PDA

View Full Version : Damn Lloyds Pharmacy!!!

ksmith
27-01-07, 20:56
Well ... saw the advert for the £10.00 Blood Pressure monitor from Lloyds chemist and off I went to buy one. Perhaps not a good idea for someone who suffers from H A because ever since I have kept taking my BP and pulse and don't really understand the results. I've got sore upper arms from the tightness of the cuff! I also notice that each arm gives a different reading. It's not helping my health anxiety as I'm more confused than ever as to whether I've got hypertension or not!

I would be really grateful if we have any medical bods (eg nurses) or anyone else in the know, on the site who could tell me what my BP and pulse should be and what sort of reading would indicate you need medical attention? I'm mid forties and over weight by the way.

Thanks

Kayx

normalwisdom
27-01-07, 21:17
I can't answer your question but.......get rid!:(LOL. As you say it wasn't a good idea for someone with HA to buy this machine.

I don't have it myself but I do think it was a bad idea.

Steph

toto
27-01-07, 22:19
You should only do it once or twice a day and it will ALWAYS be different each time. Don't keep doing it repeatedly as the cuff WILL make your arm sore as it gets quite tight...it has to to work properly.
A 'bog standard' text book pressure is 120/80. The first pressure is when your heart has just beaten so it indicates how hard your heart is working and the 2nd pressure is when your heart is resting so it shows if your heart is working too much.

BUT... blood pressure varies a LOT depending on a LOT of different factors...such as heat,stress, weight, exercise, anxiety, and, and...etc..the list goes on.
My advice is to bin it. Just look at the anxiety it has given you already. Making sense of the readings is best left to people who deal with this all day and every day because they know what they are looking at and for.

And they will NEVER just go on one reading alone. They will look at at least 3 readings over a period of months.

These readings you have been seeing today are totally meaningless....even knowing that 120/80 is a textbook reading because it varies so much.

Honestly, if you have HA...throw it away.And if you have concerns, see your doctor, nurse or pharmacist.
xx

Toto

nomorepanic
27-01-07, 23:17
Try these Kay

Blood pressure
High Blood Pressure caused by P.a's (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3033)
Low Blood Pressure (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4021)
High blood pressure (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4145)
Blood Pressure Wrist Monitor (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3023)
Blood pressure (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5808)
Blood Pressure Monitoring at Home (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4218)
Went To The Dr For A Follow Up (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6426)

Nicola

People will forget what you said
People will forget what you did
But people will never forget how you made them feel

belle
27-01-07, 23:19
120/80 IS text book, however mine varies. My mother has a BP monitor because she does have HIGH BP, but on the couple of occassions i've taken mine, its gone from 110/60 to 130/85. Your pulse can be anything from 60 - 90. Mine generally sits around 72, but again - it depends on the time of day, what you've been doing, are you stressed, tired, restless, hungry, have you eaten....many things effect it.

Seriously, i agree with Steph....ditch it! It will only make you feel worse, causing a reading to be erratic.

Sarah

Rennie1989
27-01-07, 23:20
Gosh I knew I should have paid attention in PE now! Lol, I would like to know what is an average pulse rate myself.

I would assume that people's blood pressure is different depending on ones life style. For my example my mum is an orthaedepic and trauma matron and her job is extremely stressful so her blood pressure is higher then somebody who has a relaxed job like beauty therapy.

When pharmacists sell these kits like taking your blood pressure and checking your glucose is a bad idea. They should be prescribed to those who have conditions (I think diabetics are given kits to check their glucose at home) otherwise some happy chap is going to take his blood pressure and then get worried because he doesn't understand the reading or the reading is incorrect ... it can be disturbing for people like that.

Like the others say, bin it! Or give it back and get your £10 back if you can.

"My teddy last night was a paper bag, to keep my safe."

seeker
27-01-07, 23:53
Also, it is different on different arms, becasue the blood is pumped from your heart to your left arm first, so it will be higher in the left arm than the right (I think that is the right way round!). It should only be done on the left arm, I think. As everyoe else says, your blood pressure can vary wildly. If you are going to use it to monitor, try and do it at the same time every day - ie on waking or before you go to sleep. don't do it too often or you will end up with a very sore arm!!

Sax
28-01-07, 06:51
kay, my advice is much the same as others, get rid of it. Constanty taking your blood pressure will only worry you more, if you want your blood pressure checked go to the dr who can discuss the result with you and reassure you rather than have you trying to self diagnose.

You pulse is going to vary drastically throughout day and will obviously increase with your anxiety, this is nothing to worry about and is perfectly normal. Again try not to keep taking it, there really isn't any point.

jo61
28-01-07, 09:47
I agree. Your BP fluctuates hugely depending on where you are, what you've been doing, what you've eaten etc. Any time my GP takes my BP it's around 120/80 and when my psychiatrist took it last year it was 110/60 as I was more relaxed. Get rid of the monitor would be my advice. You don't need to be worrying yourself.

Love Jo x

Wilburis
28-01-07, 22:44
Hi

I know what youre going through, Ive bought one as well!!!!

My readings are up and down all the time, making me more anxious!!!

I try not to be tempted by it anymore.

If you really want to use it why not go back to the Chemist and ask them how to use it properly. Ive been told by them you must make sure that the tube from the cuff is in the correct place.

Lloyds are generally pretty helpful and I know they will take your blood pressure for you. They can also check you for diabetes, free.

Even my midwife has got one and said that the best way to take blood pressure is wuth the old fashioned ones, where they pump the cuff up by hand.

Take care - Liz xx

Wilburis
28-01-07, 22:53
Forgot to mention, I had a bad experience with the monitor as well.

I got some skin trapped in the metal of the cuff, didnt realise until the cuff inflated. OH MY GOD, I thought I would pass out with pain!!!!!

I had a lovely inch long bruise for about 4 days!!!

Liz xx

ksmith
28-01-07, 23:34
Thanks everyone that replied. I don't think I can 'get rid' of the machine but I will try and put it in the cupboard!! I have learned a lot though reading the posts here and the links that Nic provided and so many of my questions have been answered.

My arms are too sore to play with it much more (lol) and Liz, that sounds really flippin painful!

Thanks all,

Kay x