PDA

View Full Version : What can you do when you feel very mentally unstable?

Stuckman
30-05-15, 16:02
At the moment I feel like I'm very mentally unstable and feel like I will do something stupid but don't know exactly what. I'm diagnosed with autism on the mild side of the spectrum and have had ongoing support from counselling at university and recently I have felt extremely stressed with my position currently in life surrounding living at home with family and independence surrounding young adulthood. I feel like my anger is starting to get out of control too, and feel like I have to do out the ordinary things like pacing around feeling like I have no control on what I do, and when I go out in public I'm worried I'll do something reckless on purpose.
I went to see my GP and they said for me to find something to do over the summer like a job and they referred me to a phycologist which will take months to see. Should I see my GP again? At the moment I feel like I wouldn't be able to have a job and have never had one. I just feel so seriously unstable mentally and its a new kind of feeling which has developed in recent weeks. I just don't know where to turn for advice because I always feel disappointed after leaving appointments talking about mental health to my GP, and I've got 4 months of the summer break to cope with before my course starts again.

Is there anything I can say to my GP for more help? My diagnosis has affected my academic work and concentration and now that the summer break is approaching I feel like I'm losing control of my actions knowing I will have to be at home for 4 months which I find a very stressful place to live and feel like I don't have a home.

I'd be grateful for any advice.
Thank you

Davit
30-05-15, 16:56
To what extent is your autism., I'm mildly so and it is a two edged sword. I see different and can hold a lot of information in my head, I can see whole pictures when I build things and see three dimensionally. I can visualize the back side of things. That is the good part. The bad part is talking to people because I expect them to know what I'm talking about and they don't. I have different principles too.

If you are like me you need a job where you can just do it and not have to interact with others. Or you could volunteer. There is no commitment there and less pressure. It would be a start to working up to getting a job. It would give you some confidence. And it would get you out.