PDA

View Full Version : High ESR? Scared!

Enoughalready!
03-06-15, 06:11
I had some bloodwork done a few weeks ago to try to determine a medical cause for my thinning hair. I since went back for a follow up and my doctor said everything looked fine, although I had elevated vitamin d and iron, which we attributed to the vitamin supplements I was taking.
Now, two weeks later I get a phone call saying my doctor ordered more blood tests- the nurse said to look for rheumatoid arthritis maybe. I asked what prompted this and she said the only things off in my labs were the vitamin d, iron AND an elevated ESR. Naturally, I googled (sigh) and saw that an elevated ESR can mean cancer. Lots of other inflammatory illnesses too, but the c word always grabs me and stabs me in the heart. I'm trying to be reasonable, but I'm so nervous about what this could all mean. It's one thing to unnecessarily worry about my health, but it's another when there really is something to worry about. My heart aches with worry now.
Anyone else have an elevated ESR???

Annie0904
03-06-15, 17:53
Lots of people have elevated ESR, if you have had any recent infection such as a cold it can cause raised ESR.