PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone help to shed light on this?

KayeS
27-05-15, 00:13
So basically something has been happening to me over the last few months. I'll start to feel quite sick all day, with nausea, and loose stools, and just feel generally run down. This will last for a week or so, and it won't be all day non stop, it will sort of come for an hour or so, and then pass, then come on again wit the sick feeling. After a week or so, it goes and I feel great again. Then a week or so later, it's back, the loose stools, bloated feeling sometimes, sick feeling/nausea, tiredness and fatigue. Then again after a week or so it passes.

I really don't know what's going on. I don't eat dairy and gluten as it is, so I don't know what else could be causing this. GPs have more or less given up on me, even suggesting it could be anxiety. Now I know this is a cliche thing to say, but HONESTLY, I know what my anxiety causes, and this isn't it. In fact I'm not even anxious about anything currently. Even this particular thing isn't actually causing me anxiety. I've had every blood test and other test going so I'm not actually thinking this is anything particularly serious, I more just want it to stop so I can feel healthy! When it goes, I feel amazing and wanna do everything. When it comes on though I feel like utter crap. Can barely make it through my gym workouts, and just feel generally sick.... Help :/

popejoan
27-05-15, 00:46
It is anxiety. I was exactly the same until I started taking anti-depressants and beta blockers. We underestimate what anxiety can do to our bodies. Something sinister you might think is happening is cancer and without weight loss there is no cancer. I'd recommend beta blockers and Cbt.

KayeS
27-05-15, 01:01
Honestly I can actually safely say this isn't anxiety. Or I can say it's HIGHLY unlikely as I really am not anxious at the moment and haven't been in a bad way in terms of anxiety for a while. And I wasn't even thinking cancer to be honest. I'm not losing weight, my blood tests are fine. But it's definitely something. I'm thinking maybe a food intolerance or something but it really is making me feel awful.

Fishmanpa
27-05-15, 01:12
Honestly I can actually safely say this isn't anxiety. Or I can say it's HIGHLY unlikely as I really am not anxious at the moment and haven't been in a bad way in terms of anxiety for a while. And I wasn't even thinking cancer to be honest. I'm not losing weight, my blood tests are fine. But it's definitely something. I'm thinking maybe a food intolerance or something but it really is making me feel awful.

Your post history indicates otherwise. Even if you're not feeling particularly anxious, you have anxiety. Think of it like an oven. Even if you turn off the heat, it remains hot for a while and symptoms can still manifest themselves. While a food intolerance can and will cause physical issues, I believe it's the dragon breathing fire down your neck. That and you're posting on an anxiety forum ;)

Positive thoughts

Emilym80
27-05-15, 01:16
For me, my anxiety symptoms change pretty frequently. One month I'll have a lot of chest pain, the next I have shortness of breath and abdominal pain, the next, dizziness with headaches and nausea etc...

It sounds like anxiety to me, personally. I can definitely be anxious without realising. Or, you can get anxiety symptoms genuinely without being anxious once you've been in a period of chronic stress for long enough.

I hope things improve for you. Take care :)

KayeS
27-05-15, 01:21
Oh don't get me wrong, I have health anxiety for sure. The last year has been a year of hell and the worst in my life in regards to health anxiety. But actually right now, although I get it every now and then, it's nothing compared to how it was a few months ago. Maybe it's a by product of the severe anxiety I had? But honestly it feels almost like having a stomach bug, except it comes and goes... I've had a horrible taste in my mouth for the last week as well. :/

Davit
27-05-15, 01:44
i think it is either an overdose of a mineral or a deficiency. either way, the sick period gives your body time to clear it.

Dazza123
27-05-15, 06:33
Have you got your acid issues sorted out yet? Mine can make me feel sick, and it also bloats my stomach and gives a horrible taste in my mouth, which is the acid rising.

Anxiety does make acid worse, so any background anxiety in the back of your mind can get it churning in your stomach.

KayeS
27-05-15, 13:13
Well I stopped taking Omeprazole because I thought maybe that has been causing me to feel sick. My acid has definitely calmed down but it's still there... I think maybe that has something to do with it. I always feel as if my stomach is full of acid (which obviously it is, but in a more... 'too full' way).

Dazza123
27-05-15, 13:24
Esomeprazole is a bit better than normal omeprazole, maybe see if you can get some of that, also Gaviscon advance from the doctor is also pretty good to treat the symptoms.

I am waiting for another endoscopy, and when I have it I am going to ask if there is an operation I can have to sort it out. I have had this problem for 12 years now and am in the middle of a flare up which really hurts so I want it sorted out.

Don't suffer with it, there is plenty the docs can do and prescribe to help you.

Fishmanpa
27-05-15, 13:27
Well I stopped taking Omeprazole because I thought maybe that has been causing me to feel sick. My acid has definitely calmed down but it's still there... I think maybe that has something to do with it. I always feel as if my stomach is full of acid (which obviously it is, but in a more... 'too full' way).

