PDA

View Full Version : AnxietyDepression Organisation help???

kelly12
26-05-15, 23:18
Any one know of any organisations that provide counsilling and help for Anxiety/Depression without having to be referred by your doctor or having to pay???....my doctor wont refer me to mental health!!

Matthewray
27-05-15, 02:22
Look for anxiety meet ups/support groups in your area. I know there are some places that have students from universities who are trying to get some hands on hours in for their degree but it varies depending on the city. I recommend a book called "At last a life" by paul david. Did wonders for me. I thought I was gonna need to schedule an appointment but after reading it, I have yet to need it. By far the most practical book in dealing with Anxiety (talks also about the depression that comes with it).

MyNameIsTerry
28-05-15, 05:47
Why won't your GP refer you? Are you in England or Wales? Have you had CBT in the past?

NICE guidelines cover England & Wales and clearly state the the available forms of therapy that GP's should be referring patients into IPT services for. If you can clarify the above questions, I can paste the guidelines in.

In terms of charities, MIND have local branches or other smller charities as part of their network. Rethink do the same. There are also local charities not affiliated to these 2 which either provide support groups and/or courses based on CBT which are free and there are other charities which are providing Guided Self Help & CBT as part if the IAPT framework and are receiving government grants to do so. Some of this latter group may do private work too but it would be chargeable.

Another option is joining Anxiety UK. You pay a small yearly subscription and this entitles you to therapy on a sliding scale basis. If you look at their memberships pge it will show you.

Private therapists also offer reduced cost therapy to those unable to afford full therapy but this is something you have to ask around about. I assume they do this during their downtime so they at least have come money coming in.

Some universities also offer free therapy. They use their MSC students under supervision of someone fully qualified. I know I've seen one in Manchester doing this so it might be worth a look in your area to see if they are offering it.

kelly12
29-05-15, 01:51
My Gp said he wants me to try meds first. I am Currently in ythe process of changing doctors as this GP doesnt help. I am in England and I have tried CBT But unfortunatly I did not find it helpfull. I have spooken to someone from Anxiet uk and the lady was lovely and listened and understood everythiing i was telling her. She also suffers with Anxiety too so she helped alot. You can have Therepy over the phone or face to face for a a small fee. So im really thinking about that.

Im Hoping that my new doctor will refer me to the mental health tho. Ive had this for so long now and tried everything This is my only hope to try and get better.

MyNameIsTerry
29-05-15, 06:10
Ah, I'm with you now. Same situation as with my GP. If you have been through the IAPT route then unless you can go back there you are talking about escalation upwards to the Level 4 services and they can have long waiting lists.

I know Anxiety UK don't just offer CBT, they offer other forms including such as hypnotherapy because they are allowing private therapists to join their network. Here are the costs:

http://www.anxietyuk.org.uk/membership/

They are supposed to try medication after therapy fails or try a combined approach of both but you have the right to agree or disagree. Another GP may prefer a more pro therapy approach or be happy for you to access the higher level services who will want to look at combined approaches again anyway...and they are far more experienced than a GP when it comes to either.