PDA

View Full Version : Nodular Melanoma

lofwyr
01-06-15, 15:20
Ugh, 6 days before a trip to Europe and I discover a blood blister like mole that I think used to be a normal light mole. This is not a cherry angioma, and looks exactly like a blood blister. In fact, at first thats what I thought it was, and was not freaked out by it.

But it isn't. I have an appointment on Wednesday at 10:30 and it seems like an eon away. I made the mistake of googling nodular melanoma, and it looks just like some photos of it. I am so freaked out, and right before a holiday.

countrygirl
01-06-15, 17:36
Could it be a big cherry angionoma I am covered in them and some of them look like big red moles?

Hope your Gp can put your mind at rest, its because your going on holiday that you are hyper vigilant for anything wrong!

Help1989
01-06-15, 22:24
I'm in the same boat as you with mole worry- I think cos its visible on your skin it's hard to forget about. I'm thinking about going private to get mine removed cos I know that's the only way I'll stop the worry until I get my ha under control! You may be referred to a dermatologist just to be safe! Try your best to trust your doctor, I know it's hard!! :)

lofwyr
02-06-15, 04:00
Thanks for the replies, my head is going to explode from the anxiety. I made the mistake of googling, and have all but resigned myself to an early death. Just in time to take my wife to Europe for two weeks. I will do my best to fake it, and pretend I am not out of my mind with fear.

Hoping for some good news on Wednesday, but what I have on my butt looks exactly like every picture of nodular melanoma on the net...so scared.

lofwyr
04-06-15, 22:32
Well had a biopsy done today. About to head to England for a holiday and I feel a tough better just knowing whatever that thing was is not on me anymore.

Still nervous about it, but I have done what I can for now and will hope for the best. The doctor was dubious that it would even comeback melanoma and fairly certain it was not nodular so I am going to hang on to that and hope for the best.

I may let my biopsy results lie until I get home because if it was positive it would probably destroy any peace I have going for me.

KayeS
04-06-15, 23:49
The doctor doesn't think it's anything to worry about, focus on that and enjoy my great country :) The weather is looking good here for the weekend!

Gordknight
05-06-15, 07:39
I wouldnt be too worried. Take it from someone who actually was diagnosed with MElanoma last October. Mine wasnt nodular, mine was superficial spreading but if it helps nodular melanoma is pretty rare in comparison. Nodular also tends to grow REALLY fast. The stage 1a melanoma I had removed took almost 3 years to get to that point. Most nodular melanomas go from being nothing at all to full blown spreading in your lymph nodes in under a year. Sometimes in as low as a few months. But its something youd notice quickly. Superficial spreading melanoma take a long time in most cases.

So unless you had no spot or a regular mole that turned raised and kept getting bigger really fast I dont think you have much to worry about. And even if that is the case you need to keep in mind that MOST changes in moles are not cancerous. In fact my doctor told me that dermatologists and oncologists are still fighting over whether or not atypical moles are even at an elevated risk of changing to cancer in comparison to regular normal moles.

I know I have had melanoma but overall you have less than a 3 percent chance that your mole is a melanoma.. and even if it is.. melanoma isnt a death sentence in all cases anymore. you are doing the right thing by getting it checked and removed. Its probably nothing.. and if it is something you probably caught it early. All the best.

lofwyr
05-06-15, 15:19
Thanks a ton for the comments. It was a mole that did in fact change quickly, or it went unnoticed. Would it be obvious during the biopsy whether it would be nodular or not or is that something really only noticeable during pathology?

Gordknight
06-06-15, 07:20
No mole raised or no can be said 100 percent for sure without being biopsied. If your dermatologist is worth his or her salt they can usually have a pretty good idea, but getting a biopsy is always advised. My doc saw my melanoma mole without even a dermiscope and said it needed to go right away. Then several others I had convinced myself were melanoma he didnt think were anything but removed them to give me peace of mind and he was right. They were nothing.