PDA

View Full Version : panic, anxiety and symptoms

ed
08-09-04, 01:03
Hey everyone,
Don't know where to start really. long story you know, but to cut it short. Sarah, new as she's known had her first panic attack in august last year. Stuff before that went down which was really traumatic for her and me, to top it off the misdiagnosis only made the worry worse. Eventually, we found out what was going on.

Anyway, after 3 months or so something happened to me which at the time i didnt understand. It was a sunday in november, i got up for the rugby world cup,to watch england, even though i felt rough, like i had flu or something. I was feeling worse and all i can desribe it as, is as if something popped in my head. I thought i would pass out, i didn't but started sweating , no dripping! it was horrible.

Months later, Xmas was horrible, i spent it in norway where sarah had her first panic attack,(my brothers wife is norwegian) i felt so rough and dizzy.
Then Easter, i was in malaysia, my mum and sister live there and my mindset got much worse. My flight involved 3 planes and 30 hours each way, sarah wasnt with me and the whole time i was worried that something would happen to her and every time i'd been there to sort it out.you know reassure her and generally do everything. yeh superman! hmmm...
On the flight back, i was a mess, the carpet on the plane floor was spinning. By the way it was a muslim airline so no booze, i wasnt drunk i promise! On my first stop i bought paracetomol cos i was so paranoid and burning up. It helped and i got back to heathrow after the worst journey of my life. They then lost our luggage and over a day after i left and all this happened, i spent 2 hours in baggage reclaim just waiting. it was hideous.
At this point i realised something was wrong so i went to the GP. I was so paranoid and the receptionist forgot i was there!i waited for an hour a nervous wreck b4 i said annything! What do you mean you forgot to sign me in?!!! i couldnt believe it! The doctor was great, but when i told her i felt i was under stressand the whole story with sarah and that; she told me it was anxiety and a form of depression.
I immediately said i didnt want anti-deps and so she gave me beta-blockers, propanalol to take 'as required', hmmm.
6 months or so ago, sarah and i went to the theatre, we had to leave as sarah was freaking. We didnt even get into the auditorium. This sunday we went again and what happened? I freaked....
We went to see a show, the comedy store, and i was nervous at first but then started laughing so hard it was great. Then 9 months after it first happened, it did it again...it felt like a sudden popping in my brain, like a million brain cells exploded and i thought i would pass out.
My next thought was the last thing i want in a comedy show is to collapse in front of everybody so run!!!after all its not funny and being the centre of attention is not fun in my book in this kind of situation. I didnt though, i sat tight and started sweating so much. I daren't laugh in case i pass out. it was really pants.
THis was sunday, its midnight now on tuesday night and i feel hideous. Have done since.
When i went to my GP a few months back she told me to see a counsellor. I am now, and she tells me i have panic attacks and anxiety. Sometimes I think i'm depressed too, but i describe it as being really frustrated, better terminology you see.
Anyway, after that, if you are still reading this sorry, i really want to know if anyone knows what i mean? My panic attack symptom was popping head, hmmm, and otherwise, my anxiety makes my eyes kill so bad. It's as if they cant focus properly, they struggle to focus at all when im nervous and it makes me so uneasy. Sometimes they water, they are blurry, and my eyes feel under pressure... ouch...

Its been happening a long time, i thought i was getting better but since the theatre i'm as bad as ever. I'm considering anti-depressants, so any advice on them and my symptoms would be really good. Does anyone know what i'm talking about?
Sorry bout the essay, hope i got the story across ok!
Please hel

lainey
08-09-04, 07:29
Hi Ed,

How are u today mate ?

I can relate to the popping head feelings, thats what happened to me when I had my first attack, it freaked me out as well and I kept getting it for the first couple of days. I don't get the sweats but my vision is affected too, I can honestly say that these are all symptoms of anxiety and panic although it took a while and 2 visits to the GP to convince me, I hope I have helped to reassure you. I too have managed without any medication and feel I have coped( just about) so hold on in there mate!

