PDA

View Full Version : I need to go to the shop but i cant!!

char123
28-05-15, 09:31
Hi,

To be honest I don't even know if this is anxiety. I have always hated the idea of going to the shop by myself. Even if it is down the road, I hate it it makes my heart beat faster and feel sick I don't even know why but it's the idea of being alone and having to cross the road by myself and going to the till. And another reason is'what if I see someone there that I know'. It sounds so stupid but I seriously can't go to the shop on my own.

My mum asked me if I can go to get some bread and milk and I really need to go but I'm so nervous. I probably Will talk myself out of it and make my sister go instead. What is wrong with me?? I need to be able to do this, I'm going to college next year which means I need to get the bus by myself.

I don't know what to do. I know I should go and I'll probably feel better but I'm scared. I'm making it seem awful in my mind, I know, but it's the whole crossing the road , having to find the food, going up to the till, having to carry the bag home that's making me nervous. I don't know if it's because I'm afraid someone might see me?!

I've always been like this and I wish my parents would have made me go out of my comfort zone years ago. It's so stupid. The odd thing is though is that I could go to the shop if I was at my grandmas (which is far away from where I live) so I don't know whether it is because of the fact that I might see people I know. Ugh I need to get over it. Also , I'm so awkward like usually at a till I mishear the person and have to say 'what ' 5 times or do something stupid. I know if I'm with my friends I can laugh about that but on my own I just look silly.

Can you please reply. I really need advice and help I think wue quickly! By the way I'm a 16 year old female,

Thankyou :)

Scase82
28-05-15, 10:14
Hi

I know exactly how you feel, I get this all the time. I'm much better if I am somewhere far away like on holiday I think that's because I'm not so worried if I have a panic attack or make a fool out of myself because I will probably never have to go there or see any of those people again.

Is it your thinking before going that's worse than when you are actually out the door and start going? Could you go with your sister? Have you spoken to her about it? Maybe she could walk with you and wait outside the shop? If you do manage to do it by yourself you will feel such a sense of a achievement after.

I have my fingers crossed for you that you do go.

xxx

Davit
28-05-15, 19:46
Agoraphobia is a fear of not having control. It has a simple cure. The opposite of what you are doing. The only way to do something you have to is to want to. You don't want to. If you don't start wanting to you will get worse.
Read the thread "words" It tells you why. (panic forum)