gastritis before and after the Gallbladder removal has something to do with it.

Anyway, it seems like every single day something new hurts...It has taken over my life! And of course, I'm a googler and worrier... One day it's my head, one day I'm super nauseous, one day my shoulder blade hurts, I'm exhausted, etc.... Now to be fair, I have had a great deal of gastritis since my Gallbladder removal, and I am having an endoscopy in a few weeks. But the back and stomach pain associated with the gastritis is very random, so I always question if it's something else.

I am also naturally tachycardic, even without anxiety, so if my heart rate goes up, I wonder, "wow am I really having a heart attack this time, or is it just another panic episode??"

I was given prozac in November, but that ultimately made my anxiety worse (and packed on a few extra pounds!)- I'm not depressed, so the dr. told me to go off the prozac and start clorazepate as needed. The weaning of the prozac was a nightmare, and didn't make my symptoms any better!!

I know many of you are going through similar experiences, so if you have any tips or suggestions (yes, I know I need to lay off Google), I'd really appreciate it. I am tired of feeling like I am in pain all the time...and even more tired of wondering if it's something awful. I am just SO worried something is going to happen to me one day and it terrifies me.
Thanks for reading...and thanks for your other posts on this forum. They really are nice to read :)

ready_to_live
28-05-15, 20:24
Hello, I'm sorry I don't really have any suggestions but I couldn't leave this unanswered as I know how you feel. Everyday I feel some pain and csnt help wondering if its something terminal! A few months ago it was my head as I had pain all day everyday thankfully it is much better but now since I had a gallbladder attack it is back pain lower and upper, and tightness in chest. I've also always had a high resting heart rate and it never used to bother me but now im so aware if it and always checking my heart rate and worrying there's something wrong with it.

Do you think another ssri might help? I've just read a post on here from someone who's had success with sertraline? I'm considering asking gp for meds.
I'm having a telephone assessment for counselling tomorrow too.

Wishing you all the best ��

Fishmanpa
28-05-15, 20:41
I'm 56 have had two heart attacks, bypass surgery, stents and head and neck cancer. I've been sliced and diced, cooked and stewed more ways than Grandma's Sunday dinner! ~lol~ I won't go into the details but I sure know what pain is about. That's not even getting into the normal everyday growing old type stuff we all deal with.

I don't have HA but have dealt with some depression and GAD ("scanxiety") due to my physical issues.

I live with some level of constant pain 24/7, 365. Some days are better than others and some are not. Here's the thing. I know, from the tests and doctor's visits, it's not sinister. Based on my history, I have to be aware of things obviously but that twinge in my neck or throat is not the cancer coming back and that ache in my chest is not another heart attack (I KNOW what they feel like). It sucks but it is what it is. I eat right, get some exercise, practice relaxation techniques, use pain meds when needed and most recently have been getting acupuncture for my chronic pain issues.

Most of all, it's a matter of adopting the proper attitude. If I focus on the pain, it can and does get me down. If I push through, find things to distract my mind and keep on placing one foot in front of the other, I manage quite well.

Anxiety and depression can and does cause real physical symptoms and pain. Treating that as well as the obvious common sense things one should do to remain healthy are the best ways to combat it.

Positive thoughts

Davit
29-05-15, 08:16
I often wonder if having limited movement and constant pain is enough to keep me from looking for stuff I don't need. I don't have HA, never did. And yes, I know what pain is like and I know what dying feels like as they rush to patch me up. I know what it is like to wake up with so many tubes stuck in me I look like an octopus. And sound like the count down for the shuttle. So I didn't die. I'm enjoying life crappy as it can be some days, Some days are diamonds, some days just a stone. (more like coal) I check twice, like to get a second opinion but it stops there. Two okays are enough. But like I say, why don't I have HA. Strange pains every day. Why am I not running to the doctor. I have been best buddies with anxiety and panic but even then no HA. I have a theory and you don't want to hear it and I'm not going to tell you. Besides it is just a theory. I don't post what isn't a fact.