PDA

View Full Version : Scared...is it aortic aneurysm

sezios
06-06-15, 08:53
For some years I have been seeing and feeling a pulse in my abdomen that appears to be in sync with heartbeat. Mentioned it a couple of times to GP but he's not really picked up on it. I can go weeks or months and not think about it but every now and then I suddenly get really panicky about it being an aneurysm. Mostly because if you google the symptoms, that is all that comes up! I have had 2 abdominal ultrasounds in the last 8 months for other health issues and wonder if anyone can reassure me that the radiologist would have seen an aneurysm whilst doing theses scans??

sial72
06-06-15, 10:45
Hi Sezios
Yes, I'm sure they would have picked up on it plus I don't think it would come and go for years. If it was something serious you would know by now. And the fact that you only have it when you think about it...health anxiety
DON'T google symptons and distract yourself and you'll be just fne x

Emilym80
06-06-15, 10:54
If you look through this subforum, you'll see that someone else posted a similar thing a couple of days ago. There have also been lots of threads on this feeling over the years.

The aorta is a largest and most flexible blood vessel in your body, so when it beats, it's much easier to be aware of it than other parts of your body. I think everybody could feel this if they concentrated, but most people don't take notice of it unless you ask them to.

And, yes, the ultrasound would probably have picked up on it if you had one, as most aneurysms in general are found incidentally (picked up on an exam that wasn't intentionally looking for them).

Take care :)

venusbluejeans
06-06-15, 10:59
1. you will feel pulses all over your body, Aneurrysms produce abnormal pulses in the abdomen and yous is in sync with your heart beat
2. Drs only screen for Anerrysms in the over 65's so that tells you the age group they are most prevelant in
3. You have had this for many years
4. would have been picked up in scans
5. you will also notice when you are googling that "pulse in abdomen anxiety" comes up... maybe click on that one instead?
6. Googling as you know will ALWAYS give you the worst possible senario, the easiest way to convince yourself you are dying is to google.

as has been said already.... scroll to the bottom of the page and look at 'similar' threads' you will see mmany more with the same fear.

sezios
06-06-15, 13:45
Thank you all for your comments, which have been helpful and reassuring. I really hate that I get so anxious and I know I should stay well away from Google as it certainly doesn't help the anxiety!

Daniele_T
06-06-15, 18:39
For a few years I had pulses and visible twitches like palpitations in my stomach. ...
I saw one of the uk's top surgeons as a friend and showed him.

He was amused and just said that the aorta runs through there so it could just be a pulse but he'd never seen one visibly pulsing like mine.

He also didn't give a hoot and didn't think I needed any tests what so ever.

I laugh about it but if I'd heard of aortic aneurysm at the time I'd ha e been going off my rocker about it.

A little knowledge can be a very bad thing...Google sucks hard for its unhelpfulness with HA.

spacebunnyx
07-06-15, 20:29
Yes, it IS your aorta... but not an aneurysm. I've had this for decades. It tends to show up more if you're slim. xxx

Percy99pollen
07-06-15, 22:13
Friend of mine had a chest X-ray and an abdominal X-ray which showed up an aortic aneurysm so yours would have too. He didn't even need anything done with his as wasn't big enough to worry about so even if you did have one its only a problem when large so nothing's showed up in scan then nothing to worry about.
CHILLAX ��������