PDA

View Full Version : SSRI Without weight gain?

its1111
01-06-15, 16:22
Hi! I know everyone is different, but has anyone found an SSRI that does not cause you to gain weight? I tried lexapro and that was by far the worst, then celexa, wasn't quite as bad, but still gained about 10lbs, and lastly prozac. The prozac increased my anxiety, so now I am just taking a benzo.

I don't feel depressed, just bogged down with a lot of anxiety, so I feel like an SSRI would be better than a benzo in general. I know I shouldn't be concerned with the weight gain if I want to feel better, but it always tends to make me feel even worse about myself.

Thanks for any suggestions!!

ricardo
01-06-15, 17:16
In a word, NO, and I have tried the lot :)

sorry,didn't mean to be flippant but anyway since my recent HA, SSRI's aren't allowed for a year or so for my condition.

Sparkle1984
01-06-15, 17:25
I think, like all side effects, this varies for different people. For example, I'm on Celexa (known as citalopram here in the UK) and have been on and off it for the past 3 years, but it hasn't made me gain weight. In fact I've lost a bit of weight in the last couple of years as I've been trying to do more exercise and eating more healthily than I used to. So I guess it's a case of trial and error to see which med doesn't give you unacceptable side effects.

its1111
02-06-15, 18:00
Yes, I think you're right. The Prozac actually made me lose a little weight at the beginning, but it made my anxiety worse. And coming off of it was and still is a nightmare!!!

Wasn't sure about the other meds like Wellbutrin, Effexor, etc... Whenever I ask my dr, he swears none of them make you gain weight, but I'm certain they do for me!