PDA

View Full Version : Venlafaxine (Effexor)

pootle
07-09-04, 13:54
Not sure if this is the right forum to ask (maybe it belongs in Symptoms)?

I've suffered from severe anxiety problems (on and off) for the past twelve years. I've just started taking Venlafaxine again after a break of about six months (i'd previously been taking it for four years).

I really can't remember how bad the side effects were the first time round, it was a long time ago and i was very messed up at the time.

Anyway, since starting taking it again (it's been about a week now), i've had an almost constant rapid pulse (between 100 and 140 bpm) and palpatations. I haven't been able to sleep for 2 days now and i'm starting to get really freaked out. I can't think straight, i keep getting pains in my chest and arms, and my whole body aches and feels 'fuzzy'.

I'm just not sure if these symptoms are because i've not slept, if they're a sign of my illness getting worse in spite of the meds, or if they are side-effects of the medication.

I went to see a doctor yesterday (not my usual GP who is on holiday), and he assured me that the symptoms are just anxiety and that these drugs tend to increase anxiety for the first few weeks before settling down. I was already in quite a state when i saw him, and he prescribed me Diazepam 5mg to take 3 times a day until the Venlafaxine kicks in so that i can try and get some sleep.

Despite the Diazepam, i still haven't slept. I feel relatively relaxed when i lie down (except for the palpations which won't go away) but every time i start to drift off to sleep i just wake up again. I spent eight hours lying in bed last night, jolting in and out of almost falling asleep every 10 minutes or so.

I just don't know what to do, the pains in my chest and arms are getting worse as the day drags on, and i'm worried that the increased heart-rate is damaging my heart (although the Doctor said 140 bpm isn't at all dangerous). I'm scared of trying to sleep as i know i won't be able to, but i know that the longer i go without sleeping, the more anxious, confused and paranoid i'll get.

I'm scared of staying at home as i don't want to upset my wife and kids by getting freaked out, and i'm scared of going into hospital (i've never been admitted before and am afraid they'll just pump me full of drugs that will make me feel worse).

For the record, the last time i was taking Venlafaxine was the most productive and 'normal' four years of my life, it's the only drug that has ever worked for me long-term.

Sorry for the long waffling post, i'm getting really freaked here and i just needed to talk to someone.

Andy (pootle)

seh1980
07-09-04, 16:16
hi Andy,

Sounds like you are going through a pretty rough patch!! I would be such a mess if I hadn't slept in 2 days so I can imagine how you feel. It sounds like you are suffering from some horrible symptoms. I have never been on the meds you are on so I don't really have anything to compare your situation to. If these meds worked for you before then chances are they will work for you again - I guess you just have to be patient. It can take a couple of weeks for the side-effects to go away. How long have you been on the meds exactly?

Sarah :D

pootle
07-09-04, 17:19
It's been exactly a week since i started taking them again, the doctor said it would probably take about two weeks for the side effects to subside and the drugs to have an effect.

At the moment i feel fairly calm (took 5mg of Diazepam about an hour and a half ago) but i'm getting really worried about the lack of sleep. I spent all night awake last night, no sleep at all, and got about an hours sleep the night before.

I've spent the last hour and a half laying in bed trying to get a some sleep *any sleep* but i just lay there awake with my eyes closed.

I've had bad insomnia a couple of times before (many years ago) and i know that if i don't get some sleep soon things are going to get really bad.

I just burst into tears writing that last sentance, this is really starting to get to me.

If anyone has any experiences with insomnia caused by this drug, please share them, i just don't know what to do.

Andy.

Meg
07-09-04, 17:37
Hi Andy,

Welcome to the site .

I spent 3 weeks getting one hours sleep a night and being in adreadful state the rest of the time, Initially I wasn't on anything and then relanted and went onto Prozac .
It took at least 2 weeks before any improvements at all were noticed and indeed things got worse before they got better and then it got better noticeably .

In the end for sleep desperation I went and had a vetiver massage - knock out treatment and I slept for 4 hours solid . Bliss.

