PDA

View Full Version : Dry throat, Excess phlegm at back of throat, burping

Lilly13
28-05-15, 23:04
Hi guys,

I have been having some weird symptoms lately... I was hoping others could tell me if they have ever experienced them.

Firstly, my throat constantly feels dry lately... like I need water, if I don't drink water I feel like I can't talk properly... its been really scaring me because I have a fear of ALS as everyone knows. Voice horeness is of coarse symptom... *SIGH*

Excess phlegm, this mainly happens after I have eaten something fattening, like cheese, or mcdonalds. Feels like I need to clear my throat or need to spit up phlegm or grease!! Could be related to the neuro nasty as well. After I eat, I also burp which I never used to do... and I feel like my food is going to come up... like a heart burn like feeling but in my throat.

My throat also feels very tight lately...

Hoping for reassurance, Thank you guys so much I love you all

xx
:flowers::bighug1::hugs:

Sophie1
29-05-15, 11:01
ALS usually causes slurred speech and loss of tounge movements in bulbar onset, but bulbar onset in itself is extremely rare - even more rare than the limb onset of ALS. Also ALS usually causes people to think they have had some form of Stroke instead, therefore people do not go to the doctors and ask if they have ALS, especially bulbar onset.

I have trouble swallowing caused by anxiety and I also have excess phlegm so it is completely normal to have and nothing to worry about! Your symptoms sound like anxiety or potentially a throat infection or possibly acid reflux, but acid reflux in itself is highly unlikely, so I don't think you have anything to worry about, but you could always go to the doctor for reassurance and have your throat looked at.

Emilym80
29-05-15, 11:33
Hi there Lilly,

This sounds exactly like acid reflux :) I've just seen my doctor about it and have been given some meds for it to try and calm it down. With reflux, I get ALL of those things (and many more... yay). Reflux can have a lot of different and unusual symptoms, which you might not necessarily associate with a stomach complaint, but there you are.

Think about it- why would ALS make you cough up phlegm after you eat something fatty? Reflux certainly does, as well as burping, etc. It can also make your oesophagus spasm, so your throat will be tight and feel constricted.

I'd see your gp about this, not because it's dangerous, but it's not something you want to leave untreated for ages and ages; the earlier you get onto it, the easier it is to make it stop altogether.

In the meantime, stop eating the food that's been triggering it and see if it helps. When it happens, drink a glass of ice cold water and see if that helps.

Let us know how you get on if you end up getting it looked at, but it sounds exactly like reflux.

Best :flowers:

Lilly13
29-05-15, 13:17
Hi Emily,

sometimes I feel like an old person, carpel tunnel, TMJ and now acid reflux? haha ohhh dear!
but that would make allot of sense based on the weird throat sensations, the tightness you describe is exactly how I was feeling! I also drink things that I shouldn't eg. coffee and wine hmmfff, how can I live without coffee?

I was really worried about the phlegm just because some dude on a BFS site got diagnosed with with the big nasty *** ! He sited feeling of excess phlegm particularly after eating as a symptom... scary. However, he also had other symptoms. However, I think I will call the doctors office early today and make an appointment, a diagnosis of acid reflex and some meds to fix it would make me feel better. My dad has it, he also has OCD and anxiety.. I seem to inherit all of his bodily issues hahah. Stress can do real things to your body I guess.

Sophie thank you for your reply, I can perceive slurring of speech but no one has pointed it out so that is probably a good sign. I also read excess salvia is a symptom and yesterday I was kissing my boyfriend and it felt slobbery, hahha I of coarse thought it was me having excess saliva = ALS. WOW this fear SUCKS.

Does anyone can twitching lips? it is my new hot spot... so irritating.

Emilym80
29-05-15, 13:23
Hey Lilly,

Alcohol and caffeine are major reflux triggers! You'll have to do your best to stay away from them for the moment.

With all respect to the gentleman you mentioned, I think the phlegm thing would be either excess production of saliva or a coincidence. I've had phlegm after eating for years. Incidentally, reflux can also cause excess saliva production.

Let us know what your doctor says- take care.

---------- Post added at 12:23 ---------- Previous post was at 12:22 ----------

Also- how'd you see that post in the first place? Stop reading about ALS on boards/forums etc if you still are! It'll help you out a lot, I think :)

And my lips twitch a lot

Sophie1
29-05-15, 13:34
I think saliva is one of the later symptoms of ALS rather than the onset and most people who get this rare illness are 60+

MyNameIsTerry
29-05-15, 16:21
Hopefully Dazza123 will spot your post as the title is a GERD sounding one.

If its any help, I have asthma and I've had excess throat mucus for around 20+ years now from it. I'm still here though. I'm not saying that you have asthma though, its just an example to rationalise with.

The fact it is happening with higher fat foods like you mention is sounding very much like an acid issue. Add the burping and it sounds even more likely.

I reckon Dazza will be able to tell you more as he's had all that for a while.