PDA

View Full Version : Paranoia/thinking worse case scenario constantly. Any advice?

Txxxrho
07-06-15, 10:57
Any advice on how to ease paranoia? I have like rational basis but I take it always to the most irrational level, it feels but it absolutely feels real like it's going to happen whatever it is I'm paranoid of. I just feel like my guard HAS to be up 24/7 or else type of feeling. My brain finds like ways to rational the irrational and non probable fears. It's like I need a 100% fact that everything is okay and if I can't get then (which I can never get on any area) How do you break this? Any advice?

---------- Post added at 09:57 ---------- Previous post was at 09:55 ----------

It's like everyday is the day that something is going to happen. And when it passes then the nights are awful because it's like paranoia/panic restart on the previous day. A nonstop panic cycle

gregcool
07-06-15, 17:06
Hi txxx..i have no advice to give.just droping you a note to say,im just like you.always making everything worse than what it realy is..its a bummer..

Oosh
07-06-15, 23:48
If you have nothing going on in your life and everyday you are in that same place that can be all your mind has to do. Give it goals, direction, mini goals to reach the goals, feed your reward systems then keep on that track and keep the things you are paranoid about in your peripheral vision instead.

Doubts and worries are normal. But stay focused on what's real and important to you.

If you don't have these other things then anxieties will fill that void all day every day.

Move forward, build something, solve the problems that need solving, ultimately you'll be happy you did and you'll gradually feel better.

Txxxrho
08-06-15, 02:07
I agree. But it's like I can't even get motivated because I get into the "What's the point?" Type of thinking where I just feel like something awful is going to happen. No matter what it is so it's like everything feels pointless. Very depressing and pessimistic way if thinking, I know, but I'm like stuck.

MyNameIsTerry
08-06-15, 08:23
Its the typical survival mode of fight or flight, always look for threats so you can minimise them. Then you find yourself fighting with it because it is demanding absolutes which you know cannot be given hence more anxiety about the tiniest of chances that something could happen.

Anxiety is like this and it can often manifest in a need to control as much stimulus as possible, something that I have had a lot of trouble with.

To challenge thinking, you can try things like Thought Records in CBT. These get you write down the thought that is bothering you and then the evidence for it in the next column. Then you fill in a column where you provide counter evidence and then write a thought conclusion. This is hard at first because you can't easily see outside of your own situation...but I bet if someone wrote something on there you could easily counter it all for them because you couldn't be absorbed by it and apply the tunnel vision view.

Also look to your Cognitive Distortions. This is a definite issue for you, which can easily be seen in your last post. Read the ones on Wiki, they are accurate and provide examples which will make sense more as you work through your thoughts trying to highlight the distortions.

So, then work through your Thought Record thought and evidence and mark where you have distortions & which ones they are somehow. Then update your counter evidence to ensure you counter each distortion type found.

Its not quick, it takes time for these things to work but its free as the templates are online for download.

Getting past "what's the point" thinking is about moving forwards and seeing you can achieve things. Until you start to do that, you can remain trapped in this negative thinking. Each time you achieve something, you add more evidence for later countering and you create new positive or neutral memories to build on. Again, this is hard, especially at first, and you will have blips where it tends to hit you again, but the alternative is worse - staying stuck.