PDA

View Full Version : Need help! Mandatory work BBQ - my stress levels are insane!

SerenaHeart
28-05-15, 16:07
Hello,

I have had GAD, agoraphobia with panic disorder, and major depression my whole life. I cope pretty well with a stint of therapy every couple years, but sometimes it flares up and I am in a constant state of stress right now.

There is a mandatory work BBQ in a huge park with team yard games. I simply cannot do this right now, so I'm in the process of getting a doctor's note.

I have texted my boss, but she still hasn't replied. I disclosed that I have a disability when applying, but they never asked for details.

How do I proceed with this? I have never held a job this long and had to be open about having a disability.

wubu
28-05-15, 17:55
Are you being paid to attend in work hours? If it's outside of work just tell them youve got plans.

SerenaHeart
28-05-15, 18:51
Yes, it is a mandatory, during work hours event. I got a doctor's note and have since talked to my boss. She said we will chat about it next week, and said I was excused from today's activities.

The BBQ is 4 hours, then we get 4 hours paid off, so it's basically a free day.

I am more concerned about how to handle this whole "disability" thing, as, like I said, I've never approached it in any job I've had.