With all due respect... You were prescribed a medicine to reduce stomach acid and stopped taking it because your thought it was making you sick when it was acid in the first place making you feel sick? You're still feeling sick but now a little worse? What did you expect?

Reflux and stomach/digestive issues are very common with anxiety. I suggest you take the meds as prescribed and give them time to work.

Positive thoughts

Yorkshire born
27-05-15, 13:39
I find my physical symptoms are worst when I don't feel mentally anxious and this only fuels my HA because I start to believe that I must really be sick. I believe it is possible to be suffering from the symptoms of anexiety without feeling anxious at the time.

KayeS
27-05-15, 14:44
With all due respect... You were prescribed a medicine to reduce stomach acid and stopped taking it because your thought it was making you sick when it was acid in the first place making you feel sick? You're still feeling sick but now a little worse? What did you expect?

Reflux and stomach/digestive issues are very common with anxiety. I suggest you take the meds as prescribed and give them time to work.

Positive thoughts

I should have clarified - the gastroenterologist I saw told me to take Omeprazole as and when I feel it necessary, as opposed to continuously. I was doing this for a while, my acid settled, so I stopped taking it as it's always better to not be dependant on medication. My acid came back so I went back on the Omeprazole, and then the sick feeling started. It was only after a chat with my doctor that I stopped taking the Omeprazole and was prescribed an alternative called Lansoprazole. I haven't started taking this just yet as my acid hasn't actually been that bad and seems to have settled greatly due to some dietary changes. I'm not just going against what a doctor has said to me, in fact I'm actually doing what the said in terms of taking it only if necessary. It was my fault for not being clear though in the initial post.

Fishmanpa
27-05-15, 14:49
I take Pantoprazole and have for a year now. Prior to that I was taking a Zantac 150 2x a day and eating Tums like candy. I haven't had an issue since. My wife takes Omeprazole. It took a good two weeks before her stomach issues began to wane.

Positive thoughts

KayeS
27-05-15, 15:08
I think I'm going to start the Lansoprazole tomorrow and hopefully my issues are due to acid... I'm genuinely not in a panic or anything over this, I just kinda want it to stop :/

Dazza123
27-05-15, 15:27
I am pretty sure you shouldn't stop and start it actually, because if I forget to take mine the acid comes back with a vengeance, its like the flood gates open and fill me with the stuff so id double check the take as you need method.

Zantac, Gaviscon etc is take as you need and they are a great help, but PPI's are generally taken for short periods, or forever depending on the issue they are being used for :)

Help1989
27-05-15, 17:39
Omeprazole/lanzoprazole work by basically shutting the acid off from your stomach. I think taking them regularly is more effective than just when you feel the acid... You've already got it at that point so it's better to use them as more of a preventative measure. Feel better soon :)

Dazza123
27-05-15, 18:08
That's just it, its a preventative, not a reducer of symptoms, so to prevent the issue you take it. To treat symptoms of acid you use Gaviscon, Zantac etc, the Prazole group of meds are definitely not a take as you need medication, ie if you have acid in the morning you dont take one of them, you'd use gaviscon or zantac to reduce the acid, whereas if you take a PPI in the morning it should prevent any acid attacks as your stomach will be told to make and release less acid :)

pulisa
27-05-15, 20:44
You're normally advised to take a full 4 week course of the PPI to heal the oesophagus and control the acid then if there is no improvement you go back to the GP for another assessment for a different PPI or maybe an endoscopy or just another diagnosis (anxiety/ costochondritis)

Dazza, has a Nissen's Fundoplication been suggested to you?

Dazza123
27-05-15, 21:14
Hi Pulisa,

No, nothing has ever been suggested, and as stated I have suffered for 12 years. I currently have 4 items on repeat prescription for my stomach, which are the Esomeprazole (Nexium) Soluable Ranitidine, Gaviscon and metaclopromide. You'd think at this stage some type of permanent solution would have been found wouldn't you. I have flare ups which last for weeks at a time where I will have permanent chest and stomach pain, which as you can imagine send the anxiety sky rocketing, so it would be so nice to actually get it sorted once and for all. I imagine it would relieve a lot of my anxiety also.

I will google that and see if I can chat to the Doc about it next time I see her :)

Ohh I just watched that operation on youtube, its not pretty is it, and neither are the scars. Plus there seems to be associated problems with it possibly, and the chance that it may not help at all :( I think a long chat with them at the endoscopy is whats required here so I will do that when I get the chance.

pulisa
28-05-15, 08:38
My son was born with no oesophagus so I know quite a lot about that area!
I would have thought having a Nissen's would be at least offered to you after 12 years of chronic reflux? You must be exhausted from all the pain and stress involved?