PDA

View Full Version : Post Break Up anxiety/panic

rosiel
29-05-15, 12:28
Hi all!
9 days post break up with a wonderful man I was with for 2 years- we broke up simply because the spark had gone and we were simply just best friends. It was a lovely break up and we are committed to remain friends (after a few months no contact) but it really shattered my heart- mainly because I lost my best friend and confidant at the same time as my boyfriend!
I know break ups always suck, but I've really been suffering from heightened anxiety and panic building up in my chest and grieving me with awful IBS. My escitalopram are pretty much sugar pills at the moment with all this anxiety- hand in hand with University finals exams and it's not a great time for me!
Any tips to ease the constant thinking of him (and dreaming which sucks!), anxiety and how to focus on my revision?
Hope you're all doing well today!

Rosie :blush:

bruiseviolet
29-05-15, 12:54
Hi Rosie,

Really sorry for what you must be going through. Break-ups really suck. *Virtual Hugs*

I'm in the middle of uni exams too. Things like this can totally throw you off your game, I understand that you must be feeling really stressed out and anxious. I'm like that with uni work anyway without having to deal with the ending of a long term relationship.

If I'm having a tough time focusing, I usually push myself to go to the uni library. If you are at home, it is full of distractions and there is an endless pile of laundry, or cleaning or Facebook to browse. Procrastination makes your mind wander and, for me, leads to even more anxiety at all the work that hadn't been done. It all starts to spiral downwards from there.

Put it this way, if you put in 4 hours of solid work, you'll feel less guilty and you'll have put a dent in the work / revision you need to do. Plus that's 4 hours that you won't be thinking about him.

If I were you, I'd throw myself in and try to distract myself by being productive. That's what I'm trying to do at the moment, I'm going into the office on my days off because I can't focus at home and I tend to do a lot better in a "work" environment.

I hope this helps - I'm sure you'll smash the exam, good luck!

Sam123
29-05-15, 13:44
Hi Rosie,

I understand what you're feeling. It's a very hard time for you and your emotions will be all over, it's natural to think of him like you said he was your best friend and a big part of your life has changed now, change can be very hard. Sometimes we can get confused with missing the person(wanting to be with them) or just missing the memories.

You will get through it as hard as it may seem, don't be too rough on yourself either, allow yourself to feel emotions. Basically you are grieving for what you had and it will understandably take time,

Take care :hugs: