PDA

View Full Version : Work based panic Attacks

Scholesy63
05-06-15, 10:06
Hi first time poster, have looked on here for help and advice at various points and there is really good support for everyone.

I keep having panic attacks on the way into work on the train. These have happened for the last 2 months but every time I have battled through and gone in. I work in an open plan office which is quite a harsh environment, small cliques who do everything together inside and outside of work and blame culture etc. I suffer badly from thinking what other people think of me and as a result have developed a real lack of confidence at work and been making mistakes Which in turn makes my mind think 'everyone must be talking about me etc'.

These panic attacks take the usual form, heart racing dry mouth and feeling faint when I get off the train. I have employee assistance scheme at work and am 3 session into 6 free counselling sessions to help. I am fine when in work but if I am off at all I have a real phobia of going back.

I battled through until Wednesday when I got off the train and turned round, came back home and went to the doctors. She gave me a prescription for 10mg citalopram but I am reluctant to take these as I was on them in the past and it took ages to come off. I have called in sick yesterday and today and whilst I feel fine now Monday will be awful. In turning back wednesday I have created a real barrier for Monday.

Has anyone any advice as to how to prepare myself for Monday? I have asked to talk to my boss as I have a great relationship with him to tell him I am having counselling etc and the cause - the counselling is confidential at this stage - is this a good idea?

Apologies for the long post -and look forward to hearing from you.