Take care

Elaine x

florence
08-09-04, 11:40
Hi Ed, I understand how you feel matie, i have had panic and anxiety disorders for 8 years on and off. And what you described, the popping head and eyes that can't focus, these are the similar symptoms I get, but especially, when the panic starts , it just comes like a wave, so sudden and unexpected, then i feel powerless and think its the end for me everytime, i feel as if i am fading from existence, due to unreality, the symptom is called "depersonalisation", what an horrible feeling !!! :( . I can reassure you that we are so many to feel that way, with more or less different symptoms, and we interprete it individually.
i couldnt really advise you about anti-deps, as I tried so many and they didn't help at the end, but its different for all people. I feel more comfortable with benzodiazepines but they r addictive unfortunately. hope that helps, take care. florence.

ed
08-09-04, 14:23
Thanks for your replies. It's a little reassuring that other people experience similar things.
Unfortunately I feel rubbish today. My eyes keep playing tricks on me which make me feel down, which in turn makes it worse!!
Nasty vicous circles.....
I'm seeing a counsellor, which i thought was helping but this weekend knocked me down and kept kicking to keep me there!
I'm feeling helpless, hopeless, generally as if I've made no progress... Wish there were nice easy solutions to these worries.....
Perhaps not!
Take care guys
ed

seh1980
08-09-04, 15:57
hello my darling edward,

I'm glad that you have signed up to the site and are getting to know everyone!! It's just so typical that you had a panic attack at the same place that I had one the first time we went!! - maybe we were meant to be? LOL
maybe next time we go, we can tackle it together and we'll both do really well.

Sarah xxx :D

tara
08-09-04, 18:24
Hi Ed, i can totally relate to your symptoms, my eyes feel like they are going to pop out of my head, can't focus, my head feels like it going to explode, confused, just want to run away as fast as i can, my eyes aslo plat tricks on me too. Not so long ago a saw a packet of ciggeretes on top of my video, i got up to get them and..............they wern't there LOL
My eyes ofen used to play tricks on me and i'd get real anxious about it until one day i thought "stuff this" i'm just going to laugh about it, and i did LOL. As for meds, i've dealt with my anxiety/panic/depression with and without meds and the meds have helped me loads so i can only recommend them, Hope this helps Tara xx

lainey
09-09-04, 08:54
Hi Ed

Hope you are feeling better today

Take care

Elaine x

Meg
09-09-04, 17:01
Hi Ed,

What you're describing is very common for us all . The head popping bit is awful but as you know it's just a chemical rush and does eventually pass.

You may feel so terrible now beacuse you've been thinking about it all the time since then and keeping that adrenalin seeping out. Deep relaxation and exercise will both help get you out of it .

I didnt though, i sat tight and started sweating so much. I daren't laugh in case i pass out. You did well to stay there but laughing wouldn't have harmed you and may well have helped a bit but I guess suddenly none of it seemed at all funny.

My next thought was the last thing i want in a comedy show is to collapse in front of everybody so run!!!

This is where you went wrong.
You had the initial recognization thought about what had 'popped ' but this next thought started off the panic and kept it going . Had you thought instead . OK, I've had this before and I know I won't pass out you would have still been uncomfortable but not have freaked as much .

Its always the 2nd thought - the reactive thought to a situation that determines the physical response .

I'm feeling helpless, hopeless, generally as if I've made no progress Its the first acute period in 9 months . Thats good going . Blip .

