PDA

View Full Version : Emotiphobia hell!!!!!

Nataliaxo
28-05-15, 23:18
Hi guys, I suffer from the phobia "emotiphobia" I am terrified of the thought of being sick or watching/hearing someone else be sick. I also have anxiety and for the past 24 hours I have had the worst nausea symptoms ever😔 people keep reassuring me it's just all in my head, but when you suffer from this phobia you don't believe anyone. I keep thinking any minute I'm going to be sick "this is it it's going to happen" then I panic. I also suffer from acid reflux/heartburn which again does not help one bit! I keep telling myself it is just acid reflux I'm suffering with. I also have a tiny idea/feeling it could all be in my head as before my mum went off to work I was sitting speaking to her & to be honest the nausea disappeared almost completely, so it's making me think that obviously me overthinking of feeling sick isn't helping! & for some reason my mind just wants me to suffer!!:( I can't seem to get it out my head.

its really beginning to ruin my life & everyday I'm constantly nervous incase it is the day I am going to be sick.

I NEED HELP! 😔😔😔😔😔😔

pessimisticpanicker
29-05-15, 01:09
Hi I used to suffer very bad from emetophobia I still do a little but not as bad do you mind me asking how long you've had this phobia and when is the last time you were sick? X

nomorepanic
02-06-15, 23:05
Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your problem.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

dreambeliever
08-07-15, 06:23
Hello :) I know exactly what you are going through. I also suffer from emetophobia, alongside other anxiety problems. Don't worry you are not alone.

I found out I had emetophobia when I was 14. I would wake up in the middle of the night with a bit of a stomach upset (most likely caused from hormonal shifts), this would trigger a full blown panic attack and escalate the stomach upset into the worst possible nausea that lasted for hours. I didn't actually understand what was going on, and my mom couldn't figure out why I was up in the middle of the night shaking on the bathroom floor. But when we did figure out what was happening, I went to go see a councellor and this did help. I still have pretty bad emetophobia, I had a bout of nausea last week that lasted for 3 hours and triggered a panic attack. I got through it, it wasn't easy, but I completely understand the pain and struggle you are going through.

Are you afraid of catching a stomach bug? The reason I ask this, is because this is what terrifies me. The reality is though, is that stomach viruses are really not that common. Most of the time people pick them up in public washrooms, and this is mostly attributed to not washing your hands. Some people go for 10+ years without having a stomach virus, for example my sister hasn't had one for 13 years.

Anxiety can actually cause nausea, and this is what I'm beginning to learn about my 'nausea episodes'. Once you reduce the anxiety, the nausea will subside. Here are some things that help me when I'm having a nausea episode:

- Dimenhydrinate (Gravol in Canada) - you can by over the counter, does cause drowsiness
- Gravol Ginger (I carry a package of these in my purse, they don't cause drowsiness unlike the Dimenhydrinate)
- Peppermints (peppermint helps nausea)
- Ginger tea (ginger also helps nausea)
- Ginger ale
- Sugar water (sometimes nausea can be the cause of low blood sugar)
- Lemon water
- Cold compress (like an ice pack) on the back of the neck

I know that all of these things cannot take away the fear of being sick, but they can help reduce the nausea, because it sounds to me like you are having nausea caused by anxiety.

By reading your post I can say I am 99.9% certain that you are not suffering from a stomach illness and that you will not throw up. I know this, because I've been in the exact place you are in, many many times.

I should also add that nausea caused from a stomach virus is a different type of feeling, in my experience it comes sudden and there is no doubt that you will be sick, you just know that you will be sick. In my experience, I had a bad stomach virus in 2012 - it was a different type of nausea feeling, my body knew what to do, and it wasn't as scary as I thought it would be.

Just because you have nausea though, doesn't mean you will be sick from it. Our bodies are delicate and our brains are smart, nausea can 100% be caused from anxiety. If you can you should go talk to your doctor, and explain your situation. There's lots of help available for those suffering from emetophobia.

:)

EbonyNightfall
13-07-15, 07:17
Hi :)

I have emetophobia and stomach problems too so I know, especially when you're having a bad episode of acid reflux or nausea, how absolutely terrifying it can feel. It really can feel like it's never going to end. But nothing lasts forever. We're very lucky in this day and age to have the resources and knowledge to help ourselves and to help our minds and bodies heal.
The digestive system and anxiety are intricately linked in a complex chain of chemical reactions. I think the more you worry about your physical symptoms the more anxious and panicky you'll feel, which in turn will make you feel more nauseous. It can be a really vicious circle to break. I don't know if you already know, but when the body is under stress, or goes into fight or flight mode during anxiety and panic, digestion slows down and acid production for some people increases. Also, for some people, stress and anxiety temporarily weaken the muscles of the lower eosophagal sphincter, exacerbating acid reflux in those already suffering from it. So I definitely think anxiety will be making your nausea worse, and is keeping the cycle going.
Acid reflux can give you dreadful nausea, so maybe if you can alleviate it you'll feel physically better, and calmer too. Are you taking any medication for it?
I've found Metaclopramide to be excellent for relieving nausea and for helping food move through the stomach faster, so good for acid reflux, too.

Dreambeliever's advice and suggestions are excellent :)
I personally also find crystallised ginger, either on its own or in cookies, really helpful for nausea and reflux.
Herbal teas can be very good too; Pukka and Twinings make good quality ranges, some of which are specifically blended (with eg peppermint, liquorice root, fennel and ginger) to help*soothe and heal*the digestive system.
I also take good quality aloe vera juice daily, and green tea with manuka honey to soothe and heal my digestive system during flare ups.
Probiotics are fantastic in aiding digestion, alleviating IBS, and boosting the immune system.
Also, eating little often, rather than large meals in one sitting, helps keep blood sugar levels stable and keeps excess stomach acid at bay, which may help alleviate your nausea.
Also, it might be worth considering whether you have a food/chemical intolerance or sensitivity.

I hope you're feeling much better now and hope I'm not coming across as if I'm lecturing!

Best wishes,
Louise