A heart rate of 100 -140 is not dangerous but certainly not recommended. I ran at about 115 for ages when first acute and my usual is 60.

It will improve . The fuzziness etc is pure exhaustion and will pass. Do cry - it releases calming hormones

Thinking of you ....

Keep with us here and let us know how you're doing

Meg

Anxiety is a thin stream of fear trickling through the mind.
If encouraged, it cuts a channel into which all other thoughts are drained.
Robert Albert Bloch

tara
07-09-04, 17:55
Sorry to hear you haven't got any sleep yet, it's a right pain isn't it. I suffered with insomnia when I first started taking them and it's all to do with the chemical changes thats happening due to the effexor. Also I was told that it is real good to cry by my doctor as it will release loads of tension and anxiety. I have found a good web site for relaxation (i was trying to find out how to chill because i have loads of headaches) I give it to loads of people in the chat room the other nite http://www.painforum.com/en/1/stressheadache.html, have a look at this it's worth a try! I also find a lot of comfort and relaxation in Ylang Ylang aromatherapy oil used in an oil burner it's wonderful, this my also help you to relax and get a little sleep. Try not to worry, Take Care Tara xx

pootle
07-09-04, 19:17
Thank you all for taking the time to talk to me, I'm feeling a lot less alone. I've never been able to use traditional helplines as i have problems using the telephone, this forum feels like a lifesaver.

I should be able to cope with this kind of stuff by now (i've been suffering on and off since i was fourteen), its just been such a long time since i've fallen back this far.

Thank you Tara for the relaxation link, i think maybe i've been concentrating too much on diazepam-induced relaxation over the last couple of days and haven't thought about other ways of winding down.

Thanks again, Andy.

Meg
07-09-04, 21:44
Try this too.

http://www.relax7.com

Meg

pootle
08-09-04, 15:00
Finally managed to get some sleep last night and am feeling a little better (thank you to Meg and Tara for suggesting the relaxation websites).

I went to see my usual GP this morning (who is now back from his holiday) and he has referred me to a Doctor at the hospital with a view to arranging a CPN and possibly other out-patient treatment.

He also measured my blood pressure and pulse rate which are both a little high (side effects of the Venlafaxine apparantly) but nothing to worry about at the moment. It looks like the raised blood-pressure and pulse rate are contributing to the anxiety, and in turn, my inability to sleep. I have to go back on Monday to have them checked again, if they haven't gone down i may have to change medications (hooray, more side-effects to worry about...).

Anyway, i'm feeling a bit more positive today, thanks to the help of my GP and the members of this forum i feel like i'm a little more in control of the whole situation.

Andy (pootle)

tara
08-09-04, 18:13
Hi Andy, your sounding a little more postive today, thats good :). It sounds like your doctor is taking good care of you sending you for tests and keeping an eye on you, it's really reasuring when they do that. I'm so glad you finally managed to get some sleep, bet that done you a world of good. Hope you've had a good day, Tara xxxx

twister
08-09-04, 21:18
Hi Andy

When I first took Cipralex which is also an SSRI I didn't sleep well. I changed to taking it in the morning and that seemed to sort it out.

Hope you feel better soon
x

Emily

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit
Understanding is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad

Meg
09-09-04, 17:22
Hi Andy,

The heart rate and blood pressure thing can be a roundabout situation. You're anxious so it goes up and you're anxious about it going up plus a few side effects .

Good news about some sleep .

You might want to look into a local relaxation class - yoga - tai chi - meditation which will help all facets of this.

Take care

Meg

Anxiety is a thin stream of fear trickling through the mind.
If encouraged, it cuts a channel into which all other thoughts are drained.
Robert Albert Bloch

rusty
23-09-04, 15:40
Hi ya. They do have a strange effect at first but stick with them

april tones
30-11-04, 23:24
hi all, im currently coming off effexor, i was on 2 tabs of 37.5 a day and have reduced down with supervision to 1 a day for 2-3 months, its my first day without one, i feel sick, have a funny numb/dizzy/vibration feeling in body, hard to explain, has any on else had this? how long till the withdrawal symptoms go? cheers xapril x

apriltones