PDA

View Full Version : New claim for ESA worries?

Emily Griffiths
01-06-15, 16:16
Hi,

So I'm new to this forum and also new to claiming for ESA. The process has only just started, and naturally I have a million and one worries about it. I'm terrified that they are going to find me "fit for work" when I'm really not. I would really like some second opinions from people who have claimed ESA and been both successful and unsuccessful, so I can gauge whether or not I have a chance of being successful. I'll try and summarise because there's a lot going on.
Three years ago, I was hit by a car as a pedestrian. I suffered numerous injuries. I contracted glandular fever a short while after, and since then I've had basically no immune system. I've had countless bouts of the flu and tonsillitis. I've suffered immensely with recurring UTI's (with bladder and kidney infections - and have been hospitalised many times for them). Because of this, I now have referrals to Urology and Immunology. I suffer with severe depression, anxiety and PTSD and am being investigated for possibly having Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, or something of the sort. On my worst days, I can't get out of bed, not even to shower or eat. I'm in constant pain and I am constantly exhausted. I've been in and out of hospital over the past six months having surgery and then developing infections and complications. The strain that the past 3 years has been, has really taken it's toll on my body and I am at my wits end because I am so poorly all the time. Do you think this is a severe enough situation that they will grant me ESA, or is there any way they might find me "fit for work"? I will be devastated if they don't grant it, because I dread to think how badly having to work, will affect me.

Thank you for all your support :)

Annie0904
01-06-15, 19:09
When you go for your assessment just make sure you have letters from all of the doctors and consultants you are seeing to back up your claim. It is very hard to say if you will be accepted for it or not. I suspect though that the worst case scenario would be that they could put you in the work group rather than the support group but you could always appeal. I think that this worst case scenario would be unlikely with your medical history.

CookieCat
06-06-15, 01:33
As someone who used to work in Welfare to Work as a coach it sounds to me like you are entitled to ESA. Make photocopies of all your Documents and keep the originals, always have your hospital letters etc on you as proof. You are not fit for work at the moment and the hospital letters/medication etc will back this up. If there's any further issue, you can see welfare rights about this!

I had a customer who was clearly unfit for work but DWP decided to put them on JSA and put them on the work programme. I advised them to photocopy all their medical letters and take the matter further.

My customer was then put on ESA and I phoned them at home once or twice a month just to check up on how they were doing.

I seen this happen time and time again (partly why I left this Job), don't be afraid to plead/fight your case cause if there's one thing they don't want it's bad publicity/claim/court or Vulnerable customers going to newspapers/media.

Bellshill one
26-06-15, 15:21
Hi. You should ask for a home medical from esa. Ask your doc to write you a support letter and send it to them. I was awarded pip a few weeks ago for mental health probs. I got award for ten yrs. Nobody can tell what your result will be. But I can only stress get as much evidence as poss. Ask as many people as you can to write you a support letter. Any medical people such as docs consultants and even nurses. Thats what I done.