PDA

View Full Version : 24 year old male; Need help with Neurological/Muscle/Joint symptoms

DiscountDouble
01-06-15, 06:22
Hey guys,

My name is Cory. I'm a 24 year old male from Texas, and for the past 7-8 months I've experienced some anxiety provoking symptoms. Like a lot of people here, I've allowed myself to fixate on them and consequently, I struggle to maintain a healthy level of inner peace. I know this is a long post, just know that I tried to be as brief and efficient as possible. I could really use some insight and, if possible, words of reassurance.

Joint Pain

I'll begin with the joint pain--even though this doesn't worry me anymore--just in case it's somehow related. About 2-3 years ago, I developed a constant pain in my knees. I thought it was just runner or jumper's knee, as I played a lot of basketball so I rested. 3 months went by and the pain persisted. About 6 months later, I was riding my bike when my elbow and wrist joints started to hurt so much that I had to turn back. 4 weeks later, the pain spread to just about every joint in my body (hips, neck, ribs, feet, toes, fingers, shoulders, etc.) Naturally, I freaked out, made an appointment with a rheumatologist. She ran blood tests, which came back normal, though she was concerned that my DNA tested positive for Ankylo Spondylitis so an MRI was done on my spine. By the time I went back in for the results two weeks later, all of my joint pain had subsided except for in my knees. The MRI was clean and the doctor concluded that it was likely some sort of bacterial infection.

For the next 8 months, life went back to being mostly normal. My knees had a constant ache, but I just attributed that to having "bad knees." Then the same joint pain came again, but differently. This time it was only in the fingers, toes, shoulders, and ankles. This was followed by another freak out and a second appointment with a different rheumatologist. After just hearing my symptoms, she decided to put me on NSAIDS and ordered some blood work. All that came from the blood work was elevated EOS levels. The doctor though I might have psoriatic arthritis (my grandmother has psoriasis, but I don't) or undifferentiated spondyloarthropathy so she ordered an MRI of my hands, feet, and knees to see if there was damage. I still haven't had the tests done for two reasons: 1) 4 weeks later I went into spontaneous remission again and 2) I was disillusioned with the care that I received from both rheumatologists. Admittedly, neither are particularly good reasons to not do my due diligence, and I'm sure that I do have some joint damage (I have what I believe to be a bone spur on the top of my knee that clicks when I bring my leg back in from extension). Also, the NSAIDs didn't seem to have an affect on my joint pain, but they did seem to cure the dry eyes I had the previous year and that was worsened when the joint pain came along (I used to use eye drops with my contacts every hour, now I use none).

As of now, these are the joint-related symptoms that I still suffer from:-Knee Pain (aggravatedby running and jumping but not by squats anymore)
-Shoulder Pain if I run for awhile or lift too heavy
-Finger or toe joint pain from activities that are hard on the hands
-Pinkies and one middle finger that clicks (the tendons?) when bringing back from extension (I don't say trigger finger because I've read this happens during extension)

Neurological/Muscle Symptoms

After a few months, the joint issues became like a program running in the background of your computer; sure they slowed me down a bit, but not enough that I really had to address or worry about them. Then, one day in October, I woke up severely tired, shaky, and feeling "odd" whenever I stood up (I felt uneasy, swayed back and forth). It was so dramatic that I again panicked. For the next few days, I slept constantly, only to wake up tired again and with more odd symptoms. I eventually developed random twitches throughout my body, body jerks, jaw pain (I have TMJ), a weird muscle spasm in my left cheek that would occur every time I moved that side, random numbness in the legs or hands (especially if they were crossed or laying on them), odd sensations, and muscle fatigue. After about 4 days, the extreme tiredness subsided, but the other symptoms remained, albeit sporadically. At this point, I made what is probably the biggest mistake anyone with a predisposition to anxiety can and googled my symptoms. What followed were results about Parkinson's, ALS, MS, and my profound anxiety. I made an appointment with my GP not long after. She asked some questions, found out that I was studying for the GRE to get into graduate school, and attributed my symptoms to stress. She did blood work on my thyroid and vitamin levels just to be safe, and everything was normal.
Having reassurance from a medical professional and someone I actually trusted, a lot of my symptoms seemed to disappear for the next two weeks.

After two weeks though, new symptoms came and my anxiety worsened. My forearms, calves, and face muscles all fatigued quickly; a painful tightness developed in my palms, forearms, and calves that was exacerbated by massaging the musclea; tingling in the hands and feet that occurred during cardio (if I was hit in any of these areas during a game of basketball, the muscle was immobilized for a few seconds); and excess saliva production all developed slowly. The facial muscle tightness and muscle twitching from before also continued. Convinced of impending death, I sought out a neurologist. He performed a strength and reflex test and found everything to be normal. He then scheduled me for a brain MRI, EMG of my right leg and arm, as well as a nerve conductivity test. All were perfectly normal. The doctor told me that, as far as he could tell, there was no NMD present and that I had him stumped. There was one more blood test he asked I have checked (Immunoserum fixation or something) that I never followed through with for reasons that, again, don't trump due diligence.

About 4 months have passed since my last visit with the neurologist. In that time, my symptoms seemed to have reached stabilization of sorts. As of now, my only neurological/muscular complaints are:

-Excess saliva production (no drooling, just an annoyance)
-My right cheek feels persistently tight (not sure if it's related to my TMJ on that side)
-After cardio or high intensity workouts the muscles involved will feel tight, painful, and easily cramp the next day; mostly, it's my palms, forearms, calves, and back, and this pain will subside after 3-4 days.
-Tingling in arms and feeling of swollen hands during basketball (seems related to palm pain that is present the next day).
-My grip is weaker in my right hand, specifically in the pinky area. Something in the hand and behind the knuckle pops when I make a fist and interferes with weight lifting weights, albeit minimally.
-Shakiness in hands when holding them out, or drinking from a cup.
-The concerning one for me is my right calf. It is slightly smaller than my left, and when I noticed this after my first appointment with the neurologist, I tested my calves with weightlifting. For the next two months, I had a pain in the heel of my foot that felt like an inflamed tendon (also would occur in the other foot if I ran a lot) and had difficulty walking. Now, 3-4 months later, I still feel unstable on that leg (specifically the ankle seems to roll inward), the calf muscle is smaller, and I have pain that radiates in the area of the peroneal tendon and muscle.

CONCLUSION

(If you've made it this far, I am eternally grateful to you.)

To conclude, I've done a significant amount of research on my symptoms, but still I feel no closer to an answer. My anxiety, at this point in time, is an inescapable thing that forces me to focus on the worst possible causes like ALS (the calf size difference, leg feeling unstable, grip strength, and all on the right side of the body) or MS (excess saliva, variety of symptoms, etc). And I fear it will continue to until I address my symptoms further. I am making an appointment tomorrow with my GP to figure out where to go from here, but I'd also like to see if you guys can help me.

Simply put, I'm not ready to die or be severely debilitated so any input as to why you don't think it can be ALS would be fantastic. Equally as helpful would be any information on what condition you think is causing my symptoms (I've looked into Lymes, Leaky Gut, Tension myositis syndrome, and others). In the end, I know that I'll have to accept whatever my condition is so I'm not asking for false words of hope.

Thank you so much for your time, genuinely.

Sophie1
01-06-15, 11:02
Reasons you don't have it:

1. People with ALS don't get tingling.
2. Other people would be concerned.
3. You wouldn't be able to feel weakness or anything - you would feel completely normal, but not be able to move a muscle.
4. A doctor would have known straight away if something more serious is going on.
5. You think you have it. Most people with ALS don't realise they have it and other people notice it before.
6. ALS doesn't come and go and neither does any neuroligical cause.
7. Everyone has slight differences in muscles and atrophy comes after loss of use.
8. You just don't have it.

I have been dealing with these worries as well, so I hope this helps you.

Emilym80
02-06-15, 04:13
Joint pain is a late-stage symptom in ALS. Have you ruled out postural or mechanical causation? My knees hyperextend, which is actually quite common and not that noticeable unless you look (and, once you know what it looks like, you'll notice that a lot of other people's do, too). As what I believe is a consequence of this, I get pain in my knees.

If this is a possibility you could try seeing a physio. In addition, it could also be dietary, etc. If you had anxiety before this period of discomfort, it's possible that it's just anxiety causing it.

If I were you, I would do the additional testing recommended by the rheumatologist, see the neuro and think about some more simple, benign causes. Regardless, you don't have ALS, as your joint pain would have occurred after significant weakness. I have weakness in my hands which is simply due to having had tendonitis in my forearms for a long period- not ALS.

Take care :)

DiscountDouble
02-06-15, 05:02
Thanks for the responses. I think I've reached the point--except in moments of worry--where I know it's extremely unlikely that my condition is related to ALS.

