PDA

View Full Version : Doctor ordered more tests- high ESR- scared

Enoughalready!
03-06-15, 06:10
I had some bloodwork done a few weeks ago to try to determine a medical cause for my thinning hair. I since went back for a follow up and my doctor said everything looked fine, although I had elevated vitamin d and iron, which we attributed to the vitamin supplements I was taking.
Now, two weeks later I get a phone call saying my doctor ordered more blood tests- the nurse said to look for rheumatoid arthritis maybe. I asked what prompted this and she said the only things off in my labs were the vitamin d, iron AND an elevated ESR. Naturally, I googled (sigh) and saw that an elevated ESR can mean cancer. Lots of other inflammatory illnesses too, but the c word always grabs me and stabs me in the heart. I'm trying to be reasonable, but I'm so nervous about what this could all mean. It's one thing to unnecessarily worry about my health, but it's another when there really is something to worry about. My heart aches with worry now.
Anyone else have an elevated ESR???

Enoughalready!
03-06-15, 20:33
Nobody? Eeek.

ruthb1
03-06-15, 20:59
ive just had blood tests done, and like you, I have a vitamin d deficiency as my vit d levels were low and was prescribed meds and have got to have further blood tests. I suffer from health anxiety and ptsd I also have a fear of doctors and hospitals. I had a letter from them telling me I needed further blood tests and did what you did googled. (worst thing I could have done before I knew it , I had cancer etc. go for the tests if its rheumatoid there is loads they can do, but also vitamin d, causes joint pain and possible osteoporosis which may be an indication of the rheumatoid. try not to stress too much, I know its hard

swajj
04-06-15, 10:38
Why didn't the doctor tell you that he wanted to do further testing when he originally gave you the results of you blood work?

Enoughalready!
04-06-15, 14:20
I wondered that, too. I'm inclined to think maybe the possibility of RA didn't cross his mind until later, maybe?
He didn't even mention my ESR results at my appointment, so I suppose they weren't alarming.

AlexandriaUK
04-06-15, 14:28
Now adays they start at the top and work there way down, had you had any infections lately as in cold/flue/tooth ache/food poisoning etc the list goes on, also things like heartburn remedies raise it.
There are more silly things that raise it than dangerous ones.
Try not to worry but you could ask how high it was.

Enoughalready!
04-06-15, 14:34
Hmmm. I haven't been sick with anything, but I do take medication daily for acid reflux.
I think knowing the exact result would make me more nervous so I'm better off not asking.

ruthb1
04-06-15, 15:47
The further blood tests maybe to test your vitamin d levels again, I've got to have further tests in 6 weeks, are you on meds for vitamin d?

yenool
04-06-15, 19:41
elevated ESR is really common. Any kind of infection (even a mild cold) or inflammation can do it. How important it is really depends on how high it is and if it remains high on retests. One high result means nothing. Also ESR generally gets higher with age and sometimes the result can be marked as 'high' but it is not really high when a persons age and history are taken into account.

Really if you are over dosed on iron and vitamin D from over the counter supplements you must have been taking far too much.

countrygirl
05-06-15, 13:46
As has been said it is incredibly common to have slighty elevated ESR. They can have a guess at whats wrong with how elevated the reading is. If it was elevated enough to make them think cancer they would have got you a hospital appt very fast ( this happened to my friend who had bone marrow cancer, her esr was off the scale) so the fact he is just looking into rheumatology tests make me think its not that high and he is ticking the box.
To have elevated iron and vit d you must have been taking a large amount of over the counter supplements and I would guess your dr has told you to stop them especially the iron?
Usually they redo the esr test a week or so later to see if its falling as it could just be that you have some minor infection somewhere thats not even noticable but your body is dealing with it itself.