PDA

View Full Version : Feel Really Awful!!

CookieCat
01-06-15, 17:20
Hi Guys,

Sorry in advance for this rant but I just need to vent lol!

I fell really down right now, crap actually!

I've been unemployed for a few months after the company I worked for went into administration, it was a well paid job. I've been applying and applying for anything, any hours, any days, you name it and I just cannot get a Job.

I signed up to the Reed website and included my pic which was a profesional picture(as it says to do) and my CV etc and advertised myself for temp work too, still nothing.

The cherry on the cake was when I applied earlier for a part time really low paid receptionist job for a local company. 30 mins later after I sent my CV they sent me an email saying I was unsuccessful!!!!

So straight away I'm thinking I'm I'm not good enough, I'll never get a job, I'm too ugly or I'm too glam and they've judged me on my appearance.

I have lots of experience and a degree under my belt and nobody will give me the time of day.

I don't know what's wrong with me but I think if I'm not careful this will send me into Depression/Anxiety.

I'm trying to remain positive and keep going but it's really difficult when nobody will give you a chance.

Sorry about this, hope I haven't depressed everybody, I'm just having one of those days when it's all rejection emails and it's just gotten to me :weep:

Annie0904
01-06-15, 19:03
It is awful when you keep getting rejection emails but that doesn't mean you are not good enough. It isn't easy to find employment and they are usually a lot applying. I am also a great believer in it will happen if it is meant to be...maybe something better will come up soon. Don't take it personally. :hugs::hugs:

Sparkle1984
01-06-15, 19:14
Sorry to hear you're feeling so awful! I think it is very difficult to find a new job right now. What sort of job were you doing before you were made redundant? Unfortunately a lot of employers are very picky and will only interview someone who has done the same sort of job in the past. I imagine that a vacancy for a receptionist would get several dozen applications, which means that the employer can afford to be very picky. If you had a high-powered job before, they might have thought you were overqualified for the receptionist vacancy - in other words, they might be worried that you would leave as soon as you found something better. It's frustrating when that happens, but it's not a reflection on your skills or your worth as an individual.

The last time I was applying for jobs was in late 2009, which was in the middle of the recession, and I remember I kept getting a lot of knockbacks even though I thought I'd done well in the interviews. There were 2 jobs I particularly wanted, and I attended interviews for both of them, but I didn't get offered them even though I received relatively good feedback from the interviewers. Then there was another interview where they said I just got pipped at the post by a slightly more experienced candidate. I did feel very disheartened at times, but I kept trying and I was eventually offered a new job in early 2010, and in many ways I think it was actually better than the ones which rejected me. I believe that, in time, you will be offered a job which you'll enjoy. :hugs:

fallingstar
01-06-15, 23:12
My sister got a ton of rejection emails when she was applying to schools for placement after getting her doctorates a few months ago. She was prescribed xanax (she has never had anxiety before) as she was having horrible physical and mental stress due to the rejections. A few schools finally accepted her and now she is happy where she has been placed. Sometimes it just takes time. I went through something similar just recently. Moved to a whole new region of my state (NJ in the US) and knew nobody out here, unemployed for a few weeks in the middle of a transfer that should've taken a week took almost a month. I was anxious the entire month - in the end it turned out for no reason at all either. Everything worked itself out. I had a hard time finding a job as well back in the fall of 2008/winter/spring of 2009. More than half a year at home due to the company downsizing and closing and finally found something. I'm sure it's only a matter of time. We have something here called Craigslist - basically a national classifieds listing site: jobs, homes, cars, items for sale, items wanted, jobs offered, jobs wanted. A lot of times they have jobs on there that you can get and start very quickly. If you have that option maybe try something like that? Hope it all gets better for you very soon. Take care. :)

t0rt01se36
02-06-15, 10:45
Hi CookieCat.

Sorry you're going through a rough patch, because of job application rejections.

Don't take it personally. I agree with others, that Employers are very picky.

Have you considered working in the Media, possibly as a Placement?

The BBC were recently looking for staff. All over the UK.

CookieCat
06-06-15, 01:43
Thank you so much for the comments guys, much appreciated!

Things have taken a more positive turn as I've been offered some interviews for some really good roles which I have experience in.

I'm trying to stay focused and positive!!

I think It's just one of those things where stuff just gets to me. When you try hard with things and constantly hit a brick wall.

I will keep going and if you're going through similar I hope you keep going too and try and keep focused/positive :hugs:

MyNameIsTerry
06-06-15, 05:52
I think it gets most people down. Its a scramble over the tops of many other CV's at times.

I remember a guy at the walk-in meetings saying he was sick of looking on Reed because it showed the number of applicants and he hated seeing that he was one of many.

The sad situation is that its easier to get a job when you already have one so it can be demoralising when you don't.

Try not to read into things though, there could be all sorts of reasons and it doesn't mean you haven't got the skills or aren't goo enough, it can simply mean someone else had slightly more which they liked or a different skillset that they saw as a better fit for them.

When applying for jobs beneath the skill/experience level you normally work at, its like how Sparkle said. Some employers will see it as a plus because you could bring even more skills and gain later promotions but some are just after someone to do the work. The latter will worry about later recruiting.

Good luck!