PDA

View Full Version : No appetite... Any advice?

Help1989
02-06-15, 20:50
Does anyone else suffer with a bad appetite? Mine has been quite bad for over a month now. I seek just to want little bits of sweet food rather than meals, I never really want to eat and when I think I do, I can't eat much. I know this could be the anxiety but obviously my brain goes into overdrive thinking many other reasons for it. I lost a stone last year which I couldn't afford to do. I'm at a healthy weight again now but am obviously scared about not being able to eat. Has anyone experienced this? It's all the time but more so when I've been thinking about my current health worry... That dropping worry feeling in the stomach that kills your appetite.

Sophie1
02-06-15, 21:01
I actually have a bad appetite at the moment, I've always been told to eat 'little and often'. I always find that fruit is easy to eat when I have no appetite - wouldn't recommend apples though. Also bread is quite good to eat when you have no appetite, I always feel quite sick with my lack of appetite, so have to stick to more bland foods. Don't worry about your weight, even if it drops, I am sure that you will put it back on eventually and for now just try to eat as much as possible :)

Sizzle
02-06-15, 21:02
Hi there,
I am currently experiencing a loss of appetite too. It's not nice, and I'm sorry to hear you're struggling with it too. It is the anxiety, I would say. I have been able to have smoothies and small amounts of mash potato etc. Try to eat small amounts and regularly.
Maybe talk to your dr about this too.

Help1989
02-06-15, 21:06
Thank you both for your quick replies! When I feel 'normal' I can eat a large amount so it's scary when I sit down to a meal and have to force myself to eat it. It's like I just don't want to swallow. I used to be healthy, eating loads of veggies and smoothies but with my health anxiety it's almost like, what's the point, I'm really ill anyway. Stupid I know but just how my mind works. Thanks for the tips, I'll try the fruit so at least I'm getting some nutrients and maybe take a supplement for a few weeks

Sizzle
02-06-15, 21:12
Yes, taking a supplement is also a very good idea, I am doing that also. I can relate to much of what you said. I hope all of our anxiety abates soon. X

MyNameIsTerry
03-06-15, 01:31
The body is known to crave sweeter foods when under stress. It will crave high fat foods when depressed or mood is low.

The fight or flight response does have effects like reducing need for food or flushing the bowel. So, if your anxiety is high a lot you cam imagine it will be doing things like this.

Eat what you can, smaller meals will be better in terms of other possible gastro symptoms anyway and try to make it healthy stuff. Drinking calories is easier than eating them hence why the sports market sells so many of them as it prevents a lot of bloating as well as delivers more nutrients than many foods do if done right.

A whole market has been created out of healthy meal supplementation with tasteless protein powders where you just add a spoonful to a meal to fortify it.