I hope you're doing better today

Meg

Anxiety is a thin stream of fear trickling through the mind.
If encouraged, it cuts a channel into which all other thoughts are drained.
Robert Albert Bloch

ed
10-09-04, 16:48
Hey everyone,
Thanks for all your support, you know when you're down a little support and sympathy goes a long way. I'm feeling a little better today, don't know why but heh thats cool! i'll stress that, a little better!
Tara, so nice to know that someone else has such similar symptoms to me-thought perhaps I was alone on the eye thing!!iv'e seen a few funny things in the corner of my eye!!!!
The funniest one was real though, it freaked me out!!!I was standing in my kitchen making some food-i'm the chef in this house!
The next thing I know a bird flew in the window and perched on the ledge in my kitchen- I sensed the movement, turned round and very politely said...
'wot you doing? get outta here!!!':(
Thankfully it jumped up, turned round and flew back out!!!!
I can talk to the animals apparently......
Take care guys:D
ed

<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">Hi Ed,

What you're describing is very common for us all . The head popping bit is awful but as you know it's just a chemical rush and does eventually pass.

You may feel so terrible now beacuse you've been thinking about it all the time since then and keeping that adrenalin seeping out. Deep relaxation and exercise will both help get you out of it .

I didnt though, i sat tight and started sweating so much. I daren't laugh in case i pass out. You did well to stay there but laughing wouldn't have harmed you and may well have helped a bit but I guess suddenly none of it seemed at all funny.

My next thought was the last thing i want in a comedy show is to collapse in front of everybody so run!!!

This is where you went wrong.
You had the initial recognization thought about what had 'popped ' but this next thought started off the panic and kept it going . Had you thought instead . OK, I've had this before and I know I won't pass out you would have still been uncomfortable but not have freaked as much .

Its always the 2nd thought - the reactive thought to a situation that determines the physical response .

I'm feeling helpless, hopeless, generally as if I've made no progress Its the first acute period in 9 months . Thats good going . Blip .

I hope you're doing better today

Meg

Anxiety is a thin stream of fear trickling through the mind.
If encouraged, it cuts a channel into which all other thoughts are drained.
Robert Albert Bloch

<div align="right">Originally posted by Meg - 09 September 2004 : 17:01:36</div id="right">
</td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">

sal
12-09-04, 01:35
Hi Ed

Pleased to hear you are feeling a little better and i am sorry whilst you have been through a bad time i wasnt there to help you and Sarah.

But i hope you know i am and really appreciate the support you have offered me with Samantha.

Will be calling you both tomorrow to see if you are in and will call round after work. If you need anything text me ok hon.

And thanks for you both been such a geat support to me and sorry if i have let you down.

Love Sal xxxxx

ed
14-09-04, 10:33
Hi everyone!
Just thought I'd let you know that I went to the drs this morning and got myself meds. He was very friendly and it wasn't as bad as I thought it might be! I've got to go back on monday for blood tests, yuk!!!I think thats just a precaution so I'm not going to worry about it.
Anway, wish me luck...
ed

Karen
14-09-04, 12:02
Hi Ed

I'm glad it went well for you at the doctors this morning. I know you were worried about going but well done for doing it. I hope you are proud of yourself.

Did you get the meds you wanted?

Take care.

Briary

sal
14-09-04, 18:04
Hi Ed

Pleased you went to the doctors this morning and he gave you some medication. I think how you are feeling it is the best thing you could have done.

I am sure the blood tests will be fine and like you say a precaution.

Hope the tablets really help you get back in hold of it all.

Good luck and see you soon.

Love Sal xxxxx

seh1980
14-09-04, 21:48
hello Ed,

I'm glad you have been precribed medication and I'm sure you will start to feel better soon. They have helped me loads and I'm sure they will do the same for you!! I'll look after you, I promise...

Sarah :D

lainey
15-09-04, 09:11
Hi Ed

Glad you've been prescribed medication, as requested here's loads of luck for Monday with your blood tests, I'm sure you'' be fine, aftre all all you have Sarah to look after you.

Take care chuck

Elaine x

jo-jo
15-09-04, 11:44
Hiya Ed

Good for you for going to the doctors - I'm sure the meds will help you loads. I've been on Fluoxetine (Prozac) since the end of may and I'm virtually panic-free now, with just the occasional anxiety blip but it doesn't stop me doing anything and I feel loads more confident.

Wishing you heaps of luck for the bloods - make sure Sarah pampers you meanwhile!

Best wishes, love Jo x