PDA

View Full Version : Health anxiety - unsure where to turn

damianjmcgrath
26-05-15, 11:30
Hello all,

Firstly, I'd like to say I've got a lot of use out of this forum, and have been reading many posts and they have helped me.

I'm not sure if this is the right place, but I wanted to give a brief description of how I'm feeling, and see if people can offer any sort of advice to minimize things, or next things to try. It'd be reassuring hearing people suffer the same things, especially if they've done a few things to improve symptoms.

I'm a 30 year old male, non smoker, non drinker, in reasonably poor fitness. I can cycle around 5 miles and run maybe 1-2 before getting absolutely exhausted.

Recently, around 9 months ago, I suddenly got very light headed and my heart was beating fast and my blood pressure was up to around 145/100, and my pulse was at 110. There was no reason for it, I was lying on my sofa at the time. It came out of nowhere. I started getting anxious about a heart problem.

I have been for ECG's, which generally came back normal, although some did show an inverted T wave in lead 3, whatever that is. The doctors said it's not a concern. I had a stress ECG which was fine, except for that lead 3 thing. I had a echocardiogram which came back fine, except for a 1% change of something called a phaenochromocytoma, which I've been tested for and awaiting results. I think that's an adrenal tumour of some kind.

Blood pressure generally is around 122/80 and pulse is around 65-80 most of the time, even though it physically feels like my heart is pounding much quicker.

However, my main concern is that I'm in a constant state of anxiety or nervousness, all day long. I'm slightly shaky in my legs and chest, my chest feels like it's trembling a little. My throat feels like it's closed up, there's a bit of an ache in the bottom of my throat, near the two breast bone bits. My breathing feels shallow, like I'm not completely breathing normally. Every now and then, it feels like it catches a little, and I get a choky feeling like you do when you're about to be sick. It passes after 1-2 seconds though. Often, my heart will start beating quickly for absolutely no reason. There's a general feeling of apprehension, like I'm waiting in the dentist waiting room. Whenever I exert myself a little, like walking up 2 flights of stairs, my breathing is a little difficult, my heart beats faster, and when I sit down, I have to take deep breaths to get back to normal. I don't know if this is normal because my fitness is poor, and I'm being too hypervigilant, or whether it's a sign of a proper problem.

It's a very weird sensation, the pain is never enough to need a painkiller. It's just a constant "feeling" or sensation, and I can't quite put my finger on it. Again, it's like that dentist feeling. It's very annoying and worrying, but doesn't need painkillers.

It's worse in situations I can't get away from, such as social situations, looking after my daughter on my own, watching football games in stadiums, etc. I even went on holiday to relax, and because it was a remote location, I felt nervous about help getting to me. However, it can often just come on for no apparent reason at all.

I have noticed I feel worse when my baby daughter cries in the middle of the night, or my partner is angry about something. Maybe that's stress making things worse?

I'm worried about things getting worse, i.e., throat closing up for a longer period and me not being able to breath, or for my heart to beat a lot quicker and for me to develop sweats which will make me think heart attack.

Does this sound like health anxiety to people?

I have tried CBT - I'm currently 5 weeks into a 6 week group session, and they can offer one-to-one sessions afterwards. I've been prescribed propanonol but haven't taken it - I'm worried about side effects. I've tried breathing techniques but can't seem to get them to work. Meditation seems to just make me more aware of my breathing and I worry it's in a weird pattern, or suddenly I find it difficult to breathe.

Because it's every day, and mostly all day, it's really difficult to ignore.

Do people have any advice or techniques for me to try? I'd really appreciate any input.

