PDA

View Full Version : Is General Anxiety a life long thing we have to manage?

1irishninja
31-05-15, 17:03
Hi all, I was on this site many years ago but forgot all my log in details. Basically I have suffered GAD since my teens (35 now) and even though I would class myself as 80% recovered it still makes an appearance now and again.

I can live my life pretty much anxiety free if I live within my comfort zone but step outside that and it does come back, panic attacks and all and they never seem to get any less scary.

We recently went on a short break to the coast, We never go on breaks as it sets my anxiety off. We had been for some 7-8 years previously. I was looking forward to it up until the day before when my stomach started churning and I was trotting to the loo constantly, I knew what was happening, the old anxiety was making an appearance. And it did and I did not enjoy myself one bit and was glad to get back home when after 2 days of panic it disappeared again.

So whats your thoughts on this? Is this going to be a life long illness?

Davit
31-05-15, 17:09
Only if you want it to be. Information, determination and a change of thinking can change that.

rcs
31-05-15, 22:41
Yes I think so in one form or another and the symptoms can change over the years and when you cope with it you think your anxiety, depression , OCD etc are finally under control something happens to remind you to be mindful.

I am 46 and looking back I had GAD symptoms in my teens and in my 20s and went to the Doctor who tried to help me and then next a GP locum told me it was all nonsense took me off medication (obviously old school). The first symptoms were anxiety, insomnia, tics and hand trembling.
I have had mental issues throughout the years but was only really started getting treatment at 39 when I was diagnosed with GAD Social anxiety and OCD I had a meltdown at work which I had worked my way up for 12 years and it all got too much.

It is a condition that I am learning to live with and work out the boundaries especially for work as I have been unemployed on and off for 3 years, watch out for my fight or flight reactions such as aggressive behaviour when stressed and stop avoiding situations I do not like because that's what really holds me back!

I am only speaking for myself and I am aware of authors and therapists who claim you can cure this condition which is what I thought I could do, but I am learning to accept my anxieties and other symptoms and let them pass instead of fighting them daily and I personally think it will be a lifelong education.

CBT Counselling worked for me but was a long process for me to accept things and I try to avoid alcohol and smoking (unsuccessfully sometimes) but luckily I enjoy exercising, reading and other interests. I try to keep things simple in my life as long as I look after my health and keep up my positive attitude to have some sort of success in the future..

Bob :winks:

40mg Citalopram
10mg Propanol

Davit
01-06-15, 02:44
Coping is fine if it allows you to function in such a way as you have to but you have noticed the limitations. Coping is the second step in a five step program. The third step and the hard one is core beliefs. This is where you examine the reasons you do things, both good and bad ones. The fourth step is where you change your thought patterns so there is no reason for anxiety or panic. The fifth is where you put it all together and into practice. This is recovery and is attainable. It took me about a year.

MyNameIsTerry
01-06-15, 05:30
GAD is definately a long term disorder as it can seep into so many other symptoms and make you think you have all sorts of other anxiety disorders. Its also very hard to pin down triggers as a lot ofr the time, simply being aalive & awake seems to be the trigger!

But, people are cured. People fully recovery. There is too much evidence out there to believe otherwise. The only question as ever is whether YOU will recover.

I don't believe we are destined to be like this. My GAD came in my thirties and before that I was just another happy person going through life. I wasn't born this way so I don't have to die this way!

Its only a question of finding your way out of the maze with the right treatments to suit you.