As much as I would like all of my symptoms to be related to anxiety, I don't get the feeling that this is the case. Whatever the cause is, though, I feel like I can handle it. I simply need to invest the time necessary to figure it out.

I'll update once this happens, in case anyone else has any similar symptoms.

highandlow
02-06-15, 14:38
Hello
ALS doesn't present like this and tbh your joint pain is puzzling . I think some of your symptoms are caused by anxiety. Your symptoms are vague , that's good . Means it's unlikely to be serious :)

Good luck;)

Lilly13
02-06-15, 16:29
Hi,

I have had all of these symptoms and more. Please do not worry, ALS is really rare at your age. I am 23 so I suppose it is also rare at my age. I had the pain in joints, feeling that legs were going to give out ect. Also I suffer from twitching all over, tmj, face tightness. ect. I have had all of this come and go for about 4 months now. If you had a clear neuro exam I am sure all is well. I did not have an EMG, no neuro thought it was necessary. Do me a favour and look at how many people with anxiety experience twitching and aches and pains and TMJ. We are also all afraid of ALS.

Did you have your EMG yet?

Let me know how it goes, message me or Emily for support if you need ( Emily has been like an angel to me :) )

Best Wishes,

Lilly
xx

:hugs:

Sophie1
02-06-15, 20:09
I had difficulty swallowing liquids for a while and googled it and it came up with ALS and I could not calm down. I didn't even know what they meant be 'difficulty swallowing', but I assumed I had it. It's fair to say I don't as I do not choke and I can still get liquids down, but it 'feels' more horrible. I've also wasted a month waiting for my speech to slur, which it hasn't.....

Please don't worry about ALS as I'm 100% certain you don't have it, but I have the same anxiety over it

DiscountDouble
03-06-15, 02:47
Highandlow- Thanks for the response. The joint pain migration certainly was odd. It's what makes me think of Lymes as a possibility. And I'm sure you're right about the anxiety causing some symptoms. After I calmed down a lot--a few months ago, I noticed that some symptoms are less severe and some have disappeared altogether. Thanks again!

Lilly- I really appreciate your response and offer of support. That's very kind of you. I'm sorry that you're going through a similar situation. I did go through some of your previous posts and read the detailed explanations of your symptoms. Honestly, it sounds like a classic case of BFS (begnign faciculation syndrome), which is completely harmless and usually greatly lessens or disappears once you stop fixating on your symptoms. I absolutely wouldn't worry.

Sophie-- Thank you for your response. I'm sorry to hear that you've been anxious as well. Many of the muscles that control swallowing also control speech so you probably would have noticed more than just difficulty swallowing if it truly was the insidious disease you fear. Not to mention, this would mean it is bulbar onset, which is an a rare form of a super rare disease--not to mention the most aggressive so a month of no new symptoms is a great sign. Most of all, though, there are so many things that cause difficulty swallowing, fixating on one as rare as ALS is simply a result of your anxiety, and anxiety is a common cause of difficulty swallowing. In fact, I didn't mention when I was extremely anxious I had difficulty swallowing for awhile. Rest easy!

Sophie1
03-06-15, 09:41
Dr google always focuses on the worst case scenario and never tells you the true details - bulbar starts with speech issues and I'm sure after five months of this on and off I would of had it by now. I have now accepted it isn't ALS and just anxiety with maybe acid reflux or a slight problem as well. I hope you feel better soon :)

DiscountDouble
04-06-15, 00:10
After 5 months, you undoubtedly would have--not to mention, symptoms wouldn't come and go. Glad to hear you've overcome most of your concerns. Thanks again!

mlemos89
12-10-15, 12:52
Wow DiscountDouble if I didn't know better I'd think I wrote this. I just turned 26, and have pains I'm mainly my wrists, forearms, shins, ankles, and chest. The main ones that have me worried are the ones in my forearms (tops) and my shins as they will happen even as I am laying down or waking up and they are sharp pains or achy pains. They started to be consistent about a month ago, and once I got it in my head that it could be bone related (hard to tell as not much muscle in those areas) I noticed it has been worse.
I think about it constantly even when going to sleep which could cause the pain upon waking. My doctor thinks this is a non issue as I have seen her about 10 times this year from when I had left temple pain earlier this year to my concerns over about 5 days of extreme fatigue. My main worry is although it is most likely anxiety, what if it is not? I have also thought MS, and ALS. And constantly check my forearms or my calves for muscle loss.