Thank you.

misskittie
26-05-15, 15:55
It sounds like generalized anxiety disorder to me. Hopefully in the group you are in they can help you with a label if you are looking for one. I know that's how I feel a lot of the time; constantly on edge that somethubg bad is going to happen. Mine started shortly after my first daughter was born cus I was worried about not being there for her and not getting to see her life. As little as a raised voice or an extra person around has me panicking and like you it can come out of nowhere so for the longest times I didn't believe doctors that it was just anxiety. Who gets anxious watching TV or reading a book I'd ask. I guess it happens tho that something on the TV or a thought we didn't notice sets it off without us even being aware. I was fine for a long time and it unfortunately has come back again for some reason.
Things I have been trying to do to help me this time are some meditation although I know you said it makes you more aware and panicky. Have you tried guided meditation tho? I can't just do it on my own but there are some great guided ones on YouTube. I really like Jason Stephenson ones.
I have been reading the Lois L Hay book "You Can Heal Your Life" which I highly recommend to anyone.
I've been trying to change the way I think like yesterday I found myself going ugh I have to do laundry I had to correct myself and say yes but I will have a whole bunch of new clean clothes to wear.
Try this gratitude thing I read about and has helped me. Each night going to bed say thank you for all the things you are grateful for: thank you for the time with my daughter, thank you for my supportive spouse, thank you for the warm and comfy bed, thank you for the time now to heal rest and heal my body, etc. And then do it again in the morning thanking for the nice sleep and so on. I find it helps me feel positive right off the bat.
I have also been trying positive affirmations like I approve of myself and I am young and healthy. Just over and over again.
You will have a hard time believing a lot of the stuff at first but supposedly if you keep on with it you will start to believe it.
I'm definitely no expert cus I'm like you stuck in the middle of this right now and have only been trying these techniques for a few days but I am starring to feel a little better and more relaxed. Hopefully some of these ideas will help you too.

damianjmcgrath
26-05-15, 16:10
First of all, thank you for your comments. As I was writing my first post, I felt it was a bit disorganised, and I wasn't explaining myself very well. It's really "good" that you recognised a few things I was saying. I am torn between thinking I have either health anxiety or generalised anxiety disorder. I am not anxious about anything except my health - for example, I can go shopping perfectly fine, and I can do work presentations in front of strangers, and I got through my own wedding day with no problems. Comments from people don't give me anxiety, and I don't watch the news about terrorist attacks and assume my town will be next. I don't have those GAD symptoms.

All of my anxiety is around health - especially heart problems, breathing problems or throat closing up problems. I get little twinges of pains and aches and odd sensations for most of the day, so the anxious feelings last pretty much 24/7. I even wake up in a frightened mood, almost as if I'd had a nightmare. I also have a lot of trouble trying to rationalise things away. For example, if I was gardening in 30 degree heat, and then I felt hot with arm ache, I could logic that away. But I often get chest pains and tightness of throat when I'm lying on the sofa, or doing nothing, and the only logic I can possibly think of is a heart problem. Nothing else makes any sort of sense. I'm not even thinking anything anxious at the time - it literally comes on from nowhere and leaves my brain with no other rational reasons!

I guess I don't need a label, but I've assumed I'm more down the health anxiety route.

I will definitely look up guided meditation and into that book you mentioned. I know I'm probably looking for a miracle cure, but I understand that I won't find one. I'm just after somewhere to start - hopefully something will make a tangible impact, so I know I'm making progress.

In the rare occasions I feel good, I still find myself worrying that I'll feel bad later - it's ridiculous!

With those worrying thoughts, I get uncomfortable symptoms, such as clammy palms, hot face, sweating a bit, heavy eyelids, stress tension headache, irritability, and lack of interest in doing anything I used to enjoy. Even playing Football Manager bores me now! That's how I know I'm in a bad way!

When I'm in this mood, I get very tired, so when my 18 month old daughter climbs on me, I know that I snap at her sometimes, and my stress rises extremely quickly, which causes more fast heart beats, and I want everyone to go away and leave me alone, which can't happen. Maybe the feeling of being trapped in that situation makes things worse, and obviously, my partner just thinks I'm being grumpy and unsociable, and she shouts at me, which continues the cycle. The worst thing is, I understand their side more than my own! I know I'm snappy, I know it's my grumpiness, and I wish I had the energy, and dare I say it, the motivation to want to play with my own daughter, but all I can think about is "I want to go upstairs, be on my own, and try and relax enough to stop all these feelings".

