PDA

View Full Version : Hi my name is Steve!

Steve163
01-06-15, 21:53
Hello folks,

Just wanted to introduce myself really.
I had my first panic attack when I was about 19/20 years old on a tube after alot of booze the night before. I was on the tube when out of the blue I had what I now know is 'depersonalisation'.The feeling that everything was unreal and that I had left my body was to say the least disturbing!I staggered off the tube frightened out of my wits in case I was going insane, dying etc etc...
That started the cycle of beginning to fear going on tubes in case it happened again, then on buses, then in cars, then heights the list went on and on including some real freaky ones like fear of a clear blue sky!!
I began to self medicate back then with alcohol ( I was going through a stressful time back then also; relationship break up, brother diagnosed with a serious mental health condition, another friend dying) this began a phase of the slippery slope to alcoholism which nearly killed me.

Needless to say my story is a long one and I have now not drank for over ten years and am on Paroxatine and valium.

I have periods of improvement and I have had set backs,,,some people develop long term panic disorder others do not but panic attacks are on the increase and I believe our society and way of thinking about things has a lot to do with it.

Anyway, enough from me. Would just like to say hello to fellow sufferers and feel free to say hello back as I know from experience how isolating this disorder can be and it helps to get a support network.

Best wishes,

Steve, xx

venusbluejeans
01-06-15, 21:59
Hiya Steve163 and welcome to NMP :welcome:

Why not take a look at our articles on our home page, they contain a wealth of information and are a great starting place for your time on the forum.

I hope you find the as site helpful and informative as I have and that you get the help and support you need here and hope that you meet a few friends along the way :yesyes:

helloworld
02-06-15, 08:11
Hi steve. I have problems with panic attacks too and happy to chat anytime... Hope you're doing ok at the moment.
Best,Mark.