PDA

View Full Version : exercise to reduce anxiety?

amber1973
31-05-15, 10:15
I've just joined the gym and am going today for my first session and on my own, I'm so scared in case I can't do much or have a heart attack! I'm overweight by 2 stone but am quite active, have a horse, run round after my toddler.

I'm hoping that exercise will make me feel better and reduce anxiety, anyone found this works????

If so what exercise do you do.

Liv7117
31-05-15, 13:12
Hi, I find that exercise really helps to reduce my anxiety. I run a lot and afterwards I feel so much happier and relaxed, probably because running releases endorphins. I think going to a gym will really help with your anxiety! :)

Fishmanpa
31-05-15, 18:13
As much as I'm of the strong opinion that anxiety and alcohol don't mix, I'm equally as of the strong opinion that exercise is an excellent way to reduce stress and anxiety. Above and beyond the obvious benefits, it helps you to mentally focus and burn off excess stress.

Positive thoughts

MyNameIsTerry
01-06-15, 04:39
You should have an assessment by a PT first. They will give you some tips on what to try and show you around. There will also be gym instructors on hand who are there to help you within your gym fees (PT's might be being paid by clients at certain points in their day).

You can also be referred by your GP to a gym for so many free sessions under the GP Exercise Referral Scheme. With this you have someone to guide you through rehabilitation. Whilst they tend to show it for more physical issues or post ops, if you look at private PT's websites you will see they mention they do it for anxiety & depression too. These PT's hold a higher level qualification for rehabilitation purposes.

Exercise will help. Its proven to regulate hormones and your sleep. Regular exercises sleep deeper in studies.

If you are prone to worry about your heart rate or body heat, I suggest you start small because this will be a likely exposure exercise for you. Its worth it though on so many fronts and it will boost your self confidence & self esteem which take massive batterings from anxiety.

ohwell123
03-06-15, 21:16
don't know your stats but as long as your just your average jo you should be looking to sweat ie bursts of cardio excersise 30 mins total

I noticed within 2 weeks my mind chatter faded a lot/ anxiety symptoms were still there but hoping they will go in time

I read these people who say walking gets rid of anxiety its the biggest load of tat ive ever heard you need to get a sweat on and walk on your off days

MyNameIsTerry
04-06-15, 01:18
Walking at a faster pace does help with symptoms more.

Walking doesn't always help but it can and it's better than sitting around. It can help a bit with sleep too.

You can also use it as a Behavioural Experiment to see how you cope with sensations.