I often sleep downstairs by myself, because it's cooler and I can watch my own TV and have a few moments of peace, and that seems to work, but obviously, it's not doing much for my relationship with my partner. Maybe it's a case of when I'm downstairs, I can't hear my daughter cry so my partner has to deal with it, and I can remain in peace. Selfish, I know! I just don't think I have the capacity to deal with anything when I get like that.

I just want a few good days in a row, so I can remember what it feels like, and try and make that into my habit. I wish I knew what the trigger was, so I could address that, but I don't.

My new approach is going to be to try and ignore what I'm feeling - so force myself to play with her, and force myself to remain upstairs at bedtime, and force myself into some social situations, and see what happens. I'm not sure if that's a medically acceptable approach - ignoring doesn't sound healthy - but it has to be better than sitting on my own in a corner of the front room feeling sorry for myself, hoping no-one comes near me, or asks me to do anything!

misskittie
26-05-15, 19:29
OK ya I didn't realize it was all about your health. Personally I've been diagnosed with health anxiety and panic disorder so I feel like I'm in a constant state of ahhhh. I know I am always off to the doctors with any slight pain or anything; I know it's completely irrational to think I should be pain free 24/7 but whenever something comes up I freak that this is it somehow it's going to kill me.
I know I wish there was some magical cure that took it away nice and easy but there's nothing we can do but good old fashioned hard work.
Ya where I live they have a website that tells you the wait times of the nearest hospitals and I have that constantly open on the browser of my phone just in case ya know. I can't help but check it all the time even if I'm doing alright I still check it just in case in a few minutes I'm not I'll know which hospital has the shortest wait time. I don't take my kids to the park without another adult cus I fear if something happens to me they won't know what to do and what if they somehow get lost in the shuffle. So I totally get that worry that the feel good is only going to be short lived.
I know it's so all consuming it's all that you can think of that nothing else seems to matter until you can get these feelings to pass.
I have two girls that are 6 and 8 and I can't tell you how many times they've been told that I don't feel well so I'm just going to go lay upstairs or to watch a movie quietly or whatever else. Granted everyone tells me I how I have the most well behaved children they've met, they don't know the sad truth that I can't handle being around the kids much so I've trained them to be quiet. And then my guilt over that just buries me deeper that I'm not giving them the proper childhood they deserve and I'm not being the mom I envision for myself.
My husband is an alcoholic and can be very loud and disruptive to the peace I need so it has been very trying for us as well cus he just wants me to stop being a bitch and to be able to have fun and I want for him to relax and shut up lol. We do what we have to do to get ourselves through each day. There are sometimes you need to be selfish at least that's what I'm told I know I have trouble doing that but if you need to then do so. Hopefully you can talk to your wife and explain everything and she can help by giving you some leeway. I explained everything to my husband just a couple weeks ago and he has thankfully been a little more understanding of what I need.
It can be so hard I've found to find that trigger. For myself it's that I don't trust others. Not doctors which is why I'll go from Dr to dr to dr looking for an answer, not my husband to take care of the girls properly, not anyone. But I haven't been able to get to why I don't trust and why I need this sense of control.
Hopefully maybe forcing yourself to do the things will help you get to where you want to go.
Sorry if I made this all about me but I wanted to show you that others are where you are and that you are not alone in this battle.

damianjmcgrath
26-05-15, 20:46
Thank you for your comments. I can identify with so much of what you've said. No worries about making it all about you - I found that really interesting and useful. It's nice in a way finding someone who can partially understand and has similar experiences. I was beginning to think I was alone.

Hopefully I'll find something that can make a difference soon. I'm not on any medication and that's a last resort to me.

ready_to_live
26-05-15, 21:34
Damian, I feel like you have just described my life! I've been feeling this way for a while now. The tightness in my chest and feeling like I cant breathe correctly is awful and so scary it is so physical that its hard to believe it is anxiety as I also get it out of the blue just watching tv for eg I don't feel mentally anxious about anything when it happens.

My gp thinks it is most likely stress and anxiety. I do feel very stressed im a mum of 3 and don't get any time to myself there's always something that needs to be done. I'm awaiting referral to a cardiologist. I've also been referred for counselling.

ready_to_live
27-05-15, 09:16
Paul thank you so much for your kind words. I'm glad your tests came back normal. ��