PDA

View Full Version : Been Prescribed Effexor -discontinuing Mirt

Munchlet
09-06-15, 07:23
Hi

So I've given up with Mirt, I know I probably didn't give it long enough (just over a week) but the side effects were horrific for me.

I am disappointed as I read some really good things about it but after starting on a 7.5mg dose I just felt completely out of it all the time. I had no energy whatsoever, put on 4lb in a week due to carb cravings, my nose and mouth were so dried out my nose was cracked and bleeding inside. It seemed to trigger my acid reflux which was far worse than normal and on top of that I've had the most horrific Brain zaps which seem pretty much constant.

So I threw in the towel, the main thing for me was not being able to cope with weight gain, half my depression stems from being overweight so I just didn't feel it was going to do me any good whatsoever, gaining weight.

So now I'm switched to Effexor, going to give a couple of days break first, I didn't take Mirt yesterday and already today I feel far more awake, no acid reflux.

Just wondering what to expect from this one, I getting a bit down about it as I feel like I've tried so many drugs now and to date the only one that has given me tolerable side effects was fluoxetine so hoping that effexor suits me.

Anyone got good stories about this drug?

Thanks

tommackent88
09-06-15, 20:21
Hi

I started on Ven 18 days ago. I have also tried many other meds and had some horrible side effects - Fluoxitine being the kindest to me.

If I'm honest, the first week on ven is tough. But today has been the first day of relief I've had from anxiety and depression for over a year. I'm hoping it's a sign of things to come.

Stick with it. Wishing you all the best

Munchlet
10-06-15, 14:51
Thank you for your reply, I'm quite happy to put up with side effects to start I'm sure I had them with Fluoxetine but it's that long ago I can't remember!

I think sometimes you just know if a drug is going to agree with you or not which is why I threw the towel in so early on with Mirt as I knew I just couldn't handle the weight gain.

Will keep you posted but it's good to hear that it is working for you, especially as you seem to have a similar history to me with only Fluoxetine being the one that seemed to provide any relief.

Thanks again and here's to your continuing recovery. :)

Pipkin
10-06-15, 18:58
I've been on venlafaxine for over three years and it has been a life saver. Admittedly, it's hard at first and takes a while to kick in fully but my life has changed no end. I find it has few side effects and just makes life more bearable, almost to the point of what I imagine an anxiety-free existence to be like (I've never been anxiety free so that's just a guess on my part).

You will hear horror stories about all ADs with the main one about venlafaxine being its difficulty to discontinue. I've experienced this twice before and I won't pretend it's easy. However, compared to anxiety at its worst, it was far easier. In any case, focus on getting better and cross that bridge when you come to it. That's my philosophy and it works for me.

Good luck

Pip

Munchlet
11-06-15, 19:55
Thanks for your reply Pipkin, it really helps to hear good stories about it, people only ever seem keen to post their bad experiences online which is why I love this board so much as you get an honest answer.

I have heard about it being difficult to discontinue but many years ago I was on Paxil for a while and came of that with no problems, so I won't let that put me off. If anything I've had more problems getting off Fluoxetine in the past which is supposedly one of the best for no withdrawal symptoms. I think everyone is different and it's just luck of the draw but certainly not going to let that put me off giving it a go.

I'm planning on a few more days of not taking anything and starting it on Monday that way I would have had a full break of a week and hopefully the Mirt will be out of my system ( I only took it just over a week so can't take too long to get out hopefully!).

Will keep everyone posted on how it goes. Thanks again

MyNameIsTerry
12-06-15, 08:01
It takes any drug 4-5 half lives to reach "steady-state" in your body. So, if you want to be really sure you could go 5 X the max half life. Thats not much longer then the week you were planning anyway since Mirt has a half-life of 20-40 hours.

tommackent88
18-06-15, 19:06
Hi Munchlet

How is the Venlafaxine treating you?

Best wishes

Munchlet
19-06-15, 20:15
Hi Tom

I haven't actually started it yet. I wanted to ensure all the other meds were out my system first and I was having horrific brain zaps which have been tapering out so I wanted to start in on a clean sheet, if that makes sense?

Having said that my mood has been really good over the last week or so, my anxiety levels have been normal so I'm just going to keep going for a while. I'm sure I will need to start taking it soon and have it ready but I'm just enjoying the feeling of been off of all medication for a while, it's been so long I'd kind of got used to feeling slightly off all the time but I actually feel pretty good, so just thought I'd enjoy it whilst it lasts!

:)

tommackent88
20-06-15, 10:57
That sounds very sensible indeed! Who knows, you might not need it at all!

jcd_gad
21-06-15, 20:42
Hi,

I've been on Mirtazepene, and tapered across to Venlafaxine. I found the process very difficult, I was constandly in tears tired, the Dr prescribed me with Diazepam. It took a few weeks for my mood to level. Not to mention the fact I kept throwing up.

TAKE it WITH FOOD!!

tommackent88
21-06-15, 21:31
Hi jcd.

Can I ask how long it took to get the dose right and how long the side effects lasted for? I know that to begin with the anxiety gets a little worse so I also take diazepam.

I've had a few days relief from anxiety but I keep hitting rock bottom again and again. I'm now on 75mg and due to increase to 112.5 in a couple of weeks.