PDA

View Full Version : Bad work dinner

Robin
28-01-07, 11:18
My work outing

I was invited out for a meal with work associates – I always feel nervous at these outings and I often will take something to calm me down so I’m don’t come across as an anti-social mess. This time I didn’t take anything and had just arrived [late because of downtown Vietnamese Saturday night traffic] with everyone tucking into their dinners.

There wasn’t room at the table so I had to sit by myself which really made me feel out of place! It was a buffet and a waitress asked me for my ticket but she tapped me on the shoulder from behind and I practically jumped out of my skin. As embarrassing enough as that was it turned my stomach into a tight knot. I spent the rest of the dinner picking at my food, sat alone.

Not a positive one. Anyone else had similar experiences?

Robin

seeker
28-01-07, 11:48
Oh dear! Sounds like the sort of experience that would have made anyone feeel uncomfortable, not just someone with anxiety! Still,at least you didn't have to pick at your food in front of everybody else. Seems silly though - surely they had booked a table for the right number of people?! Did you go and join the rest of them after the food for a drink and chat? I find it really difficult to eat with people I don't know well, becasue I am a tremendously slow eater and occasionally feel i am choking on food and cough and splutter all over my dinner - not pleasant! However, I persevere on becasue I like eating out...sometimes!

Robin
28-01-07, 12:05
Yes afterwards I went for a drink and chat - I had to really. However that went fine. But maybe they didn't book a big enough table - of that I'm sure bcause there were more late arrivals who just apprehended another table. But I didn't feel like joining them during the meal.

ksmith
28-01-07, 14:46
Robin

I hate works 'do's' as well and have, in the past, had a few nightmare ones!! I used to get absolutely rat arsed before I went in order to give me confidence. Consequently, I would then do something really embarrassing and spend the whole weekend worrying about what would happen when I got back to work.

I know you didn't have a good time but at least you know you didn't do something that is now making your cringe. It was very bad planning that you had to eat alone but think positive ...... at least you kept your dignity!!!

Kayx

sal
28-01-07, 15:59
Sorry your work do wasnt any good. It must have been really hard sat on your own hun.

Love Sal xx

Dont mess up the best things in your life, just because at present you are unsure who you are.

"Life is a distance and to travel that distance you were given the strength and guidance to do so".

rufus
28-01-07, 16:25
Hi all

Eating out is quite often a problem for me. This weekend was really strange as I went out Friday to friends I know well for a meal and spent half the time away from the table feeling really uncomfortable eating at theh table - I never really relaxed all night but at least I went.

Then last night I went to different freinds for a meal and my anxiety wasn't a problem at all - for the first time in weeks. I wish I could identify why I felt ok as it was still on my mind but I didn't get any horrible symptoms as usual and was able to sit at the table and eat EVERYTHING!

Just goes to show it is all in the mind! hope it continues - going out again later for another meal to the in-laws so will be interesting to see!

Rufus

loopyangel
28-01-07, 22:31
i suffer with anxiety about eating out all the time often i just dont go which i know is the wrong thing to do

often find my self reaching for something before i go out to calm me to
the weirdest thing is i have never understaood why this is one of my greatest problems

i never suffered like this before my panick attacks started

Robin
29-01-07, 12:10
K Smith

I've done that before - get blasted before the "do" and turned up and said something really bad in my drunken state too many times. I've vowed never to drink before parties or just not to go. Drinking to give you confidence can have very negative results.

Melina
08-02-07, 19:28
Hi Robin
I've had so many bad experiences with work do's, there were always so many of them because of the type of work I did, I had so much expectation put on me as well, because I was a senior person, this was where half the anxiety came from.

I would try so many things to try and calm me down before a work doo. If I knew I would not have time to have a drink (or two or three! too much drink would make me act silly and make matters worse) before, I would buy a small bottle of brandy and take a few swigs in the ladies. Other times I would down a few bottles (yes bottles, not a few drops on the tongue) of rescue remedy or I would try and go down with one person I felt the most comfortable with, but I hated it whenever others wanted to join us to go to the event. I can seem to handle just one or two people, but in a group i just fade into the background. My dread in a social situation is when somone would shout across the table to me, so all eyes where on me and ask my opinion or something, I would freeze, or mumble & jumble it was so debilitating.

sal
08-02-07, 23:03
Doesnt it just. Make you feel a much bigger and braver person than we ever could be.

Love Sal xx

Dont mess up the best things in your life, just because at present you are unsure who you are.

"Life is a distance and to travel that distance you were given the strength and guidance to do so".