PDA

View Full Version : White coated tongue

JustJoe25
28-05-15, 19:12
Does anyone else get this? Does it come from GERD? I've been getting it for about a month now. Usually I can brush it away but lately it doesn't fully go away. It's not my whole tongue or anything but it is annoying. I have GERD along with allergies and I have always gotten a dry mouth/tongue but the white coating is new. Anyone else get this and anyone know of ways to get rid of it besides brushing and mouthwash which I've been using.

worrywart29
28-05-15, 19:16
I had this happen before I was told to gargle with a mixture of apple cider vinegar and water. After one use it went away.

Dazza123
28-05-15, 21:58
If you have GERD ( I do) ACV can burn the tongue a little so you have to be careful. I have a bottle of it and don't really use it as it also causes severe pain in my stomach not long after use.

I get a white coated tongue often, I think it might be the tongue protecting itself from the acid, as when I have flare ups thats when my tongue gets a bit of a coating.

JustJoe25
29-05-15, 02:01
Thanks for the advice. I do have GERD so is there any other remedies aside from ACV?

Dazza123
29-05-15, 07:06
Do you take any prescribed medications Joe?

Nexium/Omeprazole are good at preventing symptoms, Zantac/Gaviscon are good for treating symptoms.

ACV is touted as being a miracle cure for most things these days on the internet, but in my opinion it does very little to help.

MyNameIsTerry
29-05-15, 07:17
If you try ACV, remember to use a straw too as it will damage your teeth.

You can get a white tongue without having GERD. I've had it before my anxiety disorders started when I was pretty stressed.

Dazza123
29-05-15, 07:48
Lots cause it, but I do notice it more when I have bad acid.

The dry mouth will also cause it.

I once had black spots, and patches on my tongue for months, very distressing, had loads of tests, swabs, and nothing was ever found. The docs put it down to bacteria from the stomach acid rising into my throat/mouth and colonising on my tongue, pretty gross, and sent my anxiety through the roof, but turned out to be nothing.

Im not surprised some of us are nervous wrecks at times!! :wacko:

MyNameIsTerry
29-05-15, 07:54
Well its going back some years for me Dazza, and I wouldn't be surprised if my acid was playing up at the same time with me being very stressed at the time. You know more about that stuff by a massive margin than me mate.

I can remember having saw spots on my tongue back then and even sudden very saw throats. For me, it was all stress and came back a couple of times when things got too much. This ws years before my anxiety meltdown though.

My brother used to get it too when he was working very long hours in his physical jobs.

I didn't know until I started looking into probiotics that we even have healthy bacteria in our mouths as I always thought it was the gut.

I've found I would get bouts of oral thrush too when really stressed.

Thats the funny thing about anxiety, you tend to end up with lots of minor irritations along the way that just make you feel worse.

Healthy body, healthy mind, eh!

Dazza123
29-05-15, 08:31
I use probiotics, the 0% fat one is what I buy, the others are too much like liquid yogurt and Im not a fan of that. I get thrush as well, Nystin sorts it out luckily, and tastes quite nice :D I get lots of tongue problems but thats diabetes and b12 issues - yes lots of minor irritations just to add in to the pot, its a pain in the ar*e!!

MyNameIsTerry
29-05-15, 09:07
Do you use the supplement capsules types then, Dazza? I eat yoghurt daily & knock an Actimel back after it but I've been looking into adding something stronger so I was going to start making my own.

Dazza123
29-05-15, 09:18
I use actimel, and yakult (I love yakult) and I do have some probiotic tablets which are pretty strong, I cant remember the name of them, but they do all seem to help.

Because of the GERD, in the past it could cause an upset tummy, because of all the acid going through the system, but somehow probiotics prevent this and keep my stomach healthy.

MyNameIsTerry
29-05-15, 10:02
Aw man, I picked up some of that Yakult Light and it was like medicine! I've had the normal before and it was fine.

Probiotics start in the mouth and end at the other hole :D. Some like you get in Actimel, the L.Casei ones tend to create a favourable environment for the rest to grow.

I've found they help my digestion and I don't have the issues you do. They can also influence the brain as some studies are starting to show so they are worth it.

I know people, including on here, who have taken antibiotics and then ended up with anxiety disorders and thats with the meds killing the good bacteria so they must be very important to us lot.

The BioKult seem quite popular. I'm got most of my supplies to start making water kefir (ongoing fermentation) and that supplied 1 trillion in each batch you drink so it works out a lot cheaper than buying them. With them being a culture, as long as you treat them properly they just keep growing!

JustJoe25
29-05-15, 17:45
I don't take any medication at all for anxiety or GERD. I only take a multi vitamin, vitamin d, and fish oil daily. I do get a dry mouth quite often but have started using a dry mouth rinse. I've also been eating yogurt the last few days. I should mention the white costing doesn't hurt at all or anything. My mom has it as well and hers is painful. Mine is just more of an annoyance knowing it's there especially since the internet mentions all the sinister things it could be from when I googled home remedies for it. Had no idea anxiety can cause it but it makes sense because when we are anxious our mouths get dry easily.

worrywart29
30-05-15, 06:37
Thanks for the advice. I do have GERD so is there any other remedies aside from ACV?

I mentioned the acv with WATER mixture because the water dilute the acv and you use it as a mouthwash and spit it out simply to clean your tongue. I have acid reflux too and it has never bothered me unless I drink it.

Cusper
01-06-15, 05:18
look up candida.

JustJoe25
09-06-15, 19:31
I looked up candida and it has me worried even though I think it's pretty common lol. I've had liver fears for months now and this isn't helping any even though others mentioned GERD and anxiety causing it. Does anyone know where to get the raw apple cider vinegar? I've looked at my local supermarket and Walgreens neither have it.

Cusper
10-06-15, 04:03
You can get it from a health food store. Braggs is good.

JustJoe25
10-06-15, 17:54
You can get it from a health food store. Braggs is good.

I don't think we have a bragged here. Do you think the GNC would have it?

JustJoe25
16-06-15, 21:51
Okay guys finally got around to getting the ACV it's organic with the mother and I got the GNC brand. I did the oral rinse some this afternoon and followed it up by brushing my teeth. I used a cup of warm water and a tbsp of AVC. Hasn't fully cleared up the thrush though but I know it may take a few times. Any suggestions how many times a day I should do it? Would you suggest drinking it as well with water? I read that if you have candida that its can be living in the stomach so that drinking it helps cure it. I also read I should avoid carbs and sugar which is easier said than done lol. Any suggestions or advice from those